Europa League 2009-10 [R]

Soju

Apologies if there's another thread on this but I couldn't find one...

Here's the latest from the Round of 16.

Team #1 Agg. Team #2 1st leg 2nd leg

Hamburg 6–5 Anderlecht 3–1 3–4

Rubin Kazan 2–3 Wolfsburg 1–1 1–2 (aet)

Atlético Madrid 2–2 (a) Sporting CP 0–0 2–2

Benfica 3–2 Marseille 1–1 2–1

Panathinaikos 1–4 Standard Liège 1–3 0–1

Lille 1–3 Liverpool 1–0 0–3

Juventus 4–5 Fulham 3–1 1–4

Valencia 5–5 (a) Werder Bremen 1–1 4–4

Next stop Quarter Finals, the draw is on March 19th. First QF legs on April 1st.

p.s. Fulham's come from behind against Juve and Dempsey's winning goal, amazing. Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vayePfSge4

It was a hell of a night!! I streamed the intense 4-4 Valencia/Werder Bremen match and some of the other results were just as astounding. Juve getting outclassed by Fulham??? The italians had better hope that Inter advanced past the next round of the CL or they can kiss their last european spot bye bye.

First team plays first leg at home.

Quarterfinals

April 1 + April 8

Fulham vs. Wolfsburg

Hamburg vs. Standard Liège

Valencia vs. Atlético Madrid

Benfica vs. Liverpool

Semifinals

April 22 + April 29

(Hamburg/Standard Liège) vs. (Fulham/Wolfsburg)

(Valencia/Atlético Madrid) vs. (Benfica/Liverpool)

(For those who don't know, the Telelatino family of channels (Telelatino, Telelatino en Español, SKY TG24) have been showing the Europa League all season and will continue at least through the semifinals (for some reason they don't list the final on their broadcast schedule -- perhaps it will be shown elsewhere?).)

I'm looking forward to a potential Liverpool-Valencia semi-final. I'm hoping that after experiencing Anfield on a big, European night, Villa, Silva, and Mata immediately hand in transfer requests and advise that they'll only consider Liverpool as their destination.

(Who said the Europa League can't inspire dreams?)

Liverpool does not look like they can afford any of those players. And while we are at it: just how many great players have Liverpool signed in recent years?

Villa will go to the highest bidding team that did not see silverware this year. For a lot of money. Silva and Mata will then not have to be sold.

Another thing: what makes you think that little Anfield is a more impressive place to play than Mestalla?

Any predictions? I'm going with all English final. Fulham's form at home continues as they see off Wolfsburg and then Hamburg. Liverpool squeak past Benfica then steam roll Valencia. Liverpool choke in the penultimate game and Fulham complete the cinderella story. :)

Liverpool does not look like they can afford any of those players. And while we are at it: just how many great players have Liverpool signed in recent years?

Villa will go to the highest bidding team that did not see silverware this year. For a lot of money. Silva and Mata will then not have to be sold.

Another thing: what makes you think that little Anfield is a more impressive place to play than Mestalla?

Firstly, if you didn't read my closing line, I wasn't predicting anything, I was making a joking suggestion. Secondly, if Liverpool is sold in the next few months, as they most certainly will be (to some extent), it's very possible that new owners will make some big transfer funds available this summer. And if Villa were choosing from a number of different interested English clubs, Liverpool would probably be at the top of the list. Neither of us know the depth of Valencia's financial troubles, though, so they might sell all of the three mentioned players this summer, or none. Thirdly, I've never played in a packed Anfield or Mestalla, but will trust the long, long line of professional players from England and abroad who seem to think that Anfield's atmosphere is something that is not replicated anywhere else in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Quarter finals have wrapped up with the following results:

Team #1 Agg. Team #2 1st leg 2nd leg

Fulham 3–1 Wolfsburg 2–1 1–0

Hamburg 5–2 Standard Liège 2–1 3–1

Valencia 2–2 (a) Atlético Madrid 2–2 0–0

Benfica 3–5 Liverpool 2–1 1–4

SEMI FINALS...

The first legs will be played on 22 April, and the second legs will be played on 29 April 2010.

Fulham v Hamburg

Liverpool v Atletico Madrid

Roughly speaking, if German teams can collect 3 points more than Inter Milan then Italy will lose their 4th CL spot. Bayern probably won't be able to get that many points on their own, so it likely will come down to the Hamburg v Fulham semifinal here.

Final to be played in Hamburg by the way, so good on the hosts to stick it out, it almost never happens.

Valencia was outplayed by a strong At Madrid side, but were still denied a scandalous penalty in the last minutes as 2 metre Zigic was hauled down, they literally ripped his shirt off.

UEFA reffing has been very poor this year, it is inconsistent, the refs have no character, are terribly timid about irritating the home side, do not have control of the matches, and seem poorly prepared. I think it has been happening for 2-3 years, but this year confirms it for me, the level is disturbingly poor overall.

As for signing who or who: Manchester United should just buy Villa and they'll be back on top again next year. Liverpool won't, because Villa makes Torres look mediocre.

Archived