2010 CONCACAF U17 Tournament

Vic

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deceiving performance. You have to push before the 85th minute if you want to have any opportunity of winning. Or maybe, they kept their energy for playing against USA!!! Like previously mentioned: unable to finish and questionable goalkeeping. I just can’t see how they can compete against USA. My prediction : USA by 3 or more.

Wasn't meant to be. You knew it was going to be close, just too bad about the freak goal... it would have been a lot better game from a fans perspective. And in her defense it didn't matter because the team never backed her up. After the restart we went 40 minutes with just two good chances.

The two things that were fairly obvious from watching were that we hadn't played together much and the players weren't very comfortable with each other, and that we're a country caught in the middle between direct and possession-based soccer. If you can master that and play either when the situation fits way you are going to be very successful, but we're still learning and applying the two in a more chaotic fashion.

I think we also need to spend a bit of work on developing winners as opposed to soccer players.

Let's hope miracles do happen.

Wrote that in haste, meant to say 'punt to the opposition box' rather than 'punt to their box' and also meant 'Isn't Ally Courtnall a KEY player on the team. But have to agree with Trillium. Why is this guy still around as he seems to be very much living la vida Pellerud.

We got tested today and had no answer, except for the continuous yelling of the keeper that was getting in my nerves. The color commentators criticized fairly the game of Canada and the coaching decisions. All in all we did qualified out of the group, but against the U.S. our chances are near zero to earn a spot.

I think we also need to spend a bit of work on developing winners as opposed to soccer players.

Let's hope miracles do happen.

Winners are not made, they are born like that. Winning is a state of mind. At most, you may become a winner by getting the habit of winning. If you want winners, you have to find them ! Even in winning teams they are very few. It does not necessarily match with talent.

Let's take professional hockey as an example. If you ask me to identify winners, four names come immediately to my mind, players who were able to win the stanley cup with more than a team and could make a difference at the right moment : Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, Chris Chelios and Claude Lemieux. Lemieux was the least talented of the four but when Stanley cup series and time of winning were coming, he was a real threath for opponents !

A good place to start, if you are to find winners, would be to invite players belonging to the winning team of the clubs national championships ! A cue for you : none were invited to this year U17 training camps !

Winners are not made, they are born like that. Winning is a state of mind. At most, you may become a winner by getting the habit of winning. If you want winners, you have to find them ! Even in winning teams they are very few. It does not necessarily match with talent.

Let's take professional hockey as an example. If you ask me to identify winners, four names come immediately to my mind, players who were able to win the stanley cup with more than a team and could make a difference at the right moment : Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, Chris Chelios and Claude Lemieux. Lemieux was the least talented of the four but when Stanley cup series and time of winning were coming, he was a real threath for opponents !

A good place to start, if you are to find winners, would be to invite players belonging to the winning team of the clubs national championships ! A cue for you : none were invited to this year U17 training camps !

I agree with you navycyr! There is plenty of posturing all around on the short fall of the national system built through the Provincial program. No question there are players who could and should play for the U17 squad but BR would not have them. He elected to take players who all have spent 3 years or more in the Provincial program across Canada (excluding AC) including 11 players he directs personally from the Ontario Soccer Association Program. I believe that alone precludes him from any excuses. This is his team, drawn from the Provincial National Program, and for the most part under his personal direction. The money has been there all along for the past 3 years, just ask the parents who have shelled it out; 4 times a week for training, trips every year into the US or abroad. 600+ hours of technical training “by the best coaches in the Province”; a quote from BR himself! Definitely not the same formula the USA uses however it is not better than Mexico, will it be better than Costa Rica?

As of yesterday what matters is that Canada lost to Mexico 0:1. Contrary to another poster I felt the free kick goal by Mexico, resulting from yet another foul, was brilliant. A masterful strike the Canadian Goalie had no chance on. Ironically, same play occurred later in the game; Canadian foul, same Mexican defender strikes the ball, different outcome – this time the shot is again just under the bar but 6 feet to the right, Goalie saves it. That was a terrific bit of skill by the Mexican and a good save by the Canadian Goalie. I didn’t see any free kick skill to that level executed by a Canadian.

