April 2010 = Birth of l'Olympique de Montreal???

Seb of Mtl

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to awaken your ear drums but the Alouettes and les Alouettes as well as the Canadians and les Canadien is fairly easy to say both in french and english and they are catchy!

Les Olympique de Montreal, or the olimpique from Montreal not as much in both french and english actually.

I am just saying its a wise marketing choise to pick a name that people want and that sounds good. Thats why I would like to have the fans vote for the team name!

Whatever the name ill still be at the game too!

That is once again just a stupid argument. Noone, English or French, is going to call it The Olympique From Montreal. English Montrealers are perfectly capable of saying Les Olympique de Montreal if that were the name chosen. If we were so obsessed with changing the names to English then the Allouettes would be called the Montreal Skylarks in English. Nor do they change the e in Canadiens to anglicize it even when writing in English. One may be in favour or against this name for various valid reasons but the lack of it being perfectly bilingual is not one of them. We live in a majority French city so why should anyone have any problem with a team having a French name especially when the other existing teams already have one.

Until we get some confirmation from a better source it is a waste of time debating this name anyway.

According to the Provincial Registry of Quebec the name belonged to an association. It was stricken off the record (radiation) Dec 12 , 2009.

NOM DE L'ASSUJETTI DATE DÉBUT DATE FIN STATUT

====================================== ========== ========== ==========

OLYMPIQUE DE MONTRÉAL 2004-10-27 2009-12-12 ANTÉRIEUR

Probably the Club just floating the name out there to gauge public reaction. Remember the Inter Toronto rumours floated out there prior to the name launch?

I can't imagine Saputo forgetting to register the name. Story must be bogus.

call it whatever you like....just get montreal in there...with the new DP slots added i am sure that saputo will bring in a top italian for the fans to enjoy.....montreal will sellout every game and the stadium will be redone in no time to get it even bigger than the 20k the mls wants....it will be with toronto, seattle, vancouver and even portland the most profitable teams in the league for sure.....the fans won't be the same as they get now(gamilies and kids)....they will target the real soccer fans, the ones that were at the 2009 Santos game....no music and games behind the net that day, only real football fans that came out to see the high quality game....montreal has plenty of soccer fans and trust me, they will be a force to be recken with in 2012 when they get in the league....i could also see the saputo's covering more of the stadium, down the road, to prevent rain and snow ruining their attendances....just like toronto will do soon....te ultras are ok now, but when they announce something, there will hundreds of more people creating new groups all over that soccer crazy city.....proof: 2006 Italy win of WCP....little italy was jammed with hundreds of thousands of people to celebrate......this will be truly a great team and great experiance to be a part of!!!!!!!go montreal

IMPACT, OLYMPIQUES or whatever!!!!!!

I imagine things differently. At first, IMFC will not have two DP; not even one. Paying the 35M fee is risky enough. If no other private investor shows up there will be no DP. There will be a maximum number of players from the current roster. More than what Seattle brought in. As Saputo said earlier, they will add maybe 4 players to the current team. If the public’s answer is good and IMFC makes money then the club will spend more. But at first, I don’t even think they will be close to the salary cap.

I imagine things differently. At first, IMFC will not have two DP; not even one. Paying the 35M fee is risky enough. If no other private investor shows up there will be no DP. There will be a maximum number of players from the current roster. More than what Seattle brought in. As Saputo said earlier, they will add maybe 4 players to the current team. If the public’s answer is good and IMFC makes money then the club will spend more. But at first, I don’t even think they will be close to the salary cap.

Well it's gonna be difficult to make more money than the Impact makes now with only an MLS team... MLS doesn't have much more prestige around european-canadian soccer circles than the USL. A DP would be necessary to appeal to these people, who do not attend Impact games mainly because of the level of play. The other way to see it is that they will bring in a good DP as an investment, and hope that this alone will sell out games... at least that's what I think.

Well it's gonna be difficult to make more money than the Impact makes now with only an MLS team... MLS doesn't have much more prestige around european-canadian soccer circles than the USL. A DP would be necessary to appeal to these people, who do not attend Impact games mainly because of the level of play. The other way to see it is that they will bring in a good DP as an investment, and hope that this alone will sell out games... at least that's what I think.

I disagree with this. MLS has a lot more prestige around soccer fans I talk to in Montreal who don't or rarely go to Impact games. I don't think it is entirely deserved based on the small difference in playing level but the league is far better marketed and has recognizeable names. Additionally, I think the raising of the salary of the lower paid players is going to greatly improve the level of play in MLS and make more of a gap between it and NASL/USL in the years to come, far more so than adding another DP. The extra DP though will add more name players and do more for the image of the league among a certain segment of "soccer fans" that montrealjuventus is referring to as real soccer fans. I would refer to them more as soccer fans who need marketing and image to come to a game or a marquee player from their ethnic group. The real soccer fans are the soccer fans going to Impact games right now (by which I don't mean the families there on discount/free tickets). Yes we will need the other type of soccer fan when we go to MLS but don't tell me they are real soccer fans.

I disagree with this. MLS has a lot more prestige around soccer fans I talk to in Montreal who don't or rarely go to Impact games. I don't think it is entirely deserved based on the small difference in playing level but the league is far better marketed and has recognizeable names. Additionally, I think the raising of the salary of the lower paid players is going to greatly improve the level of play in MLS and make more of a gap between it and NASL/USL in the years to come, far more so than adding another DP. The extra DP though will add more name players and do more for the image of the league among a certain segment of "soccer fans" that montrealjuventus is referring to as real soccer fans. I would refer to them more as soccer fans who need marketing and image to come to a game or a marquee player from their ethnic group. The real soccer fans are the soccer fans going to Impact games right now (by which I don't mean the families there on discount/free tickets). Yes we will need the other type of soccer fan when we go to MLS but don't tell me they are real soccer fans.

