DeGuzman and DeRo for May friendlies?

masster

I know I am getting way ahead of myself here. No dates for May friendlies have been formally announced and I'm already thinking about who is going to be on the roster. But with the announcement of the Voyageur's Cup schedule today, I couldn't help but think if Dero and/or JDG will be available.

I don't think we can go into a game against opponents of Argentina's quality without our best roster, especially Julian who is such an important part of our National Team. We just don't have a replacement for him in that position. The Argentina friendly is suppossed to be the 25th with friendly #2 (I assume) a couple of days before or after.

Toronto has a Nutrilite game on the 19th followed by league games on the 22nd and 29th and the final Nutrilite game on June 2nd. If you are TFC, what do you do? If you are Hart, what do you do? DeRo already said no to Gold Cup 2009, can he afford to say no to this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel that Preki might allow one of them to be released. It will probably be Julian and not DeRosario. I feel like that is most likley. Next most likely would be that neither would be realsed. And I SERIOUSLY doubt that both of them would be released.

Perhaps Preki has been thinking ahead about the possibility of either DeRo or JDG, or both, playing friendlies, as he's made a few midfield acquisitions so far that seemed unusual to me until now.

He's only made one thus far and it was for an injured wing player.

This wouldn't even be a debate anywhere else in the world. They shouldn't be called. Not for a friendly. And especially not on a non-international date (although the European season is over at that time so its a gray area).

Hard to find argument there.

Geezus, TFC is going to have a wicked May as it is. I can no see how the club can make any sort of allowance for international friendlies for ANY player, and not just the Canadians.

It's going to be all-hands Sound General Quarters.

One Hell wicked May.

If the match actually meant something, I'd say call them. But it's a friendly, and we're trying to find depth. Suppose that both are injured in our next meaningful and competitive match. We will need to call up two somebodies to replace them. To me, it only makes sense to act as if we are in that situation in May and call up two young players or two players we think can fulfill their roles in the next Gold Cup. In all likelihood De Ro will be retired from International football by 2011, and De Guz will likely be done from it after the 2014 World Cup campaign concludes. Time to start searching for younger players to fill these roles in non-competitive matches.

Here are my thoughts:

If you are the CSA, you have to take your best players to games like these. Yes, we need to play younger guys and expand our player pool, but a game against Argentina is not the time to do that. We always talk about the need for our players to play more games together, then when we do have games, we never call out 'best' team and they never play together. Hart has to ask for these 2 guys. The World Cup starts on June 11th, so MLS teams will probably already be without their American World Cup players as I assume they will be in camp. If I was Hart, I would try to make this argument.

From TFC's perspective, Preki has a delicate situation. He needs to read the feelings of Dero and JDG. If the players really want to go and you don't allow them to, you might have some important and angry players on your hands. If TFC already has the Voyageur's Cup wrapped up and are in a good league position, then let the players go. If the season doesn't get off to a great start however, then I think he would have some real problems saying yes to Hart.

From a fan's perspective, I think these matches do mean something. Every match we play means something whether it is a friendly or not. A winning attitude and mentality can't just start during WCQ. It needs to be built up before that. Looking and our last 3 friendlies, I don't think we are taking this seriously enough. I don't know how much we gain by being embarrassed in a friendly, and I fear that if JDG, Dero and Jakovic are not available, that is a very real possibility.

Side note: When we played Brazil in May in Seattle last year, was that an international date?

Preki might say yes if one or both said to him that they really really want to go.
ROTFLMAO Pehaps if they say please? :)

In the best of circumstances it is extremely unlikely. But for a meaningless friendly on the other side of the world, in a period when TFC has 8 matches in 29 days, with a current roster of only 19 player - 3 of which are injured.

Why would it even cross Hart's mind to ask?

From TFC's perspective, Preki has a delicate situation. He needs to read the feelings of Dero and JDG...

