2010 CONCACAF U17 Tournament

Vic

Are you saying he should be spanked ?

Seriously Morace has a lot to answer for allowing the CSA Pooh bahs .. to apoint Bryan Rosenfeld to coach a national side.. he has far far to much baggage in how he treats players to be allowed to be in contact with them, much like Pelerud his person managment skills are lacking, let alone his understanding of game tactics. Ask BR s players just what they understand about playing the game ..what system how to counteer certain formations.. when you get the blank stares you might figure out he does not know how to coach the modern game .. he is a failed acolyte of Jimmy One Foot Canovan.... sad he has be allowed to be kept on by the OSA.

Not a farmer then eh? You spank on the porch or in the yard. You take the old dog out behind the barn.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Case in point, this long weekend camp last month with 200 girls (which is not even run by their national program) would cost more than our entire U17 budget.

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/story.asp?story_id=5088

ODP is a parent funded program for selected players. It used to be the "only" way to become identified for the national team (sound familiar)! These days there is competition among associations. ID2 is now a rival program with the same aim. Their camps are "free" to participants. They are made up of the "super academy" teams and take their all stars on friendly’s world wide. However to be selected to ID2 you need to be good but don’t necessarily have to have money.

Consistent with US Soccer, they are progressive. They have introduced alternatives with in their structure to continue with the goal of improving soccer at the youth level.

Here in Ontario the OSA has done everything in their power to "squash" alternatives. The recent law suite between SAAC and OSA is a case in point. If it was not for the recent FIFA regulation guideline updates for National Associations in March 2009, the OSA would still be continuing to squash Academies and turn alternative progressive programs aside. I understand in April 2010 the OSA will be formally accepting SAAC now with in Ontario hence the development alternatives for youth goalies will be officially recognized versus just one person i.e. BR.

Can't wait!

ODP is a parent funded program for selected players. It used to be the "only" way to become identified for the national team (sound familiar)! These days there is competition among associations. ID2 is now a rival program with the same aim. Their camps are "free" to participants. They are made up of the "super academy" teams and take their all stars on friendly’s world wide. However to be selected to ID2 you need to be good but don’t necessarily have to have money.

Consistent with US Soccer, they are progressive. They have introduced alternatives with in their structure to continue with the goal of improving soccer at the youth level.

Here in Ontario the OSA has done everything in their power to "squash" alternatives. The recent law suite between SAAC and OSA is a case in point. If it was not for the recent FIFA regulation guideline updates for National Associations in March 2009, the OSA would still be continuing to squash Academies and turn alternative progressive programs aside. I understand in April 2010 the OSA will be formally accepting SAAC now with in Ontario hence the development alternatives for youth goalies will be officially recognized versus just one person i.e. BR.

Can't wait!

I like that idea of offering alternatives ! Does prevent individuals to abuse power concentrated in a limited number of hands and also make them more accountable since players will turn away frow them if they don't deliver. How can you have an efficient system if there is no competition ? USA system has many flaws, but we must give that to them : this is the land of liberty and if you feel you are not treated fairly or that you don't receive the services you think you are entitled to, there is always an alternative you can turn to ! For decades, monopolistic situation has made us pay telephone bills many times what we should have paid for along with not much consideration when we were requiring services.

Not too many Latinos or inner-city types in the various ODP programs. The ODP programs were basically the haunt of rich suburbanites, pay as you go, scientology model. The USSF did themselves a world of good opening up the field.

ussoccer.com: From a soccer standpoint, what are your thoughts on the first match against Haiti?

KT: “We expect that Haiti will have an athletic group of players with some individual creativity because it is a country where the kids grow up playing street soccer. That being said, we’re going to be one-hundred percent focused on what we want to do when we step on the field. If everyone plays to their capability on our side and plays the type of game that we’re attempting to play, hopefully we can take the game to Haiti and they will have to worry most of all about defending our attack.”

I would expect the US17 team will bring the same philosophy they had for their 1st match against Haiti to the Semi-finals against Canada on Thursday.

Has anybody heard anything about the Canadian preparations for the Semi?

