2010 CONCACAF U17 Tournament

Vic

Well we held the eleven US girls scoreless and are playing with a lot more confidence. They should have the ability to hold one extra Mexican.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 minutes to go, Canada holding their own and more on just 10 players; keeper very brave again in this tournament.

One of the few good chances Mexico has had is wasted wide. A few mintutes later a long free kick off the cross-bar is over. Not much left now.

3 minutes extra time. Canada holding, defending a corner kick.

Pure joy for those girls! Champions!!!

Justice is done ! You deserve to win the tournament for having beaten what was supposed to be the best team !

Very well defended with one girl out. Mexico hasn't been much threathening !

Congrats girls and coaching staff ! Well done !

I wish I knew more than tourist Spanish. They were talking about Craig Forrest but I didn't quite follow it. Perhaps we are in the running for tournament MVP, Forrest having done that with our Gold Cup in 2000?

Well I thoroughly enjoyed seeing those young girls carry the trophy around the stadium. Truly inspirational.They were ecstatic. Most everyone, yours truly included, had written them off after the iffy performance against Panama and then losing to Mexico. What a magnificent result for our girls!! The year 2010 is proving to be a very good year for Canadians playing for their country!

I wish I knew more than tourist Spanish. They were talking about Craig Forrest but I didn't quite follow it. Perhaps we are in the running for tournament MVP, Forrest having done that with our Gold Cup in 2000?

They were talking about Canada winning the Gold Cup and that Craig Forrest was a great keeper who introduced the moving along the goal line and that he stopped several PKs. All good comments. I stayed tuned until the very end and there were no other awards besides the cup and medals. No MVP, golden shoe, etc. I was surprised too that the US was not there to received their 3rd. place medal. They must be really pissed.

Ian Bridge was at the Whitecaps game today. Really disappointed I didn't get the chance to ask him about the job Rosenfeld was doing. I wasn't sure if he'd be enthusiastic or just start swearing for ten minutes.

Who cares ? Absents are always wrong !

Well, what do you say? Entirely out of the blue and I'd dare to say a very happy accident for the good folks at the CSA even if it does put them in for a bit of work and some further expenses.

No way the U17 Lady Canucks can't be given a fair deal of prep matches now. After all this to do so would be criminal.

Congrats all around. Quite a story in a year already filled with great Canadian sporting stories.

True gritty win for Canada, this team of girls have shown the beat of the Canadian spirit. Now onto the big show in less then five months. As any good coach would do, this round should show him what needs to be done. Two areas need to be improved, goalkeeping and finishing. We will see what this coach does. Is he responsible to the team or to put the best product for Canada on the pitch?

The funny thing is anyone who watched the Olympics on a U.S. channel in the past few months saw about five references a day to the USA's 1980 miracle on ice. Well we just had one on grass and have our new national heroines.

I was thinking the other day about all the great young players we have bubbling through to our senior program and how bright the future was. And now it's even more spectacular.

And while the purge is on I don't have much regret other than one sentence after the Mexico game about how I thought we should spend more time developing winners than great players. I didn't see anyone driven to the edge of their existence to get the result, no one close to tears, no one down on the turf at the end of the game physically spent and emotionally devastated. The rest is legend and they are extremely capable and talented WINNERS, but I do hope we incorporate something into our programs to instill that hunger and level of mental, physical and emotional commitment on demand. That expectation may be a bit much for 16yr olds, but given our population and resources in the football world it will be tough to survive without it.

Our run of bad losses in the late 90's prompted the Pellerud tenure, and the Mexico Olympic loss led to the waning Pellerud years which brought about the new release from direct play. Losses change things. Of the last six CONCACAF women's youth tournaments we have absolutely stunningly and miraculously won three. In the first two the Americans still qualified for a World Cup and have never not made a semi-final in any women's World Cup at any age. This defeat will burn the Americans for a year as the tournament is prepped this Summer and played in the Fall, and the net result will be major change. They will amp up their programs and raise the bar even higher to make sure this never happens again. Their goal will be 6 of the next 6 and they will go hard after it.

The goal for this team is to not rest on their laurels and for each and every one of them to improve each week until the tournament in the Fall. And the goal for the CSA is to understand what's going to come from down South and not rest on their victory laurels more than a glass of champagne - and to quickly sit down and come up with a way to to continue to be a nation 10% of their size with 100% of their results at the women's youth level.

Was thinking of what some of the postives that could come out of the big upset over the USA U17's... maybe they will now want to take us a little more seriously and actually invite us for some friendlies in the future? Could help both programmes.

Or am I dreaming? Any comments?

Was thinking of what some of the postives that could come out of the big upset over the USA U17's... maybe they will now want to take us a little more seriously and actually invite us for some friendlies in the future? Could help both programmes.

Or am I dreaming? Any comments?

9, I suspect the US will do exactly that. However we don't actually know if there is a U17 team program that works 12 months of the year the US could access. Our 2008 U17 team was disbanded and the program was no where to be found after New Zealand. Exactly what coach would have been available to accept an invitation?

Going forward with the U17 team I am pondering what the CSA has planned for the World Cup team!. Is BR going to survive to be this teams coach? Will the CSA bring in another coach as they did with the U20's in 2008 after their concacaf championship i.e. Birrada out and Ian Bridges in? I doubt that the CSA has any funds to spend on coaches or friendlies unless they pool their budget for the women's program which means involving CM's U20 and Senior Team plans and including the U17 team. Perhaps finances alone will force the direction the CSA goes with the U17 team through to the world cup!

Any comments?

I doubt that the CSA has any funds to spend on coaches or friendlies unless they pool their budget for the women's program which means involving CM's U20 and Senior Team plans and including the U17 team. Perhaps finances alone will force the direction the CSA goes with the U17 team through to the world cup!

Any comments?

I believe most if not all of what the last cycle of 17s did pre-world cup was funded out of their own pockets, including the camp to France in September. Anyone see that changing this time around?

Not sure. Do we have more funds than back in 2008.....u17 WC 2008? Maybe a little more. There has to be more if the CSA plan's to carry out their latest strategic plan, which even had a U15 group starting in 2010 if I recall.

A positive sign can be our U20's: although our U20's did not qualify you would think the programme is dead. But they have called a camp in May from what I hear. So Morace is trying to keep things rolling even if it would have been easy to drop the U20's for one year or so.

Well let's hope the kids get the money they need . The big news now that the kids are home and parents are talking. It would seem that after the team beat the USA, BR announced to the team, that Head coach Morace had put the game plan together after the Mexico lost on how to defend against the mighty scoring machine. BR and his staff worked hard over the few days they had with the team to get them to commit and understand her game plan.

Well done Head Coach and Bravo B.R for working together for the girls and Canada....can we have some more of that for the world stage? It would be nice!

Well let's hope the kids get the money they need . The big news now that the kids are home and parents are talking. It would seem that after the team beat the USA, BR announced to the team, that Head coach Morace had put the game plan together after the Mexico lost on how to defend against the mighty scoring machine. BR and his staff worked hard over the few days they had with the team to get them to commit and understand her game plan.

Well done Head Coach and Bravo B.R for working together for the girls and Canada....can we have some more of that for the world stage? It would be nice!

Gives an answer to those who were wondering what Morace was doing at the tournament ! Winning is all about teamwork ! The club I belong to has a great organisation with competent people working with each coach, attending games, evaluating players and coaches, recommanding courses of action and we have winning teams sometimes with players and/or coaches that are not as good as opponents that however can't rely on such support. Great BR and Morace teamed up together ! We need all help we can get wherever it might come from !

Archived