+1

I disagree with this. MLS has a lot more prestige around soccer fans I talk to in Montreal who don't or rarely go to Impact games. I don't think it is entirely deserved based on the small difference in playing level but the league is far better marketed and has recognizeable names.

I do not doubt that it may have more prestige around certain soccer fans, but with some other soccer fans it means nothing (ex; all my arab friends don't give a shit about MLS, with or without Beckham, but they follow the CL, EPL, Liga, whatever).

I do not doubt that it may have more prestige around certain soccer fans, but with some other soccer fans it means nothing (ex; all my arab friends don't give a shit about MLS, with or without Beckham, but they follow the CL, EPL, Liga, whatever).

It is different when you have a team in the city you live in.

I don't care where I was living, I would check out the local team.

These guys will be the in the season tickets waiting list.

I agree, real soccer fans (+2 to Grizzly) go out and support the local team no matter the level, I follow EPL and Champions league but I also go to TFC and Impact games, and I also attended games of the Attak and the local Ottawa Fury teams.

Do your Arab friends support the leagues from the country's they are from? If they do then they certainly can't have a problem with the level of soccer being offered up by MLS/NASL/USL. The Arab leagues are good development leagues but the level of play is nothing to brag about. (And yes I have seen games in Tunesia live) I mean no one can argue with guys that follow the big 4 European leagues that the level of play is much superior than here but it always surprises me how many fans of mediocre leagues put down the North American level of play and then put the blinders on when overvaluing the level of play in the league they support.

Do your Arab friends support the leagues from the country's they are from? If they do then they certainly can't have a problem with the level of soccer being offered up by MLS/NASL/USL. The Arab leagues are good development leagues but the level of play is nothing to brag about. (And yes I have seen games in Tunesia live) I mean no one can argue with guys that follow the big 4 European leagues that the level of play is much superior than here but it always surprises me how many fans of mediocre leagues put down the North American level of play and then put the blinders on when overvaluing the level of play in the league they support.

Kinda like when the Impact beat the Syrian national team, my friend who is from Damascus was extremely arogant and smug before the match and fully expected Syria to win like 4-0....

Let's just say his pride took quite a beating that day...He assumed (without ever seeing the Impact play) that just because the Impact is a North American squad that his team would roll all over us.

Kinda like when the Impact beat the Syrian national team, my friend who is from Damascus was extremely arogant and smug before the match and fully expected Syria to win like 4-0....

Let's just say his pride took quite a beating that day...He assumed (without ever seeing the Impact play) that just because the Impact is a North American squad that his team would roll all over us.

Exactly! I am sure that before the match he would have told you how much better their league was than the USL but then their national team can't even beat the Impact.

I thought that result was very funny, without disrespecting anyone. But very few of my friends are syrians so I did not have the opportunity to enjoy it to the fullest.

That makes me think, would it be better to bring a north african DP than an italian, french one? I have the impression that North Africans would show up in numbers.

I thought that result was very funny, without disrespecting anyone. But very few of my friends are syrians so I did not have the opportunity to enjoy it to the fullest.

That makes me think, would it be better to bring a north african DP than an italian, french one? I have the impression that North Africans would show up in numbers.

In order for the team to truly be a success, it can't rely on any of that, and I don't think it will need to.

Support the team, not some player based on ethnicity. The same people who would do such a thing, will be the first people to say it's the wrong player.... it really doesn't end with them.

Just leave em behind.

Like I said above, they will be waiting in the season ticket waiting list begging to get on a train that already left the station.

call it whatever you like....just get montreal in there...with the new DP slots added i am sure that saputo will bring in a top italian for the fans to enjoy.....montreal will sellout every game and the stadium will be redone in no time to get it even bigger than the 20k the mls wants....

IMPACT, OLYMPIQUES or whatever!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't think the Impact will need a DP, with the marketing power of MLS, the Impact will sell out 20 000 per game easily.

When Toronto FC entered the league with the marketing power of MLS, they did so without a DP, and sold out quickly... BMO Field attracked a ton of Italian TFC fans, from Little Italy, Corso Italia AND Woodbridge.

It wasn't until the third season that they signed Julian De Guzman as their DP, and even then, De Guzman is NOT a signing to appeal some ethnic community. IF anything, it appealed to the Voyageurs crowd or anybody that follows the MNT.

The closest thing to an "Italian Star" in 2007 was Andre Lombardo, and he was just a local boy from North York. Technically he's a dual Italian and CAnadian citizen, but I've seen photos of him sporting Toronto Raptors jerseys, so pretty sure hes born/raised in Canada.

Yeah, I don't think the Impact will need a DP, with the marketing power of MLS, the Impact will sell out 20 000 per game easily.

When Toronto FC entered the league with the marketing power of MLS, they did so without a DP, and sold out quickly... BMO Field attracked a ton of Italian TFC fans, from Little Italy, Corso Italia AND Woodbridge.

It wasn't until the third season that they signed Julian De Guzman as their DP, and even then, De Guzman is NOT a signing to appeal some ethnic community. IF anything, it appealed to the Voyageurs crowd or anybody that follows the MNT.

The closest thing to an "Italian Star" in 2007 was Andre Lombardo, and he was just a local boy from North York. Technically he's a dual Italian and CAnadian citizen, but I've seen photos of him sporting Toronto Raptors jerseys, so pretty sure hes born/raised in Canada.

In Toronto's case, it wasn't just MLS, it was MLSE. They can shake a stick and make things happen. I doubt Kerfoot will get 1/5 of the milage out of MLS that MLSE did/does. I hope he does, and I hope Montreal does too.

Archived