U17 Women's World Cup: September 5-25, Trinidad and Tobago

Vic

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't Canada beat both Japan and Korea in pre WC matches? Now they are the 2 teams playing in the finial.

Teams do not necessarily show all their stuff in preparatory games. They may want to see what some substitutes might give them or work on a particular aspect of their play.

That being said, I have great respect for that Korean team that has beaten opponents on their own turf : that is Nigeria on offense (6-5) and Spain on defense (2-1) giving about nothing to UEFA champions. I hope they win U17 WC because they deserve it having shown they can play either on offense or defense. A champion team in my mind is just that : it can compete on opponents strenght and still being able to win.

There was a post on the FIFA site saying there were less than 500 U17 girls playing soccer in Korea. Anybody can confirm this ? I looked on the Internet but I was never able to find anything about stats on the number of players in that category. If this is true, I'll do like the one who has written the post and call that a miracle ! That would contradict the opinion I had that the more players you have, the better will be your elite team (given that you pick up the best players available, of course !).

I hope decision makers at the CSA take notes that you need a balanced team able to score and to defend and not only rely on defense, as our U17 team has done, if you want to advance further than the firs two rounds. Offense alone, as shown by Nigeria, is no better altough making it more interesting for the fans to watch !

I watched most of S. Korea-Spain. Very good quality match I thought. Korea countered very effectively and Spain tried the possession game, but without finishing properly. Technically both sides were very sharp. Spain's passing emulates the men and is really superb, but they forgot to use their skills in the attacking third and were impatient all night, with a dozen long shots, many wide or high. Instead of insisting on the passing skills all the way in. Korea countered with 3 or 4 and players staying very wide. I think they were deserving winners.

Both their ways of playing puts Canada to shame, I saw us in the first match, and we got a result, but the play was disgraceful. The coach should be shot.

Reffed by a Canadian, MIchelle Pye I think it was, I thought she was pretty mediocre but rooting for Spain maybe I was just biased to think she should have called corners and free kicks correctly in Spain's favour in the last 20 minutes. But did not like her at all.

Why shoot the coach if the players can't execute? It's not up to a national team coach coach to teach players basic skills they should have acquired years before.

That's really a poor excuse. One of the most important tasks of a soccer coach is player selection. In french he is often referred to as the "sélectionneur" the one who selects the players showing the importance to select the appropriate players. I agree with you, you can have the best tactical coach, if players don't execute, it's worthless. But I will never accept that as an excuse for a coach that players didn't execute because players selection is, in my mind, his most important responsibility. I have nothing to say on defensive execution but I have seen U17s executing better than what we have seen on Canada National U17 team, and this is why that coach should be shooted.

That's really a poor excuse. One of the most important tasks of a soccer coach is player selection. In french he is often referred to as the "sélectionneur" the one who selects the players showing the importance to select the appropriate players. I agree with you, you can have the best tactical coach, if players don't execute, it's worthless. But I will never accept that as an excuse for a coach that players didn't execute because players selection is, in my mind, his most important responsibility. I have nothing to say on defensive execution but I have seen U17s executing better than what we have seen on Canada National U17 team, and this is why that coach should be shooted.

The word you are looking for is 'shot', not 'shooted'. But seriously, your point is moot. Unless you name your team and some coach picks that team and that team has great success you're just blowing wind.

Why shoot the coach if the players can't execute? It's not up to a national team coach coach to teach players basic skills they should have acquired years before.

That performance was 80% coaching Richard. All the coach has to do is understand the skills of the players and design a tactic that suits them. Or else call up other players, lord knows we have enough 16 year olds who can run around, which is what the criteria seems to be.

Our coaching is atrocious, shameful, and embarrassment. We cannot play like that. The CSA should intervene by having the senior women's coach set out the tactics or style for the lower level teams, so that they can grow into the senior model. After all, there are plenty of teen women who can get into a national side, it is frequent. So they should all be on the same page. And if the coach is not up to it, shoot him (fire if you like).

BR - WCU17 Coach 2008 & 2010 - Current OSA Player Development Manager U14 - U16 - 1998 / 2010.

Which position should he be fired for?

Why does he have two positions?

Which program is performing the best?

What will change between 2010 and 2012?

Will OSA players be involved in 2012?

etc., etc, etc,.

