April 2010 = Birth of l'Olympique de Montreal???

Seb of Mtl

We are you people talking about the same sh*t over and over. So what Joey did any interview on the radio this past week (saturday) talking about the Milan and Fiorentina game 95% of the time and for 30 seconds they talked about MLS. Listen, nothing is going to change at this point you have to wait.. Let the situation unfold and give it time. And what's with Olympic Montreal??? The name isn't gonna be changed. MONTREAL IMPACT FC and nothing else. get it threw your heads

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are you people talking about the same sh*t over and over. So what Joey did any interview on the radio this past week (saturday) talking about the Milan and Fiorentina game 95% of the time and for 30 seconds they talked about MLS. Listen, nothing is going to change at this point you have to wait.. Let the situation unfold and give it time. And what's with Olympic Montreal??? The name isn't gonna be changed. MONTREAL IMPACT FC and nothing else. get it threw your heads

the name wont change if so id be surprised and in terms of the timing of the official announcement, i think it will be sometime in between when the habs get eliminated and when the als season starts. to get the most coverage possible and get the season ticket sale underway, it would be foolish to do it while the habs are still playing hockey in the spring. So im pretty sure the impact understands the nature of the beast that is the montreal sports market and will do the announcement once the dust settles on the habs season.

^ Agree about the Habs elimination theory.

I know for a fact that many people from Toronto seem to forget there is still NHL hockey in spring. And it's my pleasure to remind them that. :)

A lotta Toronto soccer fans I know (I'm not one of them) seem to view the Leafs or hockey in general as an "us v. them" thing... Toronto Hockey fans seem to feel threatened by soccer so they simply accuse it of being a sport for pussy's... Soccer fans are then left in a position to have to defend the sport as a whole...

Most the soccer people I know could care less about hockey or the Leafs... even 5 years ago, when the Leafs were not just a playoff team, but a team that regularly made it past the first round (unlike the other Eastern Canadian teams).

During the playoffs, they were always the smug A-holes that would arrogantly identify how nobody gives a sh*t about hockey outside of Canada.... I'm probably the only one that follows the Stanley Cup playoffs regularly... the rest of them hate hockey, hockey fans, the Leafs and the whole concept that hockey is not played in their parents "homeland"

A lotta Toronto soccer fans I know (I'm not one of them) seem to view the Leafs or hockey in general as an "us v. them" thing... Toronto Hockey fans seem to feel threatened by soccer so they simply accuse it of being a sport for pussy's... Soccer fans are then left in a position to have to defend the sport as a whole...

Most the soccer people I know could care less about hockey or the Leafs... even 5 years ago, when the Leafs were not just a playoff team, but a team that regularly made it past the first round (unlike the other Eastern Canadian teams).

During the playoffs, they were always the smug A-holes that would arrogantly identify how nobody gives a sh*t about hockey outside of Canada.... I'm probably the only one that follows the Stanley Cup playoffs regularly... the rest of them hate hockey, hockey fans, the Leafs and the whole concept that hockey is not played in their parents "homeland"

It's a little different for me. I know a lot more softcore soccer fans than hardcore ones, but in the end, IN GENERAL, they all follow the Habs. It's more like a family (the Québec family) thing here and I see hockey as something that unites every culture you can find in MTL and the rest of the province. It unites peole whether you are from a little village or the big city, you were born here or you're an immigrant, you're franco or anglo, you're a young arrogant teenager or a wise old man, you're from Hochelaga (not much $) or Westmount (very much $), etc.

That's especially true with people who are let's say 35 and younger. My barber is Italian and a big Juventus fan but he also loves the Habs. In fact, I'm living very close to Little Italy and about 40 % of my neighbours are Italian people and I see interest in them, I see Habs flags and GO HABS written in front of some bars/cafés also.

I think the group that cares less (i.e. not at all) about hockey is the "yo sh*t yo, borderline gangsta culture" people who think the only sport that is cool or chill enough for them is basketball. But there again, it's not even about the sport itself but just the culture that surrounds it. I understand there's the Raptors in TO so basketball will draw interest from people of all the different "focus groups" once you've got a team in town, but that's not the case here. I'm not saying only hip-hop culture people like basketball here, but this is far more the case here than in TO.

Back to soccer, I don't feel hockey fans here feel threatened by soccer, they just don't care "cause there's not enough goals, so it's automatically boring". They have no problems with the Impact and everything that's soccer, but don't talk too much about it on sports radio cause hockey-only people will remind them THE SHOW'S F*CKING BORING when they talk too much (i.e. more than 20-30 minutes) about the Impact, not to say Barça. Football is now a step further: hockey-only people understand that's normal we talk once in a while about football cause there's the Als and then there's the God-sent NFL. But it took a decade and a half of winning the division almost every year and making the playoffs EVERY year to reach that level of "understanding". Once the Impact will be in MLS for a decade AND showing winning records, then soccer will reach the level of importance football has currently. Obviously, hockey will always be #1 in MTL but I sincerely think that in the not-that-far future, soccer will be see as the complementary sport of choice to hockey-first people.

This is not even remotely true.

This is not even remotely true.

