Sinclair and De Rosario named CanadaSoccer.com Fans' Choices

loyola

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4007

Sinclair and De Rosario named CanadaSoccer.com Fans' Choices

Christine Sinclair and Dwayne De Rosario have been selected as the 2009 CanadaSoccer.com Fans' Choices in an online vote which ran on the Canadian Soccer Association’s official website, www.CanadaSoccer.com.

In recognition of Canadian soccer fans’ support, two winners have been selected from those individuals who voted online. This year’s winners are Jennifer Christie and Scott Dickerson, both of whom will receive a Canada jersey personally signed by national team heroes Sinclair and De Rosario.

In 2009, Sinclair joined FC Gold Pride in the inaugural season of Women’s Professional Soccer. She scored six goals during the regular season and then scored two more in the WPS All-Star Game at year’s end. With the national team, she scored four goals in seven games, leading the national team in scoring for the ninth time in 10 seasons. She also won Canadian Player of the Year honours for the fifth-straight season.

“I would like thank all the fans throughout Canada as they make this sport so enjoyable to play,” said CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choice co-winner Christine Sinclair. “I would also like to thank all my teammates and national staff members who have helped me so much on and off the field. We have come so far in only a few short years, but we still have work ahead to reach our goals of winning a medal at the FIFA Women’s World Cup and Olympics. As always, we appreciate everyone’s support and look forward to seeing you in the stands when we play at home this year.”

In 2009, De Rosario returned home and joined Major League Soccer club Toronto FC. He won the club’s Most Valuable Player and Golden Boot awards and was named an MLS Best XI all-star for the fourth time in his career. In the Nutrilite Canadian Championship, he won the George Gross Memorial Trophy as the championship’s most valuable player as Toronto FC captured its first Voyageurs Cup as national champions.

“I want to thank all the Canadian soccer fans who voted for me,” said CanadaSoccer.com Fans’ Choice co-winner Dwayne De Rosario. “I am truly honoured and humbled to be selected for this award. I have always been incredibly proud to wear the Canadian jersey and to play in front of Canadian fans. I hope that I can be an example that will provide inspiration to young Canadians playing soccer. I encourage all Canadian fans to continue to support soccer in this country as together we can continue to improve the sport.”

Sinclair received more votes than any other player, taking 25.8% of the women’s vote. Christine Sinclair, Rhian Wilkinson, Diamond Simpson and Diana Matheson rounded out the top four. De Rosario received 25.8% of the men’s vote.

He finished ahead of Nevio Pizzolitto, Julian de Guzman and Atiba Hutchinson.

CanadaSoccer.com is the official website of the Canadian Soccer Association. The website features up-to-date news on all of Canada's national teams, match-by-match statistics and profiles of every current and past national-team player, scores and records from the BMO National Championships, and information on all other aspects of the Association including training centres, coaching programs and referee programs.

Sinclair received more votes than any other player, taking 25.8% of the women’s vote. Christine Sinclair, Rhian Wilkinson, Diamond Simpson and Diana Matheson rounded out the top four. De Rosario received 25.8% of the men’s vote.

He finished ahead of Nevio Pizzolitto, Julian de Guzman and Atiba Hutchinson.

So a u17 Girl Diamond Simpson is in top four after one game ... mmm odd, and the two 25.8 % of votes odd.... I wonder how many votes were cast ?

Archived