CCC 2010 - TFC vs. Charleston (R)

Tuscan

Wow... way to show interest people.

@Halftime DC vs RSL

1 - 0 RSL off a Findley pk

Things to take note of:

- Will Johnson is not having a good game, by any means. Weak on the ball, poor passes, and finding himself out of position frequently. Really hope this is just some preseason rust...

- Robbie Russell is still playing?? I thought he called it quits after RSL's MLS Cup win?

- DC Utd.'s total incompetence in the final third, that new striker import isn't getting any service so he probably hates his decision right now

- RSL looks very strong, Beckerman is running the midfield, Espindola and Findley just seem to get tighter and tighter every game they play, and RSL's wing play is wrecking DC time and time again

DC vs. RSL ends 2-1 for Utd. I missed both goals as the stream froze both times.

TFC vs. Charleston Battery

@Halftime TFC 0 - Charleston 0

Only one great opportunity for TFC in the first half. Ty Harden couldn't put enough on his header but their keeper fumbled it regardless, keeper collected it as no one challenged the loose ball. The chance was really gone after Harden's header.

Things to be concerned about:

- Where are TFC's strikers??? Gala is invisible, Gerba is invisible, DeRo isn't on yet. What do they have for striking options?

- Charleston can't shoot if their lives depended on it. Two great opportunities wasted due to absolutely brutal shooting.

- JDG still has great possession skills, but his passing is off tonight (begs the question of how hard he's trying in this game). Surely he will show up more during the season (if we have one) once the games get serious (not Serioux anymore! - too soon?)

Gme is back on, TFC with some substitutions: Nana, White, Said and Zamparini (???) come on for Wynne, Cronin, Gerba and Hardin? (sorry, not sure if i got it all right)

That is what I was thinking, Zamparini??. Doesn't look too bad so far. Ibby is getting clobbered out here. 2 bookings so far for Charleston on him. JDG is making nice passes but the rest of TFC are not receiving them very well. And Dero is on :)

USL2 for economic reasons. They still have a decent squad and yes watch out for Massey.

Blast! The feed just went down before Charleston's corner!

Edit: Came back up at the beginning of stoppage time.

TFC 0 - Charleston 0

Gala earns a red off two yellows, Garcia plays yet another 90 minutes in D :mad:, Zamperini and Said make their debuts and fit in quite well, nothing special, JDG and DeRo have great second halves.

No real scoring chances for TFC aside from one of DeRos's cut-ins with a shot on target that the keeper saves. Charleston seemed to be able to get the better of TFC's midfield every so often, leading usually to even-man rushes. Nothing to write home about for this game.

If that is how TFC is going to play under Preki, you guys might think about bringing back Carver! :) Looked like two teams from the same division. From a national team standpoint it is worrying how bad DeGuzman looks since joining TFC though I will be happy if he plays like that in the Voyageurs Cup.

Not a great showing but at least you didn't lose. It is pre-season so don't read too much into it. Good to see Zamperini and Said for the first time (for me at least). Lots of looks at lots of players. Don't expect much from pre-season games. The biggest concern for me was TFC's pass receiving was very bad. They had more chances than Charleston but couldn't finish.

Like I said in an earlier post Charleston went to USL2 to cut travel costs not because they are a bad team. They always play tough against the Caps when I've seen them over the last couple of years. So it is not really like you tied a tier3 north american team. More like a top half of the table tier2 team. I know that is small comfort but they are not as bad as some TFC fans think they are.

Ask any of the supporters of Chivas, Preki takes away any attacking play a team has. Fans here were pleased at his appointment without looking into his backround. The style Preki dictates means TFC will be lucky to score 1 goal in a game, and that's before taking into consideration their strikers suck.

USL2 for economic reasons. They still have a decent squad and yes watch out for Massey.

They may have a decent squad by USL2 standards but this is not in any way their team from last year or a USL1 team playing in USL2. There are only a few returning players from last years squad as the following article makes clear,

Stephen Armstrong, one of the few players back from last season's squad,

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/mar/14/charleston-optimistic-after-opening-match

Well, I think most are being a little too hard on them at the moment, as many players who were out there were either trialists or bench warmers who were getting a chance to prove worthy of time on the pitch this season. We'll see how things look next game as TFC comes up against RSL, who really should have won their game against DC Utd. had it not been for the wholesale changes they made in the second half.

Mods, could you please change the thread title to "CCC 2010 - TFC vs. Charleston ®"

Well, I think most are being a little too hard on them at the moment, as many players who were out there were either trialists or bench warmers who were getting a chance to prove worthy of time on the pitch this season. We'll see how things look next game as TFC comes up against RSL, who really should have won their game against DC Utd. had it not been for the wholesale changes they made in the second half.

Mods, could you please change the thread title to "CCC 2010 - TFC vs. Charleston ®"

You're wildly optomistic. Perfect voyageurs material :>

You're wildly optomistic. Perfect voyageurs material :>

Yeah, very I am Whitecaps fan first, but for now with only TFC in the MLS I've backed them since their expansion year at the MLS level and I am nothing but cynical when it comes to this season it's looking like the last 3 going into the season without a full squad. It's gonna be tough to watch a 19-21 man squad with 4 of the being Gala, Herold, Jospeh, and Garcia, and 2 who are hurt in Barrett ( I think he still out) and Peterson. That is way to thin of a squad to even pretend we have a chance even with JDG for a full season.

PJ sure doesn't have much use for Gerba:

Forwards

Were poor, especially Gerba who simply has to be better otherwise he will be the next to go. If TFC are to struggle you can put your bottom dollar on it: Preki will carry no dead wood or passengers, in doing so.

PJ sure doesn't have much use for Gerba:

Forwards

Were poor, especially Gerba who simply has to be better otherwise he will be the next to go. If TFC are to struggle you can put your bottom dollar on it: Preki will carry no dead wood or passengers, in doing so.

Is that me or it's a depressing year for CMNT players at the club level? There is very little to be excited about these days apart from Kluka, Jackson and a couple of MLS players, most of MNT players seems to be truggling at the club level.

Archived