You can do a lot of things with a team when you have half of someone's time and the U.S. Soccer machine and staff to back them up. And even if we had those resources and the Americans had ours, the U17 women's game is so undeveloped and the patterns of play so inconsistent that they likely still beat us on gene pool and their massive youth soccer club infrastructure.

Rosenfeld was a professional goalkeeper, is responsible for youth development in almost half of Canada, and long ago created and started up the countries only residential goalkeeper coach training program. I find it interesting people believe they are more qualified than him to assess a starting goalkeeper. I took a biology class in Grade 9 too, and when I go to the neurologist I don't inform him his biomedical limitations and tell him he's an idiot who doesn't deserve to even have a job in medicine, and I don't insult the nurse's parents.

No kidding there's not a lot of coaching you need to do when the 300,000,000 USA plays a 50,000 island, but that wasn't his quote when the Japanese literally took them apart last time.

I disagree about the "only residential goalkeeper training". Shel Brodsgaard has had his own goalkeeper residential program for a number of years now. I regard Shel to be quite a bit more than Mr. Rosenfeld, after all Shel was goalkeeper coach of our adult women and U20 for a number of years also.

There are a number of great goalkeeper coaches in Canada, but I don't think any of them to this day offer a multiple day goalkeeper coach training program. Even the CSA doesn't offer one. I think the closest would be South of the border...

Rosenfeld was a professional goalkeeper, is responsible for youth development in almost half of Canada, and long ago created and started up the countries only residential goalkeeper coach training program. I find it interesting people believe they are more qualified than him to assess a starting goalkeeper. I took a biology class in Grade 9 too, and when I go to the neurologist I don't inform him his biomedical limitations and tell him he's an idiot who doesn't deserve to even have a job in medicine, and I don't insult the nurse's parents.

Sorry Vic, did not mean to get your back up or make you laugh. However I respect your opinion, but disagree. At one time long ago E.P was in charge of our national program, it does not make him right nor an expert and up to modern soccer tatics. At one time J.C was in charge of soccer in all Ontario same rule applys. Just becuase B.R was employed in his position (right under J.C arm pit) and given control does not make any of his programs right or suitable. In fact having taken the course with several other out of towners most took it, but did not agree with it. Hmmm kind of like J.C B license program. J.C teaches and preaches the long ball and big athletes, does that mean you agree? No you say? Why not? He was in charge, he develop the program, so you have to agree with J.C hell with it all.

In closing in my opinion B.R can no more assest a starting keeper then he could choose a starting line up , a tatical formation or a tatical sub......in my opinion. Everything is too B.R and for B.R...

The B License program is not long ball and the big player. It's situational tactics and demonstrating a proficiency to instruct.

My understanding is the Goalkeeper Coaching Course is mostly technical, covers and follows an international resource and leads to developing an annual plan. In what way do you not agree with it?

Too many to name, but allot has to do with the keepers role on the pitch. Although nice words about the B program, the intent you speak of is there, however also is the opinions of the best tatics and player type. Sorry but that is a fact, have you taken either course?

No, I did mine long before either was even created but I know assessors and in no way are they wed to long ball/big player. And even if they were, Jose Sulanty of Chile was here and said he purposely picked a U20 team of big players for the U20 in '07 and they won Bronze and lost one game to Argentina who won gold. No one is calling him an idiot. The Norwegian women did the same thing with direct play in the UEFA's a few months ago and no one is calling them anything but great. Like all tactics they are one's that when employed successfully in the right situation deliver results.

What do you mean by the keepers role on the pitch? What were you taught?

We're pretty far out of the subject. Initial question was : Is Canada's keeper physically and mentally fit to play in our goals for this tournament, especially in the upcoming game vs USA provided she is returning from a major injury and the three goals she has given since the start of the tournament were not the result of defensive errors but mistakes on her part ? One has demonstrated BR is knowledgable about goalkeeping but that doesn't mean he cannot make a judgement error and send someone in the net that is not completley ready for that competition. What inclines me to think so is the fact he brought with the team a D that has not played in the tournament because of an injuree suffered prior the departure for the tournament. If he can bring with the team a D that cannot play, I think he is also able to put a keeper that is not 100% fit in the net. I just hope she'll be ready tonight because otherwise it will be a very long game for her and her teammates. I expect goals differential tonight to be 3 in favor of the USA plus any bad goal that might be given by the Canadian keeper.

