2011 V's Cup Format

With the planned inclusion of Edmonton for 2011, some V's are already talking about what format the tournament should take going forward.

http://voyageurscup.wordpress.com/2010/02/09/here-comes-edmonton/

http://canadiansoccerblog.ca/2010/02/09/an-optimistic-look-ahead-to-the-2011-voyageurs-cup/

In addition to these 2 blogs, people have talked about a playoff or championship game format. I would be against this sort of idea. I think our trophy should be awarded to the best soccer team in Canada and in my opinion a round-robin league format is the best way to accomplish this.

Winner of each group plays in a final at a pre-determined location (IE: declared before the competition starts, in a major stadium).
I'm not yet sure we're ready for that in Canada. I really don't think there would be that much of a crowd at SS if the final is to be played between Edmonton and Vancouver. And what do you mean by saying "major" stadium ? Are you talking about the BMO/SS type or the Rogers Center/Big O/BC Place type ? Cause like I said, even the regular stadiums would be a long-shot to fill to capacity IMO. We're not talking about the Memorial Cup here...

The MLS & NASL/USL leagues play 30 games. In the EPL and Championship it is 40 plus FA Cup. I don't see a problem keeping the current format even when more teams join NASL. I like the home and home setup. To keep the quality of the games good I think they should keep it for teams at the Div2 and up level for now. If the CSL & other tier 3 leagues can ever figure out how to choose a single champion then look at including them.

I'm in favour of keeping the format as is (home and home, round-robin tournament). We're only talking about 4 clubs here so I don't think it would be a huge burden on the schedule. If however we ever get to the point where we're dealing with say 8 clubs or more (Ottawa, Hamilton, Victoria, Calgary...) it might be worthwhile to split it up into 2 "divisions" along regional lines (east and west) where teams would play other teams in their division twice (home and home) and the top 2 from each division advance to the "semi-finals" wherein 2nd place team from one division plays 1st place team from the other division in a home and home to determine who advances to the final. I think this would help reduce travel time/costs as well as ensure that the schedules don't become too tight (if it's 8 clubs, a team could theoretically play a minimum of 6 games and a maximum of 9 as opposed to 14 games if we were to stick to a round-robin tourney). Just my 2 cents.

The MLS & NASL/USL leagues play 30 games. In the EPL and Championship it is 40 plus FA Cup. I don't see a problem keeping the current format even when more teams join NASL. I like the home and home setup. To keep the quality of the games good I think they should keep it for teams at the Div2 and up level for now. If the CSL & other tier 3 leagues can ever figure out how to choose a single champion then look at including them.

Shorter NA playing seasons, longer travel, and a play-off league format, so to my mind hard to compare the two. But it doesn't take much more to create match conjection as it is. And you've got to keep in mind the V's Cup winner advances into the CONCACRAP Champions League in the autumn. Which adds at least another 8 matches (ahem, two if your Toronto) to the calender.

That's a Hell of a lot of non-league matches to add to the schedule.

Actually, the EPL plays 38 games. You don't play yourself. EPL also has FA Cup, and League Cup.

If the CSL is a part of the CSA - does that mean the league champion is involved with the Voyageurs Cup? If so - that leaves 5 teams which makes things a bit difficult.

So do we then allow the top two CSL teams to make it six teams and use the idea of the two groups of three?

GROUP A: Toronto FC, Montréal Impact, CSL Runner Up

GROUP B: Vancouver Whitecaps, FC Edmonton, CSL League Champion

Or does the CSL get shut out and we stick with the Big Three and FC Edmonton?

Here's the problem with the International Division... I'm a Portuguese-Canadian but even I would have a problem seeing "Portugal FC" as Canada's representative in the CONCACAF Champions League. And it's not just Portugal, obviously, it would be weird to see Toronto Croatia, Italia Shooters and Serbian White Eagles.

If the CSL is a part of the CSA - does that mean the league champion is involved with the Voyageurs Cup? If so - that leaves 5 teams which makes things a bit difficult.

So do we then allow the top two CSL teams to make it six teams and use the idea of the two groups of three?

GROUP A: Toronto FC, Montréal Impact, CSL Runner Up

GROUP B: Vancouver Whitecaps, FC Edmonton, CSL League Champion

Or does the CSL get shut out and we stick with the Big Three and FC Edmonton?

We should just stick with 4 teams for now. We should do the two groups of 6 when we get two more NASL franchises playing.

As for the issue of where the groups winners play, it's simple; have them play at the team's place who had the higher points out of the two. Either that or a home and home.

^^^ I'm certain it'll be two legged ties to keep the game count at maximum 4 games per team. You also don't have to worry about teams having nothing to play for at the end.

So just a draw then to determine who plays who? Not a bad idea you have to be the best team to win anyways no point in seeding just like in the FA Cup

Maybe they'd look at it as which ever team had the strongest season the previous season will play the team who had the worst season the previous one, with the middle two facing off. Or, I suppose, they could bring it down to the current seasons, which might put TFC and the Caps at a slight disadvantage as they'd be in MLS compared to Montreal and Edmonton in the NASL.

• 1 month later...

The Aussie have an intresting system. They Bias their Playoffs so that the teams with the best overall results in the competition in the Playoffs get home field advantage. This usually means that Melbourne Victory (usually the best team in the top four) play the final at their Home stadium. Might seam slightly unfair but they do get a decent crowd for the Grand final, and the oppostion try and raise their game in response. I just get little P***ed off As I support Adelaide and we always get pooped on!

I'm thinking we add the CSL champ to the mix and if we have another pro team, we throw them in to.

2 Groups of 3.

Winner of each group plays in a final at a pre-determined location (IE: declared before the competition starts, in a major stadium).

Sorry, the CSL is fantastic. I want it to grow, and I have even paid the insane $18 cover to go games at Lamport

I watched various CSL games almost every Friday for two summers and some other field you drive a car really really far to.

I am not convinced their inclusion at this point would be a good thing. It could in fact be a disaster.

The league is a very very good thing. But it's not on that level yet.

EPL also has larger squads and a more developed Reserve division, so they have the depth to play many bench players or called-up reserve players against weaker opponents in the League and FA Cup. In general (De Guzman case in point), top Euro leagues tend to have better conditioned players to play more games.

Archived