April 2010 = Birth of l'Olympique de Montreal???

Seb of Mtl

According to this website which is pretty much the TMZ of the montreal sports scene explains that the MLS/Saputo will announce the entrance in the league of the Montreal franchise on a weekend in April and they are currently working on a season ticket program. Finally, they mention that the team will carry the name of Olympique de Montreal.

http://25stanley.com/lang/fr/conference-de-presse-une-equipe-de-soccer-de-montreal-dans-la-mls.html

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it is an attempt to recognize the city's heritage. The Olympic part is used by many clubs around the world OL, OM, Olympiacos (Greece), CD Olimpia (Honduras) etc.

And yet we all know it's a shameless plug to appeal to supporters of Lyon and Marseille.

While I agree that it'd be interesting with the name change (would really love to see some UM02 post on this one, it's your club!), this site doesn't seem to be overly... professional, in a sense. I mean, if this was the Gazette or another well-recognized newspaper website reporting this, I doubt there'd be any question of its validity.

This has to be the biggest peice of **** I ever heard of!

First of all, Montreal should take exemple on Sounders who allowed for a vote for the team name. Now that is a good idea.

Second, the l'Olympique de Montreal is a terrible bilingual name. Keep in mind Montreal has a huge english population and it would be a huge marketing failure to get a name that is strickly nice to say or hear in french. Well mabey they would say ''the Ol'' but even that kinda sucks!

I would much prefer the Impact over that name even too it sounds good in french!

Thirdly the team and its name could be a point that both french and english speaking montrealers relate to else than its shitty roads, it's metro or its not so lefty provincial government!

Well what I am saying is that it could be nice if during TFC v Montreal matches, there was a bunch of anglo's not chearing for TFC ! Who could feel at home in that stadium!

Lets hope they follow the Sounders exemple!

You really think the following of Lyon and marseille is that strong where that's the reason why they are taking the name? Maybe an appeal to Olympiacos supporters as well? It's a good name, why not use it?

Now maybe someone could research this further, but from what i understand the Olympic name is now under copyright and that would prevent a team like Montreal from registering a new team name like this. Old ones were grandfathered in and didn't have to worry about the issue.

You really think the following of Lyon and marseille is that strong where that's the reason why they are taking the name? Maybe an appeal to Olympiacos supporters as well? It's a good name, why not use it?

Now maybe someone could research this further, but from what i understand the Olympic name is now under copyright and that would prevent a team like Montreal from registering a new team name like this. Old ones were grandfathered in and didn't have to worry about the issue.

Yes, yes I do believe that. Why ask the question when I already stated as much?

This has to be the biggest peice of **** I ever heard of!

First of all, Montreal should take exemple on Sounders who allowed for a vote for the team name. Now that is a good idea.

Second, the l'Olympique de Montreal is a terrible bilingual name. Keep in mind Montreal has a huge english population and it would be a huge marketing failure to get a name that is strickly nice to say or hear in french. Well mabey they would say ''the Ol'' but even that kinda sucks!

I would much prefer the Impact over that name even too it sounds good in french!

Thirdly the team and its name could be a point that both french and english speaking montrealers relate to else than its shitty roads, it's metro or its not so lefty provincial government!

Well what I am saying is that it could be nice if during TFC v Montreal matches, there was a bunch of anglo's not chearing for TFC ! Who could feel at home in that stadium!

Lets hope they follow the Sounders exemple!

Speaking as an English Montrealer, you have just written a lot of crap. Who cares if the name is bilingual or not? The other two major sport teams have non-bilingual French names and it hasn't hurt them one bit.

Since someone asked the UM opinion, we have discussed this on our forum before. The view of the majority could be summed up as the Impact is probably not the name we would choose if the club was starting from scratch. However, since we have a lot of history under this name and recognition throughout CONCACAF with it most would prefer to keep it.

I agree with trax, a vote would be a good idea and grizz is right that the impact carries lots of history on the level of north american soccer. I doubt that they will change the name and do the announcement when the MLS formally welcomes montreal into the league, this would have meant that focus groups would have been created and speculation would have erupted on a higher level. In my opinion, i just wanna be in the MLS and be the first canadian club to win the championship and second to make the playoffs.

Speaking as an English Montrealer, you have just written a lot of crap. Who cares if the name is bilingual or not? The other two major sport teams have non-bilingual French names and it hasn't hurt them one bit.

Montreal Anglos hate toronto just as much as the Francos...its actually something that unites both peoples! lol

Montreal has two other major sports teams?

Sorry to awaken your ear drums but the Alouettes and les Alouettes as well as the Canadians and les Canadien is fairly easy to say both in french and english and they are catchy!

Les Olympique de Montreal, or the olimpique from Montreal not as much in both french and english actually.

I am just saying its a wise marketing choise to pick a name that people want and that sounds good. Thats why I would like to have the fans vote for the team name!

Whatever the name ill still be at the game too!

Archived