I'd be willing to wager that Preki won't be losing any sleep over this issue because his focus will be on advancing his own career by finally getting TFC into the playoffs and that will mean fielding the strongest possible team in every MLS game this season. There really is no scope for debate on this one if he adopts that posture because on a non-FIFA calendar date there is a contractual obligation on the part of DeRosario and JDG to play for the club/league which is paying out the big money contract just as there was for many of the European based players where the recent game against Jamaica was concerned. I strongly suspect that the only TFC players that will be involved in any CMNT game in May will be fringe players who would benefit from some extra playing time or who have a guaranteed contract but no longer fit into Preki's plans. At the moment Ali Gerba would be the prime suspect on that but I suspect he may turn things around in terms of his TFC career over the next three months.

Don't count on Preki or Mo letting anyone go for anything related to the MNT. If a player is not in TFC's plans, maybe he'll be released. Beyond that, the team going to South America will probably be almost entirely made up of European based players.

Don't count on Preki or Mo letting anyone go for anything related to the MNT. If a player is not in TFC's plans, maybe he'll be released. Beyond that, the team going to South America will probably be almost entirely made up of European based players.

I know that's the logical response and the only one that makes any sense, but something tells me Hart has more balls than to just sit back and assume he can't call MLS players. Hart will call these players, and their managers will have to put up more of a fight than they have in years past to keep them at the club. These are high profile opponents and players like JDG and DeRo won't be happy about staying home while their countrymen are playing.

Follow up to that on some additional thoughts:

Shouldn't we be using this as an opportunity to call some of the European based players? At that point of the season, either the season will be over in Europe or everything that is necessary tol be decided has already been decided. We used the January camp to look at North American based players, shouldn't we be calling a good chunk of those European based ones to the camp instead.

It's easy to say that though, if you don't support TFC.

The fact is, if we lose those players, to fatigue, national team duty or injury, during the May Stretch, we may just lose out on Champions League and a shot at making playoffs. To lose our two best midfielders at the most critical juncture of our season (May is going to be an intense month) would be devastating to the club, especially for the Canadian Cup. If one was a Whitecaps or Impact supporter, it would make sense to push for these call ups, but for a friendly, it is not worth losing either player to me. If this was the World Cup Qualifiers, I'd say go, but it's not, even against A List competition...

A question for the TFC fans in the house:

If, hypothetically, a friendly against an A-list opponent during the MLS season was held at BMO Field, would that change your opinion about allowing them to be released?

On the same day they are already playing, on a non-international day? Of course it wouldn't change one's mind. Why would it?

Now if it's an international day, then they should be playing for Canada ... be the game in Toronto or in Suva. And this will likely happen this September as there will likely be Canada matches in Canada (presumably with at least one at BMO) on Saturday September 4th and Tuesday September 7th, with Toronto playing away games on the 4th and 8th.

Thank you TFC! I knew this was going to be a problem all along. Sure look at it through a TFC marketing standpoint: we got Canadian players; We are doing something good for Canadian soccer; these guys are building awesome chemistry and we'll sell even more tickets and merchandise. When TFC started signing a lot of our Canadian talent, I thought, that's just great, now what happens when the Gold Cup comes around? If we want to qualify for a WC we'll need our best players. How can we get our best players to play for the National Team when the few good ones play for one team and there would be no way of letting them go as you'd have no one left to play for the club, not to mention MLS is backwards and does not run with the FIFA schedule. Canadian fans want to see our talent like DeGuzman, DeRo and Gerba but sorry Canada, Toronto has them locked up. I'm sure they're really happy to be missing the chance to play against Messi, Tevez and the likes coached by Mardonna. Can't wait for VAN and MTL to join the league to stop the TFC monopoly.

This is what you get with games on dates not on the FIFA calendar. There's more to it than just the TFC factor, we have a few national team starters on other MLS clubs as well.

More opportunity for our Euro based players, many of whom will have just finished their season. Maybe this could be the carrot for Junior Hoilett joining us.

Archived