"Our coaching is atrocious, shameful, and embarrassment. We cannot play like that. The CSA should intervene by having the senior women's coach set out the tactics or style for the lower level teams, so that they can grow into the senior model. After all, there are plenty of teen women who can get into a national side, it is frequent. So they should all be on the same page. And if the coach is not up to it, shoot him (fire if you like).

I don't believe any one coach is responsible for player development from the mini-soccer stage till selection for a national team so no, I don't hold BR responsible for all that is wrong with individual skills of the players on his team. Any player that has national team aspirations would be foolish to limit their exposure to one coach. There is an element of hysteria here regarding BR, he is by no means solely responsible for all that currently ails Canadian women's soccer. There are few coaches anywhere that never come under criticism for their performance, some more than others and I suggest BR himself would be more than ready to acknowledge there are others out there better at the job than him. We all know that other more progressive countries are overtaking us because we have been slow about overhauling our development system so lay blame where blame is due - CSA leadership and initiative.

BR - WCU17 Coach 2008 & 2010 - Current OSA Player Development Manager U14 - U16 - 1998 / 2010.

I don't believe any one coach is responsible for player development from the mini-soccer stage till selection for a national team so no, I don't hold BR responsible for all that is wrong with individual skills of the players on his team.

Do you even read the other posts before replying?

Any player that has national team aspirations would be foolish to limit their exposure to one coach.

Ah, yes, it's the players' fault.

We all know that other more progressive countries are overtaking us because we have been slow about overhauling our development system so lay blame where blame is due - CSA leadership and initiative.

This, I can accept.

Just some global comments on the different themes that have been circulating:

Players. These are the best U17 players in the country. Any other coach would select 85% of them minumum. You could put out the second best 18 and they would consistently take them apart. Is there a hidden gem or two somewhere? Sure. Are there a couple of players a different coach would select? Sure. But anyone with half a clue would pick 16 of the 20. And I'm with Ed, they are golden for what they accomplished in the Summer.

Tactics. We live in a northern climate like Iceland, Norway, Russia, and Finland. Most of those countries play a blend of direct, aggressive soccer and do quite well at it. Geoclimactics play a big part in style. We'll never play samba soccer. We don't have the climate or the culture.

"Northern" soccer is simply a style and tactic. It isn't a sign of weakness or poor skills or coaching. Norways last two major opponents were the Dutch and the French and they drew them both. They are also one of the first European countries to qualify for the World Cup. Their men just beat France and Portugal. The Icelandic women are not far behind and were a goal off the French in World Cup qualifying and a single goal off the Germans in the Euro. These are small countries.

The same tactic that is being decried as naive removed the Americans from the only World Cup they have missed in the history of the women's game at any age.

We will always have to play a counter-attacking, physical, defensive, direct brand of the game to be successful. We just don't have the player pool, culture, funding, coaching or infrastructure to do any differently.

Development. As a country we have an extremely poor platform for developing professional female players. The only way a Canadian girl can play with professional players is to leave the country. We have half a million female players. Think about how criminal that is.

We have more star-potential female players at the U12 age than almost any country in the world, yet we turn out almost no world class players. We are comparatively one of the worst countries in the world at developing female talent from the early teen years to professionalization. At the critical transition age we're a coaching and program cesspool of amateurism and demi-gods. Instead of surrounding our mass of budding talent with experienced professional coaches and platforms we hobble them with amateur part-timers experimenting as they go in programs and platforms which are the global professional equivalent of bush savages or playing dress-up and house with a Fisher Price set.

If we produce any world class professional women they are either a one in a million or have left the country like a de Guzman or Owen ********** (wild that his name gets masked out). That will never change and our ranking and future will continue to erode until we professionalize our women's infrastructure.

Rosenfeld. Great CONCACAF's, disappointing World Cup. That settles to the middle of the road. There's a lot of painfully obvious axe-grinding going on here. Anyone with a kid, player or neighbour who didn't turn out to be Mia Hamm or Cristiano Ronaldo ridiculously blames it on him. Lost on most people is the guy exists because he's better at what he does than anyone else who threw their name in the hat. We have a massive coaching vacuum with thousands of amateurs and part-timers and very, very few quality coaching careerists, let alone people qualified to take a position at the provincial or national level. Kids have a half dozen coaches before they reach him, and spend more time with personal trainers, school coaches, and regional coaches, yet he's the one to blame for their/our failures on the global stage. Satan himself would be proud of that kind of coverage.

