NSC Minnesota Stars Unveil Club Name and Crest

Tuscan

Goodbye Thunder, hello Stars. I'm not sure if the live video has been upped anywhere yet, so no link for the time being. Club colours appear to be dark blue and gold, similar to the LA Galaxy. They combined the two most popular names, top choice Minnesota North Stars and second choice NSC Minnesota, to come up with NSC Minnesota Stars. Obviously there must still be a trademark on the name "Minnesota North Stars" as they chose to avoid going with that one.

This is perhaps looking too deep into it, but everything this club has done so far has been done right. Even the way the live video unveiling was produced today was done well, and the information and way the information was spoken about during the live feed was done properly. It's good to know the NASL has respectable clubs involved in it, unlike some of the garbage the USL was involved with over the years...

This league is beginning to take baby steps. It's about time, that Team owners realize how important professionalism is to any league. This is especially true for expansion or reconstituted franchises. Positive news is coming out of the camps of teams such as, Tampa Bay Rowdies who held camps in England, AC St. Louis signing Steve Ralston, and Crystal Palace Baltimore moving foreword in building their own ss stadium.

The next and most important step is improving the quality of the product on the pitch. Teams are signing interesting players, but it takes a certain type of player to go down and pull off a victory in a playoff game in Estadio Juan Ramón Loubriel.

Minnesota got off to a good start. They actually spent a little money on media relations. This team has a small but die hard fan base, and the knack to produce and develop some pretty decent players. Lets see if management could find a way to use these advantages to take them to next level.

I think Minnesota Baggies is a classy name with a really nice ring to it. It has a lot more character than "FC", "United", or "City", and would bring respect and instant tradition to the team and league. I'm sure ESPN and other major networks would jump at the chance to be associated with the name "Minnesota Baggies". They could broadcast the games and call it "Baggies Night in America".

And there's so much you could do with it from a marketing standpoint. They could get Glad to be the shirt sponsor, wear especially baggy shorts then get the "Pants of the Ground" guy to sing the national anthem, hand out dime bags to lucky fans, and invite homeless people to the games.

Stars? Phht. Totally stupid name. What do stars have to do with soccer?

Hold on, I sorta see where he's coming from on this. How about the opportunity to introduce new merchandising options to soccer clubs. Things like barf baggies and doggy baggies could be introduced, one on flights with their new airline sponsor (which I'm sure they'd get simply through the brand power of the nickname) and the other for when fans take their dogs for a walk in the park.

Alan, "Baggies" has as little to do with soccer

Horsefeathers. After games players often apply ice to muscles and joints to reduce inflamation. A common way to do so is by filling a plastic baggie with ice and holding it in place with plastic wrap. I've known physios who would take entire rolls of plastic baggies from Safeway for this purpose. I've done it myself. Baggies are also commonly used to hold tape, registration cards, and other small items used by players and trainers. Go to the bench or dressing room of any professional team and you are likely to find quite a few baggies.

Tuscan:

Good idea with the doggy poo baggies! Environmentally and socially responsible, pet-friendly, while promoting a healthy outdoor activity! Make them colourful and attractive and they would be great conversation starters.

Archived