Transfers: TFC vs. Rest of MLS

Tuscan

Something that has become startlingly apparent over the last three seasons is the fact that other MLS teams seem at least decent in scouting players for making good additions to their teams, while TFC has really only gained through the MLS Superdraft. In just this preseason alone, TFC has really only managed to find a few players (and even that is yet to be determined) through trialists while other teams have gone out and signed, not trialed, but straight up signed capable players. On top of this, many of those signings for the other clubs have addressed a specific weak point in their team, in that they have brought in players who have reputations for being competent at their specific position, and will most likely add at least a little bit of extra stability for those teams this season. TFC has brought in young trialists, but so far they haven't really brought in anyone who has basically been bought for a position (for this season, not talking about DeRo and JDG).

Who's responsibility is it for scouting players? How much impact does Mo have on this? How much responsibility does he have for this?

More and more I'm falling into the camp that just straight out wants Mo gone from TFC. With every acquisition, I'm becoming much more convinced that Mo has few cards to play, but not because of a lack of wanting to spend by ML$E, but rather that perhaps he just doesn't have the ability to do anything more than call on guys he either played with at some point or has a connection with back in the old country. Anyone else notice this?

Why are other MLS clubs seemingly so much more competent at getting decent players for their club than TFC? I'm not looking at this from a restrictions point of view, as TFC has managed to get Canadians like DeRo and JDG, so I don't buy the "it's too hard to get decent Canucks" argument any further than what we've seen so far. I mean, why can't TFC seem to find a player, be him a bloody yank or whatever, to fill the positions that we can all see are just screaming to be filled? Are the TFC staff just that fuckin daft?

Something that has become startlingly apparent over the last three seasons is the fact that other MLS teams seem at least decent in scouting players for making good additions to their teams, while TFC has really only gained through the MLS Superdraft. In just this preseason alone, TFC has really only managed to find a few players (and even that is yet to be determined) through trialists while other teams have gone out and signed, not trialed, but straight up signed capable players. On top of this, many of those signings for the other clubs have addressed a specific weak point in their team, in that they have brought in players who have reputations for being competent at their specific position, and will most likely add at least a little bit of extra stability for those teams this season. TFC has brought in young trialists, but so far they haven't really brought in anyone who has basically been bought for a position (for this season, not talking about DeRo and JDG).

Who's responsibility is it for scouting players? How much impact does Mo have on this? How much responsibility does he have for this?

More and more I'm falling into the camp that just straight out wants Mo gone from TFC. With every acquisition, I'm becoming much more convinced that Mo has few cards to play, but not because of a lack of wanting to spend by ML$E, but rather that perhaps he just doesn't have the ability to do anything more than call on guys he either played with at some point or has a connection with back in the old country. Anyone else notice this?

Why are other MLS clubs seemingly so much more competent at getting decent players for their club than TFC? I'm not looking at this from a restrictions point of view, as TFC has managed to get Canadians like DeRo and JDG, so I don't buy the "it's too hard to get decent Canucks" argument any further than what we've seen so far. I mean, why can't TFC seem to find a player, be him a bloody yank or whatever, to fill the positions that we can all see are just screaming to be filled? Are the TFC staff just that fuckin daft?

There is definitely a problem with Toronto FC's professional scouting... getting De Rosario, De Guzman and Serioux wasn't exactly rocket science and didn't take scouting. Oh wait we have scouted and brought in a player.... Pablo Vitti hahahah.

Other clubs in MLS have a step up on TFC because of their pro scouting, Houston is one of the most successful clubs in MLS history (including their San Jose days) two of the staples were Canucks Onstad and De Rosario... both guys were signed from USL/A League clubs!!! DC United grabs Luciano Emilio, Dejan Jakovic, Moreno etc. there is no need to always look for fringe players from top leagues who will command high salaries! Why not star players from lower leagues? Makes a lot more sense and TFC doesn't seem to grasp that

Exactly, their is no point in looking at the top leagues of Europe for players to bring to TFC. I would definitely like to see us look deeper into the Central American leagues and the USSF2. The only leagues in Europe I would look for players in would be the Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Swedish and Swiss leagues (leagues that are either on par with the MLS or lower) Otherwise it takes too much money to attract players who aren't impact players. At least with lower leagues you can offer more than money like higher level of play and possibly a spring board into even higher leagues.

