CSL expands to Brantford and Milton

If it was not for the ethnic population in this Country there would be no Country and even more so in the sport of soccer which is driven my ethnic people who love the sport, have passion and desire from grassroots soccer to professional soccer and have developed the sport in this Country.....you appear to be one of those armchair critics, though unfair to judge you since I don't know you which is the same case as you judging "ethnic" organizations. The game of soccer in this country has enough negative people and reviewing your posts you seem to be one of them.....Go watch hockey if you don't like the ethnic tag that soccer has, but then again isn't the NHL full of ethnic players or do they hold a different "ethnic" label.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't particularly want to re-open this debate that has been covered to death in this forum already but ethnic teams at the recreational level I have no problem with. And if you care to learn more about my own soccer pedigree, read what you will find under the 'About BCSW' tab at www.bcsoccerweb.com, you may be surprised. Furthermore, I too am an immigrant to Canada and am all too familiar with ethnic issues.

This is the website for the 13th member club in the Canadian Soccer League:

http://www.milltownfc.com/

Full Disclosure: I have been working, together with a small group of highly dedicated people (including L.T.) for the past 8 months to turn a long held aspiration into a reality. This is the end result.

We are very excited to be involved in the CSL and we hope we can count on the moral support from the Voyageurs community for this new venture.

Good to see: CSL adds teams outside Toronto and kills the failed International division in favour of a single table. The player member program has so far worked extremely well to bring in new communities to the league. If the new teams are reasonable successful, we'll be seeing many more joining next season.

Dino, I don't know if this has been thought about yet, but has any consideration been given to cross-promoting the Voyageurs and Milltown FC? It could be anything from wearing the Voyageurs patch on the sleeve of the training kit or even the playing strip. It shouldn't/wouldn't take away from any main sponsorship you would get obviously but if we could get a small fee to the club, would it be considered? I kind of stole this idea from an earlier thread about sponsoring a non-league club or something like that.

I'd be willing to chip in a few hundred $ for sure.

As someone who identifies himself first and foremost as a V, I'd gladly take this idea to my partners.

We are working on sponsorship proposals. When they are ready, I'll post the link and I'll leave it to all of you to decide if it is something that has some amount of support. My gut reaction is that nothing would make me happier than to carry the V's logo on the kit, somewhere.

In so many ways, Milltown FC doesn't happen if not for the V's. I've learned so much and met so many people thanks to my involvement in the V's.

I have very strong feelings about how important the V's are and I am always trying to promote the group however possible. Combining my two Canadian soccer passions (The V's and Milltown) would be a wonderful combo.

I promise you that I won't try to sell you guys on it. I'll leave it for you all to debate the pros and cons...I'll stay out of it completely as I have a very obvious conflict of interest. Whatever is decided is OK with me. If the answer is "not a good idea", there will be no hard feelings at all.

Thanks for the reply, Dino. I think if there is a way we can get some promotion out there for the Voyageurs which is affordable, then why not. Unlike the club teams, Canada doesn't play on a regular basis and it feels as if there's always a bit of a lull on these boards when we aren't playing.

Once you have everything ironed out, perhaps a thread could be started in the Voyageurs section up top on the main page to gauge interest. Like I said, I would be willing to make a donation to this and perhaps, we can get some others who can afford it, to donate as well.

Dino, I don't know if this has been thought about yet, but has any consideration been given to cross-promoting the Voyageurs and Milltown FC? It could be anything from wearing the Voyageurs patch on the sleeve of the training kit or even the playing strip. It shouldn't/wouldn't take away from any main sponsorship you would get obviously but if we could get a small fee to the club, would it be considered? I kind of stole this idea from an earlier thread about sponsoring a non-league club or something like that.

I'd be willing to chip in a few hundred $ for sure.

As I said to you earlier today, I'm with you on this Al. I'll chip in a hundred.

Grand idea. Once the different opportunitie become known, we should take the next steps...

A quick idea...Voyaguer-Milltown FC parntership.

We promote Milltown FC on our website/support them as much as possible at games,merch sales ect.

We get a sideline ad(or whatever is worked out) at a discount rate.

Got to respect VPjr and co for putting their money where their mouth is and getting involved directly in the CSL but I'm not sure this is the best move the CSL could have made at this point. Hamilton Croatia have a track record of recent success in the OSL and have clearly earned the right to play in a league like the CSL on the field of play. The Brantford and Milton entries don't have that kind of pedigree and therefore are more of a gamble. Having said that I hope it works out well in both cases. Not sure about Milton as a location given it is not that large a community and its relatively recent growth means it probably doesn't have much of a community spirit. Was there a reason why Oakville or Burlington were out of the question despite their much larger populations? If attracting a regular crowd is a key concern I'd also have thought about going over the escarpment to Guelph or Kitchener-Waterloo but can understand why GTA based people would want to stay relatively close to where they have contacts within the game and know the local scene.

Not sure about Milton as a location given it is not that large a community and its relatively recent growth means it probably doesn't have much of a community spirit.

Milton, despite its massive (and rapid) growth over the past 6 years, has managed to retain alot of its community spirit. That is a reason why we were attracted to the town. We have been getting a ton of requests for tickets from the local area already, which is very nice to see, especially considering we have not even released prices or package details yet.

Also, being a resident of Northwest Mississauga, Milton is a 10-15 minute drive from home so it is very easy for me (and other members of the management group who also live in close proximity to Milton) to have a regular presence in the community and to get involved.

The enthusiasm of Milton Youth Soccer Club to partner with us was very attractive. We look forward to working with them.

Fourth, we believe Town council is quite committed to helping grow the game of soccer in the community. They are investing in new fields to ensure that there will always be a place to play for those that want to. Hopefully an indoor facility is not that far away either.

We may be a bit of a "gamble" but we have a strong management group, with highly experienced soccer and business people in key roles. We'll be just fine, although there will inevitably be some bumps in the road, just like there is for any start up.

re: Oakville and Burlington, there are very large community clubs in both cities. I'm sure that if there will ever be CSL franchises in those two communities, those two community clubs (Oakville Soccer Club and Burlington Youth Soccer Club) will have some role to play in making that happen.

If solid ownership groups were to appear in Guelph or K-W wanting to starting a club to join the CSL, Milltown FC would support it. They would be instant rivals. Those are excellent soccer communities. Hopefully the 3 new groups in the CSL this season will have good on and off field success and that will encourage others to want to get in on the action.

• 2 weeks later...

Milltown FC's 1st ever open tryouts are coming up next weekend (March 27-28 in Milton, Ontario)

Tryout Registration Details are posted here:

http://www.milltownfc.com/?page=tryouts

Link to press release announcing tryouts here:

http://www.milltownfc.com/index.php?page=article&ID=12

So far, the number of pre-registrations for the tryouts has been overwhelming. We are quite pleased.

Archived