Pellerud. The South Koreans use the 100 player yarn too. Not even considering the Americans and Canadians that played for T&T, if any of these teams had an international coach appointed to them full-time for two years they would have made the quarters. He harnessed the energy of the Norwegian Women's Committee's progressive approach in the 90's and when he arrived here continued the good work and re-architected our program to the global standard. But then he lost the plot and the team went into a supreme funk from which they never recovered until he left. He came, he saw, he conquered, he burnt it down and he's not the first or last to do it. He is a very bright career professional who has done great things for a number of countries, but we also got the other side of the coin as well. Another case of settles to the middle of the road.

Morace. Because the World Cup and Olympics are in consecutive years and on four year cycles the beauty of getting hired to coach in CONCACAF after an Olympics is three years of friendlies and preparation time before you get put in a position you're measured on. Quite the dream in any job, especially compared to the week-in and week-out realities of professional soccer.

Rosenfeld: Is a hard worker and has done a lot of good things for soccer in OSA/CSA

Morace: Still a young coach with a very limited CV. Give her more time.

Pellerud: You are correct, forgot the US/Canada-based Trinidadians. About 10 of them came down for a tryout, so that makes it 110 world cup team U17 candidates! Sorry. Do not forget that this team gained the first EVER world cup win for T&T.

Development. As a country we have an extremely poor platform for developing professional female players. The only way a Canadian girl can play with professional players is to leave the country. We have half a million female players. Think about how criminal that is.

We have more star-potential female players at the U12 age than almost any country in the world, yet we turn out almost no world class players. We are comparatively one of the worst countries in the world at developing female talent from the early teen years to professionalization. At the critical transition age we're a coaching and program cesspool of amateurism and demi-gods. Instead of surrounding our mass of budding talent with experienced professional coaches and platforms we hobble them with amateur part-timers experimenting as they go in programs and platforms which are the global professional equivalent of bush savages or playing dress-up and house with a Fisher Price set.

If we produce any world class professional women they are either a one in a million or have left the country like a de Guzman or Owen ********** (wild that his name gets masked out). That will never change and our ranking and future will continue to erode until we professionalize our women's infrastructure.

Rosenfeld. Great CONCACAF's, disappointing World Cup. That settles to the middle of the road. There's a lot of painfully obvious axe-grinding going on here. Anyone with a kid, player or neighbour who didn't turn out to be Mia Hamm or Cristiano Ronaldo ridiculously blames it on him. Lost on most people is the guy exists because he's better at what he does than anyone else who threw their name in the hat. We have a massive coaching vacuum with thousands of amateurs and part-timers and very, very few quality coaching careerists, let alone people qualified to take a position at the provincial or national level. Kids have a half dozen coaches before they reach him, and spend more time with personal trainers, school coaches, and regional coaches, yet he's the one to blame for their/our failures on the global stage. Satan himself would be proud of that kind of coverage.

Given Rosenfeld's role at OSA, I see some overlap between these two paragraphs.

As a coach, one could definitely argue he did what he could with what he had.

As the development manager for the OSA, either he had influence on the conversion of potential talent at U12 into what he had available at U17, or he didn't.

So at what level does he take (some) responsibility?

I recognize that there are limits within the organizations for whom he works, both in resources and in what he's allowed (or encouraged) to do. These structural faults can't be forgotten, but that's an entirely different complaint.

I'd like to see a plan to deal with ALL shortcomings in the program, and that includes the ones that are BR's responsibility. That's my only point.

On the Pellerud topic, I agree he did both good and bad for Canada.

But for T&T, what he did for them is nothing too impressive in my eyes.. and I would say there are numerous other coaches in Canada that could have done the same for T&T with that budget that he was given.... Increase team training to 4-5x per week, put structure into a programme that had almost no structure/seriousness, focus on getting more US/CDN based players, play many international matches etc.

The trip to Korea was through his connections though, so I would give him that.

I have been reading for some time and felt the need to weigh in.

I have watched every U17 game I could find either on a tv or internet feed and note the same differences in style described by Vic. I take no issue at all with his explanations of Canada's tactical approach to the game.

