Preseason: Caps Sounders

nolando

and another: http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3970516

Thordarson has been pleased with his team's progress to this stage. "Things have been going very well. The players have been training very hard since the beginning of January," he told whitecapsfc.com. "We have had some very good pre-season matches against quality opposition, which is something we've never had before at this time of year. MLS teams are very good in possession and move the ball around at a higher pace to what we are used to. With MLS on the horizon, we wanted to give our players the chance to face teams of that calibre."

New 'Caps signing Steele may be a doubt for Saturday's friendly, as he is questionable with a knee problem. In the meantime, Thordarson's squad returned to training on Monday after taking last week off. They will train through the rest of this week at the Whitecaps Training Centre on the campus of Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC.

Good preview article:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Whitecaps+expectations+high+players+roster+spots+2011/2642579/story.html

It confirms Gbeke going to China and Nash's dream of playing in the MLS next year. Seems a little far-fetched to me, but worth a dream.

Doesn't seem far fetched to me you need so many players and so many need to be Canadian... why not Nash? He's a good player who has been a staple in the caps lineup, a verteran, not to mention his brother is involved in ownership.

Doesn't seem far fetched to me you need so many players and so many need to be Canadian... why not Nash? He's a good player who has been a staple in the caps lineup, a verteran, not to mention his brother is involved in ownership.

I hope he can as well but he will be 35 by then and we all know the best before date for athletes. As a center mid in a 4-5-1 I can see it but the amount of ground he would have to cover in other formations would be hard. He has good delivery and who knows maybe he will age like his brother. Same gene pool so we have more than just hope on that front.

Just avoid the injuries because it takes much longer to recover at that age than at 24. Good luck to him and if I were a betting man I'd put a fiver on him making the MLS squad on his abilities and not his brother's part ownership.

Some MLS teams are more than happy to hire 34 year-old ex-European or South American players. Sometimes smarts and experience plus a 'presence' in the locker room can trump age to extend a career by a couple of years. Nash could well be there, at the very least as a sub, for the first MLS season.

I don't see why people think Nash can't make that club for the opening season.

Nash could still play a integral bench role. He won't be a starter, maybe spot start. He will bring a great attitude to the utilitly role on the club. He can play nearly everywhere on the field.

I really don't see the Caps not taking Nash into the MLS, if he's fit of course.

Great to be out in the sunshine and the trees at Swangard! The Seattle fans sure were out in full voice - the MLS rivalry will be a lot of fun.

A game summarizing article:

http://communities.canada.com/THEPROVINCE/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2010/03/06/janicki-jumps-out-in-draw-with-sounders.aspx

And here's another on the new season ahead, including a nice feature on Nash:

http://communities.canada.com/THEPROVINCE/blogs/backofthenet/archive/2010/03/07/slimmed-down-nash-has-mls-in-sights.aspx

"Martin Nash has taken a bite out of brother Steve's diet plan and the results are mouthwatering.

Nash, the Vancouver Whitecaps’ 34-year-old captain, shed 15 pounds this off-season, down to 160 on his 5-foot-11 frame. "

"Martin Nash has taken a bite out of brother Steve's diet plan and the results are mouthwatering.

Nash, the Vancouver Whitecaps’ 34-year-old captain, shed 15 pounds this off-season, down to 160 on his 5-foot-11 frame. "

""No sugars, other than out of fruit or natural sugars. I'm staying away from wheat — breads and pastas, I'm not eating any of that. Just a lot of veggies, chicken and veg."

Sounds like the zone diet Dr Sears has been promoting since 1996 or so. The final chapter in the book "Sports Speed by Dintiman, Ward, Tellez" has Dr Sears going over modern nutrition (none of that carb loading nonsense). Low fat protein, veggies/berries & mono fat (olive oil & nuts).

""No sugars, other than out of fruit or natural sugars. I'm staying away from wheat — breads and pastas, I'm not eating any of that. Just a lot of veggies, chicken and veg."

Sounds like the zone diet Dr Sears has been promoting since 1996 or so. The final chapter in the book "Sports Speed by Dintiman, Ward, Tellez" has Dr Sears going over modern nutrition (none of that carb loading nonsense). Low fat protein, veggies/berries & mono fat (olive oil & nuts).

Could be right. The year I lived in South Korea, I went mostly without bread and pasta, and I became quite skinny.

I know one Canadian who passed up on an overseas career because he couldn't find any bread where he was. Don't know how he felt about pasta.

Archived