We have like 13 freaking players right now!

michaeltfc91

I'm not sure about that. I think that adding the Whitecaps will only expand the soccer fan base in Canada. I don’t think that they will take anything away from TFC regardless of how TFC performs. The plight of the Raptors provides the best example of this phenomenon. The disappearance of the Vancouver Grizzlies has not expanded the fan base for the Raptors since their TV ratings outside the GTA are still miserable. Instead, their disappearance has shrunk the fan base and potential fan base for basketball and made basketball a far less attractive property for broadcasters and by extension reduced the revenues from property rights.

Things in Canada are such that a team that is 3-4 times zones away from 60% of the Canadian market will never be able to bleed away a fan base from the core. No different with the Canucks in Hockey, they may enjoy a great run in the playoffs as Canada’s best team but its going to be hard for kid in Atlantic Canada who is just starting to follow the game, to cement an attachment to a team whose home games start at bed time.

Lol Grizz and Raps ain't a comparision

those are 2 expansion teams, and the Raps haven't done anything to win fans.

The caps on the other hand will make noise in the MLS and win fans unlike TFC. Plus the Caps aren't your prototypical expansion club like TFC, Grizzlies and Raps were. Caps don't need to build a new fanbase just reach out to new ones.

The caps on the other hand will make noise in the MLS and win fans unlike TFC.

You hope.

No disrespect to the Caps organization, I think they are doing a fantastic job, but there seems to be a bit of arrogance among their fanbase along with an assumption that the Caps are going to just step into MLS and enjoy the same kind of success that they've had on the USL level.

That may happen, but it may not. Sure, Seattle has shown that a team coming from a similar situation can be successful right out of the gate, but two advantages Seattle had over Vancouver are Sigi Schmid and a lack of Canadian content requirements.

Due respect to Tom Soehn, but he is no Sigi Schmid. In fact, there is only one manager in MLS who I feel is at or above his level, at least in gaining success in the labyrinthe of MLS rules, and that's Bruce Arena. Plus, the Canadian content rule will be a cause for concern, especially since there will be two teams competing for a very shallow pool of MLS-level and willing Canadian players.

None of what I said is an excuse for TFC, however. Mo Johnston has done a terrible job of putting this team together, disadvantages or not.

Due respect to Tom Soehn, but he is no Sigi Schmid. In fact, there is only one manager in MLS who I feel is at or above his level, at least in gaining success in the labyrinthe of MLS rules, and that's Bruce Arena.

Not Kinnear? I think he has done a great job in Houston, rebuilding his squad after key performers leave (this year's challenge being to replace both Holden and Clark) and yet having a very competitive team in the process. Not adverse to Canadians, either.

You hope.

No disrespect to the Caps organization, I think they are doing a fantastic job, but there seems to be a bit of arrogance among their fanbase along with an assumption that the Caps are going to just step into MLS and enjoy the same kind of success that they've had on the USL level.

That may happen, but it may not. Sure, Seattle has shown that a team coming from a similar situation can be successful right out of the gate, but two advantages Seattle had over Vancouver are Sigi Schmid and a lack of Canadian content requirements.

Due respect to Tom Soehn, but he is no Sigi Schmid. In fact, there is only one manager in MLS who I feel is at or above his level, at least in gaining success in the labyrinthe of MLS rules, and that's Bruce Arena. Plus, the Canadian content rule will be a cause for concern, especially since there will be two teams competing for a very shallow pool of MLS-level and willing Canadian players.

None of what I said is an excuse for TFC, however. Mo Johnston has done a terrible job of putting this team together, disadvantages or not.

Yeah I guess, but our hope won't be as much as TFC's hope to ever field a full squad. Your are spot on with the Canadian content though; however if I was Toronto I'd be pretty worried that the much more moderate weather and euro like city Vancouver with a what should be a more competitive squad that TFC in 2011 will attract more Canadian players than TFC

Well, I made the game vs. DCU tonight. The best part? It stopped raining right before the game. Also, Blackbaud is a nice little stadium with a great pub with all kinds of memorabilia in it. Wish I had more time to walk through.

Anyway, TFC actually looked not bad until Sanyang took a shot at someone in the 25 minute and got himself red-carded. All downhill from there. The players warming up on sidelines right by us were pissed. I won't repeat the comments, but suffice to say, they weren't happy.

Frei played the whole game in net and looked confident and sharp.

Defence was (R to L) Nana, Cann, Zepolinsky(?), Harden. Nana and Harden pretty steady. Cann and Zepo reasonably steady. I was surprised with Cann because he has never impressed me previously, but I must say, the two centre backs did not look bad - slow, but tackled hard. Mind you, it was a pretty weak team they were facing. TFC lost 1-0 and it looked like Cann slipped on the goal allowing his mark a clear shot.

