CSL expands to Brantford and Milton

http://www.brantnews.com/sports.cfm?page=sports&section=read&articleId=6877

The Canadian Soccer League has approved a bid to have a Brantford team included in the professional league’s 2010 season, which starts in May. Enter the Brantford Galaxy Soccer Club.

The official announcement is slated for Thursday, but Brant News learned earlier this week that the bid by two Hamilton residents was successful.

“We’re here because we’ve seen an opportunity for soccer to grow because of the new direction of the CSL,” Galaxy spokesperson Gerry Crnic said. “The CSL has very exciting plans for expansion … We’re very happy.”

The CSL is the only professional soccer league in the country comprised solely of Canadian teams.

Last year, it had 10 teams but has expanded to 13 for the 2010 season. The additional teams are from Hamilton, Milton and Brantford.

Crnic and club president Bosko Borjan made the Brantford bid on behalf of a group in Europe. They said the team would include both local players and professional players from Europe.....

People in Hamilton's soccer community don't appear to be too impressed by the new Brantford team:-

http://members3.boardhost.com/michelangelosc/msg/1265914199.html

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gotta love all the derbies in the league at least.... now if only they could raise the quality and get some coverage, I see it happening one day

I've been pestering cbc through the comment sections to cover CSL better...

At the very least they could have the standings listed, along with NASL and MLS standings (they have the 3rd of the all the 3).

The team will play our of Lions Park in Brantford. A widly used public field, in rough shape by mid-summer, with a track, one main stand that can seat around 1000 I would guess. I played a handful of games there and had a few track meets there in highschool, weak location for a CSL side. I find this to be an odd move, lets see how it works though.

come on you.. galaxy...??

The team will play our of Lions Park in Brantford. A widly used public field, in rough shape by mid-summer, with a track, one main stand that can seat around 1000 I would guess. I played a handful of games there and had a few track meets there in highschool, weak location for a CSL side. I find this to be an odd move, lets see how it works though.

come on you.. galaxy...??

Maybe Beckham will show up and ruin two seasons in a row before being loaned to an Italian club owned by a corrupt politician, returning, leading them to the final in playoffs and then watch in anguish as the other star player blows it in penalty kicks, and so do the rest of his teammates.

Is that the same Gerry Crnic that was part owner of the Hamilton Thunder? if so then I'm surprised the CSL got involved with him didn't the Thunder go under owing a lot of money to the City of Hamilton, players and the then CPSL, and the league had to pay their debt. Good luck to Brantford Youth soccer I hope you don't bet burnt by the guys involved with the CSL team.

Interesting times in the CSL. The dropping of the franchise fee is certainly creating interest.

Will the league persist with the International Division now that there is a potential new member in Hamilton Croatia?

It is good the league is adding teams outside Toronto but they need to address the gap between Toronto and Trois-Rivières.

Is that the same Gerry Crnic that was part owner of the Hamilton Thunder? if so then I'm surprised the CSL got involved with him didn't the Thunder go under owing a lot of money to the City of Hamilton, players and the then CPSL, and the league had to pay their debt.

You are correct, I'm also suprised with this move. I question who this "European Group" consists of?? Maybe just Ferrari and his mob, welcome back to the league

If you wade through the posts on the Hamilton Soccer Messageboard the ownership group appears to be from Croatia. One potential motivation would be that investing in a Canadian business is one way to get permanent resident status without having to go through the usual points based process. Might also explain why people with very low credibility after the Hamilton Thunder fiasco would be able to front the operation in a Canadian context.

As stated by a poster before, it seems like the waiving of the franchise fees have brought a tremendous amount of interest to the league. However this can also bring financial instability if the league does not do a thorough job.

One look at Hamilton Croatia's website shows how professional they are and I believe they will suceed.

A slick website guarantees only that the club has paid somebody to build a slick website, nothing else.

Richard, I think 53 years club history is more than a slick website, give credit where it is due and take some time and navigate through the website and you will see the club's long history, a lot more than most clubs can say. And don't assume.

adding to the hearsay,

Ownership is a group of 2-3. One having owned a NPSL (Google it) side. Just a slightly educated guess though,I wouldn’t put a dollar on it.

As for Ham Croatia...they are a well organized group, finically sound, and will have above average crowds at games. having said that, those fans are going to be the same fans that came out to h.c games last years, just on a more consistent bases. Don’t expect a significant amount of non-Croats to come out and care about the team. There is to much animosity within the ethnic groups in the hammer, and for the folks who do realize they are actually Canadian, they won’t want to deal with the bullshit surrounding a Croatia based team. Having to listen to wanna bees yelling racial slurs from the stands, and the whole ideology of having "everything" Croatia..players,flags,fans,signing of national anthem ect just won’t fly in this town. This team will be competitive, and well supported by the Croatian community.

I don’t understand why the CSL wouldn’t push the other expansion team into Brantford…the team would do much better in Hamilton, giving the city a team they can actually proudly support.

For Hamilton to really get behind a side, we need an organization that represents the city...not a foreign country. That will come with the new stadium opening the doors for the NASL..

Any idea whether Hamilton Croatia will use the "Croatia" tag or will drop it in favour of a more traditional North American sport franchise moniker? I would think they would have a greater chance of attracting fans by not using "Croatia".

A slick website guarantees only that the club has paid somebody to build a slick website, nothing else.

I disagree. A club's website is very symbolic of the type of organization it has. This isn't something I have just noticed, but something I have observed after years of experience. The reason being are that leaders recognize the importance of the professional look so they spend money and effort into it and keeping it updated. Heres Proof: CSL Website isnt updated very often, thus the league's professionalism could be vastly improved

My initial response was to the OP who said they have a slick website so therefore club must have some substance. This was never a commentary on the specific club in question, only on the erroneous assumption made by the OP.

The fact that I am known to be philosophically opposed to the whole notion of ethnic teams in the CSL or other top Canadian amateur or pseudo-pro leagues has no bearing on this particular discussion.

Archived