With respect to the conversion of ''promise' at the U12 level to 'achievement' at the U17, U20 and Senior levels... we have serious issues that I think will take a full generation to address. The development of a professional league that is reasonably wide spread would go a long way towards mainstreaming the understanding of this game. I believe that one of the reasons we have serious developmental issues is that there is a broad lack of understanding and appreciation for the game at higher levels and that prevents many of our coaches from helping kids mature into international quality players. In this country, the majority of parents understand the game of hockey... the same cannot be said for soccer. The problem is that when these same people, who are interested parents and often times former athletes, step up to coach soccer, they are out of their depth by the time the kids are 10 or 11 years old. That is one of the reasons we have very very few qualified coaches at higher levels... another forum can be started to describe why many good coaches quit as a direct result of abuse by parents of 13 year olds who know nothing of the game (but I digress). Hopefully the players who are in the system now will convert to coaching when their playing days are over.

As for BR's responsibility for development of players available to the U17 national pool.... he did indeed have influence ---- of kids who happen to live in Ontario. The last time I checked, Canada had a few other provinces besides Ontario and yet the majority of the players on the world cup squad were from Ontario (7 of the starting 11 in the game against Brazil). There seem to be many reasons to criticize the coach... one that hasn't been addressed is the tendency to choose players he coaches regularly. With this reality on the table... he should indeed be taking full responsibility for development, selection and execution. Furthermore, perhaps the CSA should begin looking outside of QC and ON for talent... it exists and as we have seen, the 'large population yields the most talent' argument does not hold water when you look at the results in T&T.

We are wasting the promise of our youth, failing to provide structured developmental systems laden with experienced and talented coaches and disappointing players who strive to represent their country only to be passed over because they don't live in the right province. The answers are not terribly difficult to find... they are discussed on these forums every day. Take a look at how successful countries run their soccer programs... or take a look at how Canada runs its hockey programs. Like it or not, it's the most successful international sport this country has - maybe asking 'why?' will lead us to some answers for our sport.

Pellerud: You are correct, forgot the US/Canada-based Trinidadians. About 10 of them came down for a tryout, so that makes it 110 world cup team U17 candidates! Sorry. Do not forget that this team gained the first EVER world cup win for T&T.

Oh he has a book with a lot more in it than the ones who came down. Half the core in the tournament was Canadian and American. There's no need to glossy it up. It's a good accomplishment even with the foreigners. And as that level of funding is unsustainable it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Paul, because of his longevity, personna and success he is the visible magnet and lightning rod for people's displeasure, disenfranchisement, and bitterness. There are 10 provincial managers of player development in the country, many of whom contribute majorly as well and no one could even tell you the names of those people.

A Canadian U17 team eliminates the USA and no one say's, hey that guy's a genius. They wait until you don't get out of group in the World Cup and call you every name in the book and blame you for all that ails Canadian soccer.

It may be convenient and easy to put the horns on someone and burn them at the stake for our international erosion, but the truth is we are all to blame. From U17 to U20 to Senior our problems as a country in the womens game all stem from a lack of professional infrastructure to fast-track and pattern young players as well as develop a large national elite pool of senior candidates.

Until we can give the half a million playing women in this country an option beyond packing their bags we will continue to fade into infinty. Rise above the easy way out and go after the real problem.

Paul, because of his longevity, personna and success he is the visible magnet and lightning rod for people's displeasure, disenfranchisement, and bitterness. There are 10 provincial managers of player development in the country, many of whom contribute majorly as well and no one could even tell you the names of those people.

<snip>

Until we can give the half a million playing women in this country an option beyond packing their bags we will continue to fade into infinty. Rise above the easy way out and go after the real problem.

As for BR's responsibility for development of players available to the U17 national pool.... he did indeed have influence ---- of kids who happen to live in Ontario. The last time I checked, Canada had a few other provinces besides Ontario and yet the majority of the players on the world cup squad were from Ontario (7 of the starting 11 in the game against Brazil). There seem to be many reasons to criticize the coach... one that hasn't been addressed is the tendency to choose players he coaches regularly. With this reality on the table... he should indeed be taking full responsibility for development, selection and execution. Furthermore, perhaps the CSA should begin looking outside of QC and ON for talent... it exists and as we have seen, the 'large population yields the most talent' argument does not hold water when you look at the results in T&T.

As I've said before, I'm a neophyte to all of this and I'm learning more from here than I can through my local SA in Ontario. I take as true the assertions that there are serious structural problems to our player development, and wonder how I'm to tell when people are the wall, and when people are the object hitting the wall.

