CCC 2010 - TFC vs. Charleston (R)

Tuscan

^It's not a GC or WCQ year, so if we have a lean time this is probably the best time to have it, I suppose. Getting more younger guys to emerge via MLS will help in 2011 and building towards 2012.

Yes, it's probably the best timing but it's just depressing looking at some of our best players not being able to get much playing time with their clubs or unasble to make an impact. Add to that a lot of youngsters who are struggling with their clubs and I'm getting depress.

If some of our players who aren't getting PT in Europe moves to the MLS before 2011-2012 it could help us for the next WCQ cycle.

If some of our players who aren't getting PT in Europe moves to the MLS before 2011-2012 it could help us for the next WCQ cycle.

Ideally I would like to see more of our squad depth NA based, but we'll see how it goes. Things go better for the CMNT when it runs under the business axiom of "under promise, over deliver."

Boy all I have to say is that if people are feeling desperate enough to start calling on Chad Barrett to lift the team, then there really isn't any hope. To be honest, I thought TFC was unfortunately to come out of that one with a loss. RSL was no screaming hell, and TFC didn't really give them anything the whole game. All it took was a keeping error by Frei and RSL took the game from then on. The greatest concern I have is that TFC absolutely buckle once scored on. If this continues into the regular season, which it will as it is an attitude problem, then it might be time to bring Kim Jong-Il's World Cup editors in to CBC.

Posted this before but it's a useful reality check on what expectation levels should be. The top three goalscorers for Columbus the winners of the Supporters Shield last season had the following stats in terms of games played, goals and assists:-

Guillermo Barros Schelotto 24 12 3

Eddie Gaven 30 6 0

Jason Garey 15 4 2

while the top three for TFC had a highly comparable performance:-

Dwayne De Rosario 28 11 6

Chad Barrett 29 5 3

Amado Guevara 25 5 6

If De Rosario gets his act together again and produces about 10 goals and Barrett were to weigh in with about 6 this season good things could definitely happen in terms of reaching the playoffs. Although people post incessantly about Gerba, Robinson and Serioux (all of whom could easily or have already been replaced by players of similar or better quality) the missing factor in terms of creativity up front at the moment is Amado Guevara, in my opinion. Preki prefers a more defensive and counter-attacking style than we have seen in the past three seasons so we may not see an obvious direct replacement because Preki's aim will be to carve out lots of 1-0 and 1-1 results based on a hard working collective team effort and a player like Guevara can be a passenger at times in defensive terms (although he made a bigger effort last season, in my opinion).

Archived