Why do you make the assumption the D that has not played cannot play due to an injury?A quick look at her stats will indicate she played 124 minutes in the four nations tourney just prior.Obviously the injury has healed.

Do you honestly believe anyone would bring a starting GK who is not 100% and risk everything? If she has medical clearance,which she obviously has,then she is fit to play pyhsically.If you wish to question the doctors then I hope you have some sound medical training other wise it is all speculation and gossip.

I’ve been reflecting on both teams based on what I have seen in this championship. The USA came at Costa Rica in waves, held back nothing, and was never put into a position with in their defensive 3rd for any concerted period of time where they needed to defend. The Canadian team has been working between the boxes to gain possession then attempting direct plays from the middle or their 3rd to the forwards. When the Canadians are defending their 3rd they have demonstrated a lack of patient, vigorously tackling each ball carrier with a slide tackle, using physical measures to deposes the ball.

It will be very interesting to see how the USA team adapts to the Canadian team. Will the US technical training, team tactics, and confidence over the ball with stand the physical defensive tactics of the Canadians coached by BR? Will it prove to undo the Canadian team with cautions and compounding ejections? Will the Canadians win a psychological advantage on the field because of the physical style and gain more possession and be able to counter?

If Canada feels they can play with the US team, they will come out with a 4:4:2 or 4:3:3 formations. If they are going to sit back and defend, they will move to the line up similar to the one they used against Mexico 3:2:3:2. Personally I feel a line of 4:5:1 or 4:2:3:1 would be a good starting point with their most defensive physical players in the back 6 and their fast moving attacking minded players in the front 4.

Go Canada Go.

If Canada feels they can play with the US team, they will come out with a 4:4:2 or 4:3:3 formations. If they are going to sit back and defend, they will move to the line up similar to the one they used against Mexico 3:2:3:2. Personally I feel a line of 4:5:1 or 4:2:3:1 would be a good starting point with their most defensive physical players in the back 6 and their fast moving attacking minded players in the front 4.

Go Canada Go.

I like the idea of the 4-5-1 like France. We have not generated much offense anyway, so a single player might as well get a break and score a goal or get a free kick in a favorable position

Why do you make the assumption the D that has not played cannot play due to an injury?A quick look at her stats will indicate she played 124 minutes in the four nations tourney just prior.Obviously the injury has healed.

Do you honestly believe anyone would bring a starting GK who is not 100% and risk everything? If she has medical clearance,which she obviously has,then she is fit to play pyhsically.If you wish to question the doctors then I hope you have some sound medical training other wise it is all speculation and gossip.

If the D is healthy and there is no place for her on defense he could at least use her as central forward or midfield like her coach was doing at the Canadian club championship. He put her twice in such a position and in no more than 10 minutes afterwards she had scored critical goals for her team. She might have the best shot of this team from 30 yards out of what I already have seen of her live and of other players per internet at this tournament. We need all the offense that might be available since we have not filled opponent's net yet !

Will be intersting to see how the USA responds to our physical play. But then, they have seen this already I would presume as they played Germany a few times and did well. And I hear they also played our U20's in a camp and beat them.. but I can't confirm that.

Fingers crossed.

Well they've saved their best for last. Putting the US under pressure now and then. Refereeing is not up to the level of play, as usual. Scoreless at the half with the Yanks having a few good chances but generally being defended quite well.

End of 1st half 0-0. Great half for Canada. Price played very well on forward getting two scoring opportunities and putting pressure on USA defense who made mistakes, not having been put under pressure since the start of the tournament.

USA put pressure in the last two minutes but were unable to finish.

Let's hope for the first goal. It might mean an unexpected win for Canada !

Archived