While I don't disagree with you Rudi I just can't buy that it is all Trader Mo's fault that player transfers for TFC are a seemingly never-ending cringefest. Who does TFC have for scouts? There have to be more people accountable than just one guy, but if it is only one guy, ML$E management must be the stupidest people on the planet.

While I don't disagree with you Rudi I just can't buy that it is all Trader Mo's fault that player transfers for TFC are a seemingly never-ending cringefest. Who does TFC have for scouts? There have to be more people accountable than just one guy, but if it is only one guy, ML$E management must be the stupidest people on the planet.

If there are scouts or consultants giving him bad advice they would probably be hired by him so it would still be his responsibility to hire people who can give him the proper advice.

While I don't disagree with you Rudi I just can't buy that it is all Trader Mo's fault that player transfers for TFC are a seemingly never-ending cringefest. Who does TFC have for scouts?

Tim Regan is TFC's main scout and was very much a Mo Johnston hire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Regan

Have to disagree somewhat on the never-ending cringefest bit. Drafts and trades within MLS have not been that bad. The issue has been more with discovery and allocation signings from overseas.

MLS clubs, by and large, don't scout much.

When it comes to picking players in the draft, TFC might send Regan to the odd big conference matches (ACC, Big East, Pac10), they'll talk to college coaches and then they go to the combine and you'd be surprised how many decisions are made based on what is seen at the combine. they also rely alot on the small cadre of player agents who control the vast majority of players coming out of college (it's all very incestous)

In the case of TFC, Mo has his contacts (seems that most are located in the UK) and he still relies quite a bit on First Wave marketing. They will solicit input from other agents too but it seems that, by and large, First wave still has the inside track on getting players into TFC.

A guy like Vitti was never really scouted. He came with his Argentine club to North America for some friendlies. He played well and TFC became instantly interested.

It seems that Preki has his own network of contacts within the US system and internationally (its not particularly surprising that they would have found a Ugandan player that was plying his trade in Serbia...I have no doubt that Preki's fingerprints are all over that one).

to be fair, scouting in soccer requires a tremendous amount of leg work and is very expensive. In 2 short weeks, we are finding that reality to be true trying to get Milltown FC off the ground. There are players everywhere but it isn't always easy to know how a player will do in your own situation until you put him on the field and see if he sinks or swims. furthermore, there is no lack of players from around the world looking to come to Canada to try to win a spot on a pro team. My phone has been ringing off the hook and the email inbox is filling up with players from everywhere....just imagine how many more calls and emails and requests for trial that TFC gets.

its clearly an imprecise science. To be good at it, you have to be out there, in the field, looking every day and keeping an open mind. in many ways, it is much easier to scout sports like baseball or pointyball.

It's disheartening to see blogs for other MLS teams talking about new international acquisitions when the most we get to see from TFC is something about a young trialist who can score against university caliber teams. The last big international signing for TFC was Vitti last season, and boy we all know how that one turned out...

How do U-Sector, RPB, et al feel about the ability of TFC to bring in superior players?

It's disheartening to see blogs for other MLS teams talking about new international acquisitions when the most we get to see from TFC is something about a young trialist who can score against university caliber teams. The last big international signing for TFC was Vitti last season, and boy we all know how that one turned out...

How do U-Sector, RPB, et al feel about the ability of TFC to bring in superior players?

Yeah, I'm in Vancouver and I'm pretty impressed reading about the Sounders now bring in Blaise N'kufo, to clean up every chance Ljunberg and Montero leave sitting in the box. Seriously, I can't think of a better suited 34 year old striker who would be willing and suitable for the MLS. Coming from a league that's probably just a step or two higher than the MLS and he was on the FC Twente currently sitting second in the Eredivise and I believe are defending champions, but I'd have to double check that. He is a Swiss International; however he will join the the team mid-season, but will or should be in good form. Since 03/04 he has lead Twente in Scoring and will probably finish second I think this year.