BR has the profile and the other 9 provincial dev managers do not. His fault, or the other provinces? Perhaps a better question is "what is missing to level this disparity?" How much more should I be paying to register my young kids in HL so that when they get old enough to join the development ladder, the ladder goes up?

Similarly, BR using Ontarians because he knows them - I don't know if that's his fault or if it's an inevitable shortcoming of the program within which he works. A national program should be able to get the national talent properly scouted and brought together for meaningful training. Is this happening?

That said, if the games against Ireland and Brazil are indicative of the style of game BR favours, I'm not interested in encouraging my daughter to learn it.

Similarly, BR using Ontarians because he knows them

Just curious on what grounds you make the claim? Do you find it unusual that the most populous area in the country has the strongest league and develops the strongest players? Is that not reasonable? Soccer in the GTA is ultra-competitive with clubs and individuals who amp each other up above and beyond what you see in most areas in Canada. There are U8 teams who play 7 days a week and U11 teams that can drop $1000 in field time in a weekend without a dent in their budget. I'm not sure that the long-term adult performance ratio and metrics are linear, but at the younger ages they certainly are a level above in terms of commitment and intensity. And that comes from someone outside the GTA.

Ontario dominated national All-Stars at girls U14 and U16 with both teams going undefeated. The U14s goals were 15-1 and the U16s were 13-0. Each team won as many games as every other team in their five-group A pool combined.

No one will ever know for sure, but it is at least highly likely that the best players were on the field.

I was parroting what P.O.S.P was saying, to wit: "The last time I checked, Canada had a few other provinces besides Ontario and yet the majority of the players on the world cup squad were from Ontario (7 of the starting 11 in the game against Brazil). There seem to be many reasons to criticize the coach... one that hasn't been addressed is the tendency to choose players he coaches regularly. "

PS isn't there a contradiction here:

Soccer in the GTA is ultra-competitive with clubs and individuals who amp each other up above and beyond what you see in most areas in Canada. There are U8 teams who play 7 days a week and U11 teams that can drop $1000 in field time in a weekend without a dent in their budget.

Is GTA soccer development hot or is it a cesspool? I'm confused here. Perhaps what you're saying is that our up to U11 infrastructure is great?

Just some global comments on the different themes that have been circulating:

I’ll include mine - sorry in advance for the long reply …..

Players. These are the best U17 players in the country. Any other coach would select 85% of them minumum. You could put out the second best 18 and they would consistently take them apart. Is there a hidden gem or two somewhere? Sure. Are there a couple of players a different coach would select? Sure. But anyone with half a clue would pick 16 of the 20. And I'm with Ed, they are golden for what they accomplished in the Summer.

To describe these players as the “best” in the country is a little humours; no disrespect to the players intended.

To put your suggestion in context, I would even go as far as to disagree that these players are even the “best” players for BR’s chosen style of play. Clearly the style of play has some bearing on the choice of players; yes? Although every one of these players was recruited from the Provincial Development program, 12 from Ontario, there are players from Provincial programs who were left behind. However, a coach’s responsibility is to select the players he/she believes they can WIN with. BR believes that the Provincial Development program has the best players in the country; you too Vic?

It is generous to these players to suggest that “any other coach” would select 85% of them or that the “second best 18” would be shredded. Wow…. The any other coach in our National system is Morace. Will your wisdoms bare facts in 2011 when she finalises here 2012 rosters (perhaps her choices don’t count?)

Tactics. We live in a northern climate like Iceland, Norway, Russia, and Finland. Most of those countries play a blend of direct, aggressive soccer and do quite well at it. Geoclimactics play a big part in style. We'll never play samba soccer. We don't have the climate or the culture.

Are you really suggesting that the weather had something to do with BR’s U17 performance? Do you think Futsal has any bearing on this? The CSA/ OSA have been very slow in adopting and program planning for the inclusion of this game. It’s just now that the CSA has accepted and produced a LTDP document with Futsal front and centre. Given the game is played on hard courts (gyms) during the off season (winter months), and could have been adopted officially15 years ago, I’m thinking this might have a little more to do with our current player skill level in general versus the weather. Although not “samba nations”, Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Germany all have professional Futsal leagues and many more world wide…..

