Haber back to Whitecaps??

nolando

In hindsight, WBA probably wasn't a great move in terms of playing time in England, as I can't see him playing in the premiership anytime soon, and perhaps ever. A slightly strapped-for-cash lower-table Championship squad like Owls might have been a better option but it seems he (well, the Caps, really) has taken the best offer on the table, and it's hard to fault him for that. But if they (WBA) don't plan on developing him direvtly, then what is really the point? It's almost an investment move on their part, a move that severely limits Haber's mobility, presumably.

I still think he might be a great fit for B2 or Holland for the short term, but we shall see. Maybe he will be first team regular for Whitecaps MLS? Is that the best case scenario, I wonder?

This is not a good sign for Canadian soccer when he has to move right back for opportunities.

TBH, what's the difference between being loan to a L1 team or the Whitecaps? I think the best thing for Marcus is to be back in Vancouver for 2-3 months and go back to WBA for a full preseason with an EPL squad (if they make it there).

TBH, what's the difference between being loan to a L1 team or the Whitecaps? I think the best thing for Marcus is to be back in Vancouver for 2-3 months and go back to WBA for a full preseason with an EPL squad (if they make it there).

Exactly, Whitecaps are just as good as Exeter City and probably better for his development as, he will get loads more playing time. Will end up in WBA next season when he can stick with the CCC/EPL team depending on where they lay up for next years campaign.

totally agree.

it would be a short term loan, likely, and he would be right back in England in the fall. guys like Marcus just need to play as much as possible.

Exactly, Whitecaps are just as good as Exeter City and probably better for his development as, he will get loads more playing time. Will end up in WBA next season when he can stick with the CCC/EPL team depending on where they lay up for next years campaign.

True, except from a UK perspective scoring goals in L1 probably has more "cache" than scoring goals in USSF D2.

Still, I agree this wouldn't nearly be as bad a move as "it seems".

True, except from a UK perspective scoring goals in L1 probably has more "cache" than scoring goals in USSF D2.

Still, I agree this wouldn't nearly be as bad a move as "it seems".

Well, to be fair the UK perspective is you gotta score whne eveyrone is watching when you at L1 like a la Beckford this year with Leeds. You can go unoticed in L1 in certain cases. This case though since he is property of a team higher up, its a moot point they will be watching him carefully whether he is here or there and will get his chance accordingly. I think Haber will end up proving more over here as I really believe a second stint with the Caps and he will really shine, as opposed to be somehwere he would half to re earn his time while trying to impress WBA at the same time, here he can come in be assured of some time as the coach has confidence in him and just go out to impress.

Never know, he might light up Div. 2 this season and end up a starting 11 prospect for a top half CCC club or Bundesliga or B2 club. I'm surprised with all the connections that the Caps have with the Budesliga that Haber didn't end up making a move over there.

I don't think this is a bad move for Haber. He gave England a shot but instead of rotting on the bench he realizes he will develop more at home in Vancouver getting consistent playing time and as said earlier I bet he will take another shot at Europe.

I don't think he did himself any harm going over there, he had a few good games for Exeter! It's really hard to compare leagues but I think some games with a relegation threatened League One side can only be good for his overall development!

That makes complete sense. Keep him playing at a decent level where he will get game time during the UK off season. Next fall he goes back in great shape and with more experience. I would love to see Marcus playing for the Caps again this season even if it is for less than a full season.

Marlon is a great player but has had injury problems, REB is young and will get a lot better but is also racking up a few too many injuries as is Dever. I hope they will all stay healthy for the full season but you never know and having a workhorse like Marcus back would be great. That was one thing that Gbeke was excellent for was, putting in 90 minute games for almost the whole season.

We do need some experienced, durable forward to supplement what we have and Marcus fits the bill despite his youth. By the way it would take a total meltdown of epic proportions for WBA not to be promoted to the EPL next year. They are 9 points clear of the 3rd place spot with 4 games to go.

Are people seriously suggesting that Exeter is a better development environment for Haber than the Whitecaps? Thank God he got the hell out of there.

Whitecaps confirm today - Haber returning on loan to the Whitecaps. He will remain with the team until June 15th, before returning to WBA for pre-season training. He will be available for 14 matches, including voyageurs cup games.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/archive/feature04091001.aspx

hehehe I read that one perfectly ;)

Good move for Marcus and it's nice to have the chance to see a little bit more of him this summer.

Archived