U17 Women's World Cup: September 5-25, Trinidad and Tobago

Vic

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nigeria won over korea

as well trinidad beat chile with 16,000 fans in the stadium ( also had a goal disallowed)

korea up on south africa in the 37th min

If the U20 finals are an indication, women's junior soccer has picked up a notch in 2010 when compared to 2008. Team speed, indiviual skills, and overall team tactics were all on display in the finals between Germany and Nigeria.

The Germany U17 team looked very composed and completely confident against Mexico. Clearly a much improved team over the 2008 bunch.

If the U20 finals are an indication, women's junior soccer has picked up a notch in 2010 when compared to 2008. Team speed, indiviual skills, and overall team tactics were all on display in the finals between Germany and Nigeria.

The Germany U17 team looked very composed and completely confident against Mexico. Clearly a much improved team over the 2008 bunch.

Thruball were you watching the game or are you comments based on the 3 minute video highlight clip? If you were watching the game going forward can you post the link to the games as you know canada doesnt get the FIFA feeds.

Thanks 19

Thruball were you watching the game or are you comments based on the 3 minute video highlight clip? If you were watching the game going forward can you post the link to the games as you know canada doesnt get the FIFA feeds.

Thanks 19

The games are televised on Rogers and Bell Satellite. They are on the CBC BOLD channel. On Bell that is channel 641 which is part of their Variety Pack 2.

Hope this helps.

Incidentally, it's not too early to look at who's going through.

Group A: Nigeria is through, and Trinidad and Tobago must beat North Korea to take the 2nd spot; North Korea goes through otherwise. First is not settled.

Group B: Germany is a given, and South Korea is through. First is not settled.

Group C: Spain is through, and there is a mathematical chance that New Zealand could go through (beating Japan by 7 while Venezuela loses to Spain). Otherwise it's down to whether Japan gets the same result or better against NZ that Venezuela gets against Spain - Japan through in that instance, whereas if Venezuela wins and Japan draws, or V draws and J loses, Venezuela goes through. First is not settled.

I've already discussed the Group D outcomes, and it could come down to yellow cards if the games end in draws... Any of the four could go through, their destiny is still in their own hands.

The quarters are

(25) 1a vs 2b,

(26) 2a vs 1b,

(27) 1c vs 2d and

(28) 1d vs 2c.

Semis are W25 vs W27 and W26 vs W28.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/11/81/20/fu17wwc2010_matchschedule_29062010.pdf

Predictions for second round : Il stick with UEFA teams, Germany, Spain and Ireland with Nigeria to complete the final four. Spain should have the hedge over Brazil because Brazil defense has shown signs of weakness. If Canada has been unable to convert their opportunities, I expect Spain no to miss them. I go with Ireland over Japan because I feel they have a better defense and still manage to score goals when needed. Germany was so impressive in the first round, I can't see them loosing. I don,t know much about Nigeria but ending first in their pool, I feel they deserve to go futher in the tournament.

Spain's impressing me, and that makes me wonder what is being done right.

First, though there is a long way to go, there are more and more women's teams in tiered leagues.

More pro clubs with pro women's sides, though the money is low, probably really semi-pro. Spain really needs to see Real Madrid, Sevilla and Valencia with women's teams, to really push the level and support up.

And a good restructuring of the leagues this year that weakens the top flight, essentially eliminating an elite division, but creates these multiple divisions in different regions that mean more teams competing with the best, a more egalitarian system. A lot of the u-17s are playing now in top flight against strong opposition, whereas previously they may have played for 2nd or 3rd division clubs.

Still terrible press for the women in Spain, atrocious attitude to their football still, despite small improvements.

Archived