Might not be true in the burbs, but in Toronto, as in, South of Steeles, I find theirs an us v. them thing. Not just TFC fans, but soccer fans in general. I didn't know too many people from the 905, so I wouldn't be able to comment on how they think.

One observation I made, the few times I did venture North of Steeles, is that their is a heck of a lot more Leaf flags on cars, than in Toronto. So maybe their are a lot more hockey fans, some of which follow soccer as well.

But pretty much everybody I know in Toronto, and the attitude I see is that soccer fans don't care much about hockey, and hockey fans don'T care much about soccer.

From my own personal experience, Toronto Hockey fans I know argue with me about the merits of soccer all the time, like its "boring" or its a "girls sport". And I find myself having to defend hockey to soccer fans... things like "u can't even see the puck" or "I'd rather watch UFC for a good fight"...

Might not be true in the burbs, but in Toronto, as in, South of Steeles, I find theirs an us v. them thing. Not just TFC fans, but soccer fans in general. I didn't know too many people from the 905, so I wouldn't be able to comment on how they think.

One observation I made, the few times I did venture North of Steeles, is that their is a heck of a lot more Leaf flags on cars, than in Toronto. So maybe their are a lot more hockey fans, some of which follow soccer as well.

But pretty much everybody I know in Toronto, and the attitude I see is that soccer fans don't care much about hockey, and hockey fans don'T care much about soccer.

From my own personal experience, Toronto Hockey fans I know argue with me about the merits of soccer all the time, like its "boring" or its a "girls sport". And I find myself having to defend hockey to soccer fans... things like "u can't even see the puck" or "I'd rather watch UFC for a good fight"...

Yeah, over here we generally like both sports. The type of hockey fan you describe seems like the 40 year guy born in Canada. Likewise, your soccer fan seems like a 40 year old immigrant.

Yeah, over here we generally like both sports. The type of hockey fan you describe seems like the 40 year guy born in Canada. Likewise, your soccer fan seems like a 40 year old immigrant.

lol, its true, but some folks I guess take a lot from their fathers as well... I find a lot of younger, new immigrants from soccer playing countries have the same attitude towards hockey.

lol, its true, but some folks I guess take a lot from their fathers as well... I find a lot of younger, new immigrants from soccer playing countries have the same attitude towards hockey.

No doubt. A lot of Serbian immigrants (not labeling them all like this) tend to hold apathetic views towards hockey.

No doubt. A lot of Serbian immigrants (not labeling them all like this) tend to hold apathetic views towards hockey.

Well, somebody should talk to them about, the late Peter Zezel... appeal to Serbian nationalism, always works... I believe hes a former Canadian U-21, drafted by the Toronto Blizzards in the NASL and also played a few games in the CSL... however, hes best known for his NHL career, playing for 7 teams including the LEafs and CAnucks.

What a bunch of stereotypical b.s.! I'm a Toronto soccer fan and i love Hockey! Just cuz a few ignoramuses feel the need to knock another sport doesn't mean there's a sport war in this city. My tenant upstairs just came to Canada from Turkey last September and he's already watching the Leafs and asking me how to get his son into hockey. There are tonnes of examples of that, just watch any Leaf game on LeafsTV when Adnan Virk does his segment, interviewing Leafs fans of various ethnic backgrounds (i forgot what the segment is called).

What a bunch of stereotypical b.s.! I'm a Toronto soccer fan and i love Hockey! Just cuz a few ignoramuses feel the need to knock another sport doesn't mean there's a sport war in this city. My tenant upstairs just came to Canada from Turkey last September and he's already watching the Leafs and asking me how to get his son into hockey. There are tonnes of examples of that, just watch any Leaf game on LeafsTV when Adnan Virk does his segment, interviewing Leafs fans of various ethnic backgrounds (i forgot what the segment is called).

Agreed. Of my circle of roughly 10 or 12 Canadian-born, soccer playing, Impact season-ticket holding friends, we are all big Habs fans also. Many of us also play ball hockey. The other guys we play soccer with are a Taiwanese, a Moroccan, and several Mexicans, the Taiwanese and Moroccan are interested in, and watch hockey, if slightly mystified by the rules, and the Mexicans respect it but don't really watch. However I will say that almost all old-school hockey purists I know vary between outright disdain for soccer, and thinly-veiled distaste, born of ignorance about it.

My tenant upstairs just came to Canada from Turkey last September and he's already watching the Leafs and asking me how to get his son into hockey. There are tonnes of examples of that, just watch any Leaf game on LeafsTV when Adnan Virk does his segment, interviewing Leafs fans of various ethnic backgrounds (i forgot what the segment is called).

Well, I'd be the perfect example of that. My dad immigrated to Canada, via Edmonton, Alberta before settling in Red Deer. He thought hockey was the only way I'd ever fit in and not be as different, so he put me into hockey from when I was 4... still doesn't like the sport, but had the "when in Rome" mentality.

That said, I was the only minority in my hockey team from when I was 4 all the way to 17 y/o... I know its Red Deer, but even the local house soccer league had a bit of diversity in the area...

In Toronto, I volunteered for a local rep hockey team (Don Mills), and even in a city as diverse as Toronto, their were like 2 or 3 visual minorities on the team, same for the other rep teams in the area.

Archived