I question the starting formation by BR. Why a 3:2:3:2 when the team has been playing a 4:4:2 and 4:3:3? The team appeared confused and without purpose on the attack! The strikers never got into the game. The 1st half ended with 0 shots on net for the Canadians. Their most effective striker so far and the one who score against Mexico in T&T didn’t get a shot on net and then was the 1st early sub out of the game in the 2nd half. No service through the middle to the strikers and their starting striker #10 turned out to be their mid fielder without any of the skills necessary for that position. If the Coach feels players should be able to play any formation or position, perhaps he should be able to provide the coaching to make this happen. Clearly it was in his judgement that he had.

I give the Canadians credit for their surge in the last 15 minutes. Their attacked evolved back into a 4:3:3 and they went for the net. I felt they demonstrated their fitness and determination. Skill in play or on execution was not on display anywhere. No 1V1 by anyone on the field. Long balls, fitness, and brute force where in evidence everywhere. The training these girls have received through the Provincial National programs in the past 3 years was in clear evidence and out matched the Mexican in these areas.

When Canada meets the USA in the semi’s on Thursday, the Canadian Youth Development system for women will be on display once again. Our team will be compared to the US team. Each player on each team will be evaluated for their skill and contribution to the game. The coaches will be evaluated based on how their team performs, what skills their players posses, and the character they display during the game. Now that Concacaf has the streaming video working well, there just isn’t any place to hide any longer.

Let’s hope the CSA is watching!

USA by 6 goals!

Thruball I couldn't have said it better if I had written it myself. Have one thing to add as the goal that was scored was a beautiful goal however this keeper when healthy makes that save. She doesnt have the springs in her legs as she is not 100 %. The OSA / CSA doctors may say she is however it was evident that she was not. Rosenfeld rolled the dice and has lost. It will be a monumental task to beat this USA squad. It might be an idea to take the team to church and say a few prayers as they are going to need a devine intervention and maybe BR should go to confession and confess his sins and even then am not sure if the man upstairs will have a miracle in store for him. Good luck ladies as the ball is round.

^ Our keeper was not healthy? she looked ok to me, at least her voice was fine. I don't think she could have saved that tremendous shot unless she had been standing right on the far post on top of a stool. As a keeper she had to guard a more likely shot dropping in for a header rather than such a bullet from an unlikely Mexican player. Then on the second of those FK from the same player she almost got caught again but the shot this time went right to her. Had Mexico not scored, a tie would still have given them first place.

Old fart Cuellar was there at the Mexico bench, and excuse me say this, but our BR is no match to Cuellar.

Well very bad news coming out of Ontario people since everyone is talking about the current U7 keeper and selection. I have now heard the same story and facts from 4 different people, so soccer 19 maybe on to something. The current keeper just 9 months ago had a ACL, MCL ad chipped Tib. And against most peoples advice (Including Bridge) BR went with his personnel fave (who seems to have parent connections to the CSA). That is somewhat normal in our system. However the real crazy part is the fact that in Onario many other Keepers since she arrived in the program (at 13) had been deemed not as good therefore not worthy of future development. Just a brief look into last U17 camps and trips one can see the set up (I did once pointed in the right direction) many keepers were not looked at or stayed in the program, but where treated with such unworthyness and either stayed or left all together. So when the time came, even injured or just recovering BR looked back and no one was there. He not only screwed himself by refusing to develop more then 1 person over the years in Ontario, he screwed Canada and many other young ladies. There are other such cases with other positions on the pitch. It seems he makes a call about a player and thats it, he rides those children until they drop. I guess as a coach he feels that when he picks a player that he has develop for years forsaking all others, that even at only 75% health they are better then those who have not been coached by him. I am not trying to pick on the players at it is not thier fault. But I call out BR and he should not be involved in any form of development at any level, provincial or national for this side of the planet. Where is the concern about the players health? I mean we all should know by now that 9 months is not enough time to fully recover, pro's maybe able to do it with day in and day out full time treatment, but a child of 17? Every web site and medical doc I look at says 9 months to a year before returning to playing, and more if it is at a high level. I mean how many games would have this keeper played over the last 9 months? And then get thrown in like this? Did the parents want it that bad?