Midfield was (R to L) Ibrahim, DeGuzman, Sanyang and Joseph. Ibrahim looked soft, never a threat. Sanyang looked good until the punch. He has to be more disciplined. As I said earlier, even his teammates were pissed. DeGuzman looked either disinterested or frustrated. Got a yellow and continued to go in strong. Joseph a complete non-factor. Rarely touched the ball and when he did, gave it away.

Derosario had a free role with O'Brien White up front. Neither really threatened, especially after they went down a man.

Subs were Brennan and Garcia. Both went into midfield at first - neither did much. Said then came on at right wing. I thought he was a central defender? didn't really do much either but it was hard to get a read on him. TFC only had the 3 subs and Edwards. I guess with Peterson & Barrett out, Gala red carded, Gomez was there but didn't dress, as was Cronin. Did not see Wynne.

Not impressed at all, but again, still pre-season. Getting damn close, however.

Some good news from a Voyageur perspective. Jakovic played the second half. He looks good. Very smooth, good on the ball. Broke up anything White and DeRo tried to do. Looks very good.

Not Kinnear? I think he has done a great job in Houston, rebuilding his squad after key performers leave (this year's challenge being to replace both Holden and Clark) and yet having a very competitive team in the process. Not adverse to Canadians, either.

Kinnear is up there, but no one can turn around a club (or build it up from nothing) like Schmid and Arena.

If Kinnear's 2010 Houston side is up to its regular level, I'd place him up there with the other two guys for sure.

^Kinnear has a knack for moulding guys into niche roles. He turned Serioux, a tactically undisciplined run-around midfield type, into an effective backline player who eventually became better in the d-mid position when pushed into that spot during certain times late in the season (the Cup final victory being one of them). He took a CB in Hainault and made him a more than serviceable RB. He has Geoff Cameron, another CB he has pushed into the d-mid spot. He just seems to have a good eye for finding a player's strengths and utilizing them to the upmost. It's a shame about Harmse's knee because I think he would have really benefitted playing in Kinnear's system.

Kinnear works by the card playing adage, "it's not about getting good cards but how well you play an inferior hand" that counts. Maybe another MLS club should break the bank and lure him to their organization (there's no salary cap on coaches, is there?).

Sigh, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. 'Twas ever thus.

Well, Kinnear seems to be pretty well respected by the supporters on his side of the fence, unless there's a big current of discontent flowing around the Dynamo camp of which I am not aware.

Gerba says he thinks done with TFC

CBC Sports

"Toronto FC is keeping pretty tight-lipped about Ali Gerba's future, but the Canadian forward is saying plenty.

In a report published on the website of Radio-Canada, the French-language version of CBC, Gerba said that his days as a member of TFC could soon be over. That revelation came after the Reds sent Gerba home Monday from pre-season training in South Carolina.

Asked by Radio-Canada if he thought this marked the end of his association with Toronto FC, Gerba answered, "Yes, I believe so."

Gerba also told Radio-Canada that he is working with his lawyer to negotiate his release from his guaranteed contract with the Major League Soccer club.

Toronto FC general manager Mo Johnston did not immediately return an email message from CBCSports.ca seeking a comment.

Gerba left the team on Monday, with Johnston telling CBCSports.ca that the coaching staff felt it was necessary to send him back to Toronto because he was underperforming in TFC's pre-season.

"He's worked hard but his play was not up to scratch," said Johnston, who also stressed that Gerba had not been let go by the club.

"He's on a guaranteed contract.... He's still with us," the Toronto GM stated.

The next day, the club issued a press statement, confirming that Gerba was sent back to Toronto. The team also said it would not comment any further on the matter until it returns home from South Carolina next week.

'I could not do justice'

Gerba took issue with Johnston's comments about his game not being "'up to scratch.'

"They're saying anything. At the moment, I'm in good shape. That's [just an excuse] they found to explain my dismissal," Gerba told Radio-Canada.

Gerba, 27, signed with Toronto last June after being released by English club Milton Keynes Dons. TFC acquired his MLS rights as part of a trade earlier that month that brought defender Nick Garcia over from the San Jose Earthquakes.

It was hoped that Gerba, who was born in Cameroon and later moved to Montreal, would bolster Toronto's offence, giving the team a legitimate goal-scoring threat up front.

But it didn't work out that way. Gerba appeared to be overweight and out of shape when he arrived in Toronto. He scored one goal in 11 regular-season games (five as a starter) last season and routinely sat on the bench as rookie forward O'Brian White took his place in the starting lineup.

Toronto begins the 2010 MLS regular season on the road, against the Columbus Crew on March 27."

http://sports.sympatico.cbc.ca/abc/News/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CBC-SPORTS-V3&showbyline=True&date=true&newsitemid=sp-gerba

Archived