"Northern" soccer is simply a style and tactic. It isn't a sign of weakness or poor skills or coaching. Norways last two major opponents were the Dutch and the French and they drew them both. They are also one of the first European countries to qualify for the World Cup. Their men just beat France and Portugal. The Icelandic women are not far behind and were a goal off the French in World Cup qualifying and a single goal off the Germans in the Euro. These are small countries.

The two final 4 countries in the U17 WC had the ability to posses the ball, play direct, defend, attack, etc. The players are abundantly more skilled than the Canadian players. I can’t believe you mean to imply the Coaching with in these nations had nothing to do with the player’s capabilities and their team’s performance! Unlike you I’m not one who believes the coach should be held unaccountable.

We will always have to play a counter-attacking, physical, defensive, direct brand of the game to be successful. We just don't have the player pool, culture, funding, coaching or infrastructure to do any differently.

First of all, Canada is starving for success in World Soccer. CONCAFF is a qualification tournament it is NOT the goal of either the Men’s nor Women’s program. The senior women’s early success experienced during the EP era has been in decline hence his removal. Ontario has plenty of “ethnic” leagues where the young are playing possession oriented skill full soccer. Unfortunately these players are over looked with in the current OSA development program because they do not fit the current Development Managers (BR) vision for a national player. He does not agree with CM on her vision and does not support her efforts. As a result, we have an impasse to player identification for the current Senior Women’s program. Players of this calibre are officially outside of the OSA Player Development System. The game is alive and well and flourishing in Ontario. A very limited version of the local game is alive at the OSA however with a change at the Manager level would correct this immediately.

Development starts at a very young age. There are plenty of opportunities for young girls to become involved. Volunteer coaching is not all bad. There are avenues for players to gain skills. Evolving the message to the parents needs to be improved. Development centric focus versus playing to win needs to change. That is the CSA / OSA responsibility. Our women are extremely fortunate to be located just north of the world’s most dynamic college soccer league structures. Young women can pursue an education through their choice to play soccer. What a benefit for these women should they choose to go in that direction; a more tangible and attainable goal for a great many more women than a domestic Professional Women’s league.

Parents are not at blame here however! I’m not sure why you would suggest they are? Parents pay their money, commit their time, and support their kids. Clearly they are the true back bone to our Soccer Culture. For sure there is the odd person whose view is “out of line” with reality (any comment?). However that is not at all the case to be made here. Accountability, capability, and performance are the key words that keep coming to my mind when I read through these forum posts.

The facts speak for themselves. BR has no place with in the development structure under the current CSA direction. He doesn’t have the skills. His coaching techniques and efforts at the OSA Provincial Program NTC resident coaching program for the past 4 years have failed. If the world cup is NOT the standard of measure, what is? The OSA is in desperate need of a new Manager of Player Development, but doesn’t seek one. The CSA is in need of a new Ontario resident NTC coach however cannot obtain one due to the silly politics of the OSA. When the CSA moved away from EP with the hiring of CM in late 2008, that signalled the change! There hasn’t been a change at the OSA at the Manager level in over 10 years. It’s foolish to think any dramatic improvement in player development will yield from the current Ontario Provincial Program for CM’s 2012 national team requirements. Politics is standing in the way i.e. the OSA is not removing BR. Give me one good reason why BR should be retained in his current capacities (Player Development Manager, NTC Resident Coach) by the OSA?

Morace. Because the World Cup and Olympics are in consecutive years and on four year cycles the beauty of getting hired to coach in CONCACAF after an Olympics is three years of friendlies and preparation time before you get put in a position you're measured on. Quite the dream in any job, especially compared to the week-in and week-out realities of professional soccer.

The same goes for any coach world wide.

The politics of soccer in Canada are at the core of our nations suffering performances. I’m all for any change in CSA governance that places accountability and performance management back into a power position.

In the mean time – the removal of BR goes along way to improving the status quo. We simply can’t afford to keep waiting for a change at the top!

Soccer in the GTA is amped and cranked on steroids. But they suffer from the same problems as the rest of the country when it comes to women's professionalization. Money and frequency in the hands of amateurs is still amateur. When our elite girls hit the teen years and are in need of great coaching we don't have the professional programs to transition them beyond the global definition of amateur. The GTA get nationally comparative results through size, scale and scope (especially at the young ages) - but they offer no greater solution than cities a small fraction of their size.

Archived