Just makes no sense with all the talent we have, when those like BR are throwing them away as he see fit. Bad, just bad all around. Change can not come soon enough.

They have now posted the game highlights on the Concacaf site and I have looked carefully at the replay over and over and it appears to me the goal, even if it was a hell of a blast from the mexican player, is also the result of bad positioning from the Canadian keeper. If you look at the first time they show the goal (not the replays) and use the stop button, you will notice the keeper is closer to the near post while the shot was aimed at the far post. You will see the keeper taking some steps before jumping to try to reach the ball. I also looked at the jump and I cannot tell that the keeper could have done any better. It is not apparent that she might be injured. However, would she have stood in the middle of her goal, I think she would have been able to make that save. But give credit to the mexican player who has seen the opportunity and made a shot impossible to stop given the place the keeper was at the start of the action. I have been keeper both in hockey and soccer, and the most important thing is the place where you stand and the anticipation of what's going to happen. If you look at the second shot of the same player and that she stopped coming from a similar spot, you will notice she stands in the middle of the goal. She should not be blamed for the fact we will have to play USA in the semis because we have not been able to score a goal and a 0-0 tie would have sent us playing against USA anyway. At least, she has learned from her mistake by not repeating it and I am sure, it will be difficult to score in the future against her in such a situation.

They have now posted the game highlights on the Concacaf site and I have looked carefully at the replay over and over and it appears to me the goal, even if it was a hell of a blast from the mexican player, is also the result of bad positioning from the Canadian keeper. If you look at the first time they show the goal (not the replays) and use the stop button, you will notice the keeper is closer to the near post while the shot was aimed at the far post. You will see the keeper taking some steps before jumping to try to reach the ball. I also looked at the jump and I cannot tell that the keeper could have done any better. It is not apparent that she might be injured. However, would she have stood in the middle of her goal, I think she would have been able to make that save. But give credit to the mexican player who has seen the opportunity and made a shot impossible to stop given the place the keeper was at the start of the action. I have been keeper both in hockey and soccer, and the most important thing is the place where you stand and the anticipation of what's going to happen. If you look at the second shot of the same player and that she stopped coming from a similar spot, you will notice she stands in the middle of the goal. She should not be blamed for the fact we will have to play USA in the semis because we have not been able to score a goal and a 0-0 tie would have sent us playing against USA anyway. At least, she has learned from her mistake by not repeating it and I am sure, it will be difficult to score in the future against her in such a situation.

All very good points, I have not seen the Keeper before, however watching all 3 goal (being a past keeper myself) I was suspect of a possibility of playing hurt. She seemed reluctent to challenge game one and turned away from contact. A couple of times seemed off balanced. The reason I asked some Ontario people from other web sites and friends. Imagine my suprize and anger hearing the same story being told. My statemet is how many games and practise sessions she could have had when just 9 months ago had that kind of injury. Your view of the goal is a classic example of not being ready for international play. BR actions as a coach was not fair to the keeper, not fair to the team and not fair to the country. She maybe a very good keeper, however it did not show in this event. I fear for her against the USA. The parents should look at themselfs and give thier collective heads a shake.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_U17WWC/national.asp?Press_ID=3855

Funny, when you post somthing, that people start to contact you. Above is a link given to me it reads that Bridge was aware of the keepers injury (so that report was true) However as BR was assistant coach at the time and pushing his "Next Kara Lang" in goal (appearntly he spends alot of time telling people and parents he found and develop Kara ) Bridge was not sold on her health and well being (good for you Bridge) also her readyness mentaly for international play after a major injuy and operation (rebuilt Knee) Bridge was looking at a couple of keepers from the East and West side of Canada. Well BR gets the team and puts an end to that and back to his Ontario picks. My only point in all this, besides health and well being of such a young player but also how can we always call for the head coaches head when they have no control over what coaches like BR are doing within a province? How many players are left out before they reach the NTC level that the head coach is going to choose from.

