Santos FC to Open Red Bull Arena

Trillium

New York Red Bulls vs. Santos FC

Saturday, Mar 20 6:00p

at Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ

Opening of the new stadium could be a good event as Harrison and area have a heavy Brasil Expat community as well as a strong Portugese presence, I suspect Red Bull hopes to get some of them as fans.

• 3 weeks later...
New York Red Bulls vs. Santos FC

Saturday, Mar 20 6:00p

at Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ

Opening of the new stadium could be a good event as Harrison and area have a heavy Brasil Expat community as well as a strong Portugese presence, I suspect Red Bull hopes to get some of them as fans.

Got my tickets for this match today. There are only a few hundred tickets left, I would guess. Even with a small walk-up crowd, they shouldn't have any trouble selling-out by Saturday.

To follow up, I checked the status of some of the key players at Santos. Robinho missed last night's game due to injury. I don't know how many game it is. I don't think it's too serious.

I could see Neymar going to New York because he is suspended due to a red card in the Paulista. He played last evening scoring two goals but it is important to note that the game was in Belem (north of Brazil) so he would already be almost halfway to New York. If he plays it's not likely as a starter but then he is in form and seeing him play for 15 minutes would by itself be worth the price of admission.

You might also get to see Giovanni (ex-Barcelona) because he doesn't see the field much. He's 38 and winding up his career in Santos.

Fabio Costa is likely to be the goalkeeper unless Felipe is sent up to New York from Belem and Fabio Costa plays the game in Santos. Felipe would be considered the Number 1 but Fabio Costa is an experienced veterin.

Other than that, the rest are likely to be young reserve players. They have more than 30 players on their senior roster so I'm sure they can still put a decent team on the field.

To follow up, I checked the status of some of the key players at Santos. Robinho missed last night's game due to injury. I don't know how many game it is. I don't think it's too serious.

I could see Neymar going to New York because he is suspended due to a red card in the Paulista. He played last evening scoring two goals but it is important to note that the game was in Belem (north of Brazil) so he would already be almost halfway to New York. If he plays it's not likely as a starter but then he is in form and seeing him play for 15 minutes would by itself be worth the price of admission.

You might also get to see Giovanni (ex-Barcelona) because he doesn't see the field much. He's 38 and winding up his career in Santos.

Fabio Costa is likely to be the goalkeeper unless Felipe is sent up to New York from Belem and Fabio Costa plays the game in Santos. Felipe would be considered the Number 1 but Fabio Costa is an experienced veterin.

Other than that, the rest are likely to be young reserve players. They have more than 30 players on their senior roster so I'm sure they can still put a decent team on the field.

Thanks for the info.

It was announced actually that Robinho will make the trip to New York. No way Red Bull signs this deal without Robinho making the trip (along with probably most of the Santos "A" team). Santos "competitive" game in Brasil this weekend isn't that important anyway, judging from the table and their remaining fixtures.

Of course if Robinho is injured that's another thing (and would suck!). But I saw Robinho play the full 90 minutes against Palmeiras last weekend on TV. Nothing happened out of the ordinary.

Re Robinho: I got the impression from what I read that it wasn't much and that it happened in the Palmeiras game. It could be that the injury was used to justify pulling him from the Thursday game. Also, Sunday's game shouldn't be a big deal for Santos. They are currently on top the opposing team is Ituano. While they were not too bad in the beginning, the bigger clubs are beginning to get themselves organized and a club like Santos could put a partial reserve side for that game. Santos are probably the best team in Brazil at the moment; but, it will depend who plays on Saturday.

As suspected, while Robinho has a muscular problem, he will be in NY. How much he plays, who knows?

From

http://www.futebolinterior.com.br/news.php?id_news=121027

"Já Robinho se recupera da inflamação no músculo adutor da coxa esquerda. O jovem atacante, porém, vai representar o Santos no amistoso contra o Red Bull, em Nova York, no sábado."

Also, here is the anticipated line-up for the game in Santos on Sunday so don't expect these players:

Felipe; Wesley, Edu Dracena, Durval e Pará; Rodrigo Mancha, Arouca, Marquinhos e Paulo Henrique Ganso; Madson e André.

Judging by this recent Youtube post, Neymar is there:

And for your enjoyment, check Neymar out in this video, especially the first little trick on the practice field.

Not surprised about the kids playing and note that their better kids (aside from Neymar) are playing in Santos today. That is Andre and Paulo Henrique.

A report in Portuguese from Brazil. They didn't seem too impressed either:

http://www.futebolinterior.com.br/news.php?id_news=121143

On a DP, Deco seems to be making noises about wanting to leave Chelsea after the World Cup. While he seems to want to go home to Brazil, I suspect money would talk. He would seem to be a good fit for Red Bull with the Portuguese base and the fact the he also would be appealing to the Brazilian population in NJ.

From the Santos website:

Gols: Red Bull: Joel Lindpere, Mike Petke e Dane Richards. Santos FC: Germano

Cartões Amarelos: Red Bull: Ibrahim Salou e John Wolniec. Santos FC: Bruno Aguiare Zezinho

Local: Red Bull Arena (Harrinson - Nova Jersey - Estados Unidos)

Data: 20/03/2010

Horário: 19h30

Red Bull New York

Bouna Coundoul (Greg Sutton), Mike Petke , Jeremy Hall , Tim Ream, , Roy Miller, Joel Lindpere, Sinisa Ubiparipovic, Carl Robinson (Juan Agudelo ), Dane Richards, Macoumba Kandji e Ibrahim Salou (John Wolyniec). Técnico: Hans Backe.

Santos FC

Fábio Costa (Rafael), George Lucas, Bruno Aguiar, Luciano Castan (Diego Monar), Alex Sandro (Wesley Santos), Alan Santos (Jefferson), Germano, Breitner (Elivelton) , Zezinho (Crystian) , Giovanni (Marcel) e Neymar. Técnico: Dorival Júnior.

From the press reports that I have read,Robinho will be in Santos until after the World Cup as planned. The attached link essentially says the same.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6036824,00.html

I will say that it is highly unlikely that Santos could ever pay the necessary transfer fee to bring him back permanently. The salary is probably doable by using willing sponsors but Santos is not as big as say Flamengo and Corinthians, who use their claim to a large fan bases to woo sponsors. It's harder to get even deep-pocketed businesses to sponsor the acquisition of a player by paying a large transfer fee. Transfer fees do get paid in Brazil but not at the level that would be expected in the Robinho case and especially not by Santos.

Archived