Edmonton CONFIRMED!

My take was that they're quite serious. I think that someone like Dwight Lodeweges could smell a fool's errand a mile away and wouldn't be tempted to move his family here based on a fantasy. One of the things that comes to mind now, but that I forgot to include in my report was that one of the reasons the coaching staff was being introduced right now is that Dwight was basically signed on his way to another interview. They (FC Edmonton) needed to put up or shut up, so they felt they had to make a move quickly and decisively.

I strongly doubt that they believe that they can get by on just local players, but they are quite committed to developing Canadian player talent. If you're going to do that, then there's going to be some growing pains.

I think they need to strike the right balance between foreign/experienced players who can win some games, with the Canadian developmental players who will hopefully develop some depth for the MNT.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If FC Edmonton ran out a squad of eleven high-quality USL-1/USSF-2 veterans, bolster it with the occasional old MLS benchwarmer, and packed their bench and a Residency program chock full of prairie boys, I don't think any of us would have a problem with that. On the contrary, most of us would applaud it.

But once burned, twice shy, as the saying goes.

strobe, any plans of resurrecting "the hanger"?? it was a lovely supporters site for a side we'd all like to forget about.

I'm all set. I made it a point to approach both Tom and Mel to ask about their plans for working with supporters not so much because I thought they'd have any details worth sharing, but mainly to plant the seed that this would be an important factor in their success. I wanted to point out to both of them that recreational soccer "fans" are not the ones that are going to provide the backbone of support. I must confess that I'm thinking of the 10-15 "core" Edmonton-based V's to be the nucleus of the "Drill Crew"... or whatever.

From the NASL Twitter, the head coach of what they call "FC Edmonton" will be Dwight Lodeweges, an Alberta-born Dutch-capped former footballer who has actually managed in the Eredivisie. An unusually high-profile hire, given the traditional Edmonton history of just hiring Ross Ongaro for six bucks an hour.

That guy played with Van Basten right?

I strongly doubt that they believe that they can get by on just local players, but they are quite committed to developing Canadian player talent. If you're going to do that, then there's going to be some growing pains.

Well, they'll probably have a run of the mill USL caliber roster to begin with. However, their emphasis on future talent will be on developing their own players.

Any word on a working relationship with the Whitecaps? I ask simply because that had always been the rumour.

There was no mention of any relationship with the Whitecaps. Hopefully that means the Vancouver NASL team can find another home in Canada... Victoria or Calgary come to mind...

Oh, and yes, "FC Edmonton" is indeed a temporary name. I have a sneaking suspicion that Edmonton Drillers will make a comeback though.

I'd be in favour of a name that has nothing to do with "Drillers" or "Aviators" or anything like that. Every time I hear those names, I immediately get negative ideas - failed franchises and constant disappointment to soccer fans in and around the Edmonton area.

If they're serious about this franchise (and it appears they are) I think they should carve out a new identity. Start fresh!

How bout you call yourselves "The Rig Pigs," it'd be a lot more representative of the stuff that comes out of Edmonton these days...

Edmonton Garrison. Edmonton Troopers. Edmonton Brigade.

Or, saving money on unis with a slight mod, the ever so trendy and salute to hi-tech, Edmonton Avatars.

So soccer returns to the prairies! A grand day it is. I think the idea of getting some central american players (ie mexican) is a good idea. Judging by the number of mexicans at the WCQ I was at there seems to be quite a few in Edmonton. Not all would be going to the game but at least you would get some word of mouth amongst the local communities.

I'll be up there for the Whitecaps games for sure and I'll sneak in for a few other games.

Speaking of which I hope this leads to something in Calgary. The stampede grounds have a 12,000 seat stadium and gets used for 2 weeks a year. You would be on the road from the middle of June to the middle of July but the rest of the year you'd get an excellent venue.

Congrats to Edmonton,

This of course can only be a good thing for Calgary as we can't allow you guys to get ahead of us in pro-teams. ;o)

There's been talk about Calgary United adding an outdoor team to the fold from it's inseption and the NASL looks like a perfect fit.

Please, please, please.

Great news. It's now up to the fans to step up .

How is the soccer scene in Edmonton compared to Calgary ?

Hey Joe, I lived in Edmonton for 4 years and I gotta say I was really impressed with the game in Edmonton compared to back home in Montreal. There are so many leagues, teams, players and facilities. The game is really popular and I find it is a lot bigger than back in Mtl I wondered why the people in Edm couldn't get their own USL team. Someone had told me they tried in the past with the Drillers but the owners were to blame for their failure.

My impression over almost 20 years here is that Calgary supports hockey extremely well at the elite level, football slightly less so, and everything else has a hard time drawing well. The attempts at soccer here in the last 10 years or so that I followed closely just couldn't get the bums in seats that you'd like to see. The PDL Storm were deceptive in their first year in that they drew well at the PDL level (>2000 avg I'd guess), but when the team made the jump to A-League there was no increase in attendance. I think a decent venue would at least give soccer a chance at success here as there is nothing suitable now.

That was solely in regard to professional franchises.

At the club / youth level, Calgary is a good soccer town. There are a number of big clubs that are competitive with each other in the city, fight Edmonton clubs provincially and also do well at the nationals. Clubs from Calgary have won gold medals at the U18 and U16 level over the past three years, sweeping the U18's in 2009 and the U16's in 2007.

And the Callies are a dynasty at the senior level. So on the amateur side, things are quite good.

" The team will play initially in either Foote Field or Clarke Park, but because of NASL rules will have to find a new home with no football markings. That, said Kowalchuk, likely will mean a new stadium."-Edmonton Journal.

That my friends would be massive. What's Tom and Dave Fath history, I know nothing about these guys but I assume they have being around the football block in the past?? Big pockets? I wonder if Kerfoot could have in investments in Fath Sports?

Archived