I can only hope that Vancouver is taking notes, Seattle has done a tremendous job building their squad bringing in a solid group from the USL club and supplementing with some quality International finds and Keller of course. TFC needs to revamp their total system they got in place in how they are build their team. Too much relied on kids from the GA and low quality English league players. I much rather see a first tier player from Denmark, Switzerland or Belgium and so on rather than a League One/Two mainstay. I'm glad to see the Caps starting the transformation already, I think as of now we got at least as many guys that can make the jump with the team next season as the Sounders had, maybe more.

Are you shitting me!? Blaise Kufo (his name is officially spelt without the N' see -> http://www.sportweek.nl/detail.asp?groupid=0&newsid=57360) is signing with Seattle!? He's married to a woman from Hamilton, SCF08 mentioned last year that Kufo was retiring from Dutch football in 2010 and would then be moving to the GTA. This had golden opportunity for TFC written all over it, the guy was practically falling into their lap...this is absolutely ridiculous! How could TFC not sign this guy? I feel like banging my head against a wall...

edit: OK, there might be a reason for him choosing Seattle. Apparently his wife is now living and working in Vancouver.

How could TFC not sign this guy? I feel like banging my head against a wall...

Probably about 99.9% sure nobody there knows who he is. Unless he played an exhibition game against the team, we have no clue who is out there IMO.

Probably about 99.9% sure nobody there knows who he is. Unless he played an exhibition game against the team, we have no clue who is out there IMO.

Read the last post in the 1st page of this thread I talk about him.

The signing reeks of what MLS teams should be targeting in terms of talent. The guy has been the one of the top strikers in Holland for years has lead Twente in goals ever year since 03/04.

This is a great example of what I'm talking about. Why does it seem that TFC is never on the ball when it comes to player signings like this? Is ML$E aware of how in bed Mo is with First Wave at this point? I mean, you can't build a team based on tunnel-visioned player acquisitions through a single supply channel!!

Ben or Duane, I'm beggin you guys to get on someone from TFC who isn't Paul Beirne and ask them about TFC's pre-season recruitment.

I can see Blaise being moved to Vancouver for 2011. His girlfriend must live in Vancouver or somewhere in BC because it said he coming over to North America because his girlfriend lived in Canada and that was why TFC speculation was coming but obviously she lives on the west coast.

I hope he signed a one year deal, might still have some gas left in the tank for vancouver ;)

He signed a 1.5 year deal, so he's signed through the end of the 2011 season. They're paying him $550K per season, that will obviously be pro-rated for 2010...so they must be using allocation money to bring him under the max. salary without using a DP slot.

Seattle maybe very smart to get the extra year on the deal as people have said Vancouver will probably be knocking on their door about him when we make the jump. Seattle would probbaly be willing to trade him for something by then. Knowing if they signed to only a half year deal that he may just get up an dsign for Vancouver. This makes it so that if the Vancouver move is in the cards the Sounders won't walk away empty handed.

Read the last post in the 1st page of this thread I talk about him.

I read it - I was referring to TFC and how unless you're playing in Scotland or had a friendly against them, guaranteed they have no clue about the talent out there and who they could possibly persuade to come here.

not Much to talk about Jeff TFC has done nothing in the preseason but bring in 10 trailist and send them all home ...

Release Robo today

It looks like its gonna be a long season

TFC cant even play a practise game with their current roster oh boy

Why do you hear every other team adding players and not TFC?? I hear all this talk about the labour talks are preventing TFC from signing players, but this is not stopping the rest of the league

Well now that Robbo is gone hopefully TFC will be able to sign a DECENT STRIKER who at least has a record of scoring! Seriously, watching the interview with Preki and how he mentioned there are a few more trialists to try out almost gave me an aneurysm.

Archived