Marvell Wynne traded

Sébastien

Toronto FC announced Thursday; they have acquired midfielder Nick LaBrocca and a 3rd Round MLS SuperDraft pick in 2011 from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for defender Marvell Wynne.

Source: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100325&content_id=8935436&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Can't say I am surprised.

Does this mean that Nana will be playing regular RB this season?

If Nana isn't at CB, who is?

I don't see Harden as an everyday fixture in the middle with Garcia, that could be an epic meltdown tandem.

Nana solts into the middle still on my depth chart, I would rather see Peterson when healthy in RB and hopefully some time with Herold over there. I could see Cann if signed play there as well.

Toronto FC announced Thursday; they have acquired midfielder Nick LaBrocca and a 3rd Round MLS SuperDraft pick in 2011 from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for defender Marvell Wynne.

Source: http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20100325&content_id=8935436&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Can't say I am surprised.

Does this mean that Nana will be playing regular RB this season?

Not that I have much info to go on LaBrocca, but I'm not sure we're on the "better" end of this trade... It seems US coach Bob Bradley has put far more faith in Wynne (despite being younger) than LaBrocca... I know they play different positions... but its not like we have a lot of depth in the back...

He must REALLY fit into the type of locker room culture Preki envisions...

So they trade a fast (very fast) RB who despite his deficiencies is good enough for the US MNT and they get ....

A desperately needed CB? NOoooooo

A desperately needed striker? NOooooo.

YAM. Yet Another Midfielder? WTF? I just don't get this. Unless he plans to play Dero up top you have nobody with proven scoring ability for the striker role. We'll see on opening day I guess. If they hold Columbus to a 0-0 draw that would be considered an epic achievement IMHO.

Hope I'm wrong but this ain't looking good.

Wynne reportedly was very good in Colorado's opener - a win BTW.

Wynne was never the problem for TFC, in fact he was one of the guys who could be counted on regulary to at least show up. You can knock him for his inability to cross and distribute like a top of line RB, but he had pace and could use to expose and turn defenders around, if he ever gets the first touch down he will be able to create offense. He was always able to get back a help out on the defense even after a long run into the opposition's box.

I imagine Wynne to continue what he started and that's being a fringe USMNT regular.

Wynne was never the problem for TFC, in fact he was one of the guys who could be counted on regulary to at least show up. You can knock him for his inability to cross and distribute like a top of line RB, but he had pace and could use to expose and turn defenders around, if he ever gets the first touch down he will be able to create offense. He was always able to get back a help out on the defense even after a long run into the opposition's box.

I imagine Wynne to continue what he started and that's being a fringe USMNT regular.

It's worth checking out the TFC v Chivas game to see an example of why he would have been let go. Alot of people knock his defensive positioning and this game is a prime example. His pace and athleticism made up for the fact that he was a pretty poor defender. If he could cross better, I'm sure he could become a winger.

Don't know much about Lebrocca to rate the trade and he certainly doesn't play the position they need help at most but if he is a solid starter I think it is one of the few good moves by Preki so far. Wynne was the classic athlete who can't play soccer and way over rated. Don't understand at all what he is doing with the US national team. With his constant propensity to make bad decisions, I can't see him being a consistently good CB or even a RB for that matter. Yes at times he can use his speed and athleticism to cover up his errors but he is a constant mistake waiting to happen in defence.

Well I hated his Dad, but he is not too blame for that. I wish him all the best too. You can learn to play defence (to a degree). You can't learn speed.

....and this week appeared to be at fault on both goals conceded in a 2-2 draw. I thought it would take longer than two games for him to concede a controversial penalty but I'm not exactly surprised to see something like that happen.

That was his stock in trade.

One thing that people should maybe bear in mind about Marvell Wynne is that this is probably the last season of his original contract with MLS. Generation Adidas players typically sign for five seasons. There is a good chance he'll wind up somewhere in Europe next season on a Bosman free transfer.

Remember when Wynne was the future RB of the US National team and was linked with Aston Villa. Now a trip to Europe would probably include somewhere like York City

I could see him getting a regular game for one of the weaker SPL teams or in League One in England in a British context. Getting a work permit would be an issue (although he might get it on appeal given he has been involved with the USMNT) so somewhere in Scandinavia would probably be more likely.

I wouldn`t be suprised if a EPL takes him on and just loans him around to see what he has, then will probably end up in scandinavia

Archived