According to Kristian Jack of The Score.com's twitter. He's going to become assistant GM to Mo Johnston at TFC.

This is being discussed in the TFC roster thread (now that TFC is down to 4.5 Canucks), but given that this officially means he's done for the national team, thought it worth mentioning here.

He's only 32... and looked ok against Columbus...?

Yeah he looked ok... I think he's still got a couple years left if he wanted to drag it out.

Why attach yourself to a guy who's life span might be six months? Johnston is finished, it's just a matter of when.

But if Brennan will be working directly under Mo, wouldn't Brennan also be at risk when MLSE deliver the inevitable clear-out of management staff?

I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy is being groomed as the replacement to Mo...

I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy is being groomed as the replacement to Mo...

That could be a big mistake if that is the case. Brennan may or may not have the ability for that job but after MLSE finally wakes up to the fact that Mo is a complete incompetent, TFC would probably need an experienced manager with a record of success not a former player rookie manager.

His winning goal at Varsity Stadium in front of about 10,000 Jamaican supporters remains one of my favourite memories from the nats....and the ensuing euphoria of ramming a hard-earned victory down the throats of so many 'anti-Canadian Canadians' was a catalyst for me searching out the Voyageurs in the first place.

Recent controversy with the nats or not, he has made a huge contribution to Canadian soccer over the course of his career. Thanks Jimmy B. All the best at Toronto's Football Circus.

That could be a big mistake if that is the case. Brennan may or may not have the ability for that job but after MLSE finally wakes up to the fact that Mo is a complete incompetent, TFC would probably need an experienced manager with a record of success not a former player rookie manager.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is thrilled with that possibility.

He was terrific earlier this decade. After our surprising Gold Cup win sent us on to the land of giants -- 2001 FIFA Confederations Cup, I believe he was the only Canadian to be part of the all-tournament selection.

Jim Brennan is without any doubt the Best left sided midfielder in the history of Canadian Soccer.

Thanks for the memories Jimmy.

I wasn't exactly around to witness it, but didn't we have a pretty handy winger for Celtic back in the 50s or something? That said, Jimmy B has probably been the best, most consistent member of the national team in my short decade or so of support. Should we put together some kind of card or award recognizing his service when the year-end Vs awards come about?

Sounds to me like Jim was about to be cut. Was there any rumblings about him and Preki not getting along? For the captain to quit on the eve of the season opener either makes him a selfish tool, or someone who just didn't want to be cut.

Edited by RJB
  • 5 years later...

My favourite answer from the AMA was not included in that article. It really speaks to the value of hard work over talent. It also speaks to the untapped pool here in Canada that simply does not see going pro as an option (due to the immense commitment that needs to be made). Fortunately, that is slowly changing.

Q: Growing up, how much better at football were you than those around you?

A: Their was some very good players that I played with and players that were better than me. The difference was I wanted to be a pro and would do what ever it took to be one.

Edited by kohanz