Change is what we need....not much gap left for us to build on. Thats all I have on this topic.

There are some players that BR has not put to the field. Last game his starting right defender was not present. He lost his starting left defender to ACL. There is a D player who played at the Canada Games who has not hit the field yet (I hear she was injured before the team left for T&T). Apparently there is at least one player who is sick and not on the bench (face book report). Never the less, this is the game to win to give the team the best chance to advance in the semis. It should be quite the contest!

If we are to get concerned by physical condition of players, which might be pertinent given our keeper might not be top shape, I have this to say about the D who played at the Canada Games. She was also present at the Canadian Clubs championship last October where she did well helping her team to get to the semis by scoring a critical goal and again the winning goal to go to the final, each time after being moved from defense to forward. We could see her walking around with ice bags on both of her knees. I can't say if it was a result of her bad knees but she was not quick enough against the speed of opponent forwards and didn't play the second half of the final. I strongly suspect she might not be in a sufficiently good condition to play.

Questions that have to be answered: Why have we brought girls whose physical condition or preparation is questionable? Why would we bring a girl who would prefer to play for the USA if they offer her the opportunity to do so? If she is so good no Canadian resident girl could play her role within the team, how come she played only 24 minutes in the critical Mexico game? Should she be on the field for the whole game against the USA to offer her the opportunity to show the USA staff they have made a mistake disregarding her?

Is Canada the only f*ing country left in the world where amateurs run the provincial and national associations???

Does anyone know if any other heads of player development from the other provincial associations across the country are also in charge of their respective NTC's as well.

Mr Page is from out east is he not , what is his position out east ? anybody know rather than me relying on misses goggle ... lol

cheers

Yikes. The more I hear about this character, he needs to be taken out behind the barn.
Are you saying he should be spanked ?

Seriously Morace has a lot to answer for allowing the CSA Pooh bahs .. to apoint Bryan Rosenfeld to coach a national side.. he has far far to much baggage in how he treats players to be allowed to be in contact with them, much like Pelerud his person managment skills are lacking, let alone his understanding of game tactics. Ask BR s players just what they understand about playing the game ..what system how to counteer certain formations.. when you get the blank stares you might figure out he does not know how to coach the modern game .. he is a failed acolyte of Jimmy One Foot Canovan.... sad he has be allowed to be kept on by the OSA.

Interësting quote from US Head Coach Tambi:

".....

On the play of the U.S. team that scored 32 goals in three group games: “We learned a lot in the last cycle (the 2007-2008 U-17 WNT), what worked well and what didn’t work so well at the U-17 level, so this group has gotten the benefit of that prior experience. We set the standard very high for this group and we want them to take women’s soccer in the U-17 age group to a new and unique level. We’ve given this group more homework to do and I think we are starting to reap the benefits of that. That’s been a combination of extra technical training, watching the highest level of the men’s matches and analyzing that style of play, doing visualization and trying to come together as a family. So when you combine all those things, I think the kids are very confident in themselves and when the game does start, there’s not a whole lot of coaching that needs to be done, which is great. You kind of sit back and watch them take the game over. They take care of business on their own without us and that’s a lot of fun to watch......

Interësting quote from US Head Coach Tambi:

".....

On the play of the U.S. team that scored 32 goals in three group games: “We learned a lot in the last cycle (the 2007-2008 U-17 WNT), what worked well and what didn’t work so well at the U-17 level, so this group has gotten the benefit of that prior experience. We set the standard very high for this group and we want them to take women’s soccer in the U-17 age group to a new and unique level. We’ve given this group more homework to do and I think we are starting to reap the benefits of that. That’s been a combination of extra technical training, watching the highest level of the men’s matches and analyzing that style of play, doing visualization and trying to come together as a family. So when you combine all those things, I think the kids are very confident in themselves and when the game does start, there’s not a whole lot of coaching that needs to be done, which is great. You kind of sit back and watch them take the game over. They take care of business on their own without us and that’s a lot of fun to watch......

Great quote soccer9. I like sport for exactely that. It reproduces what is happening in our organizations and businesses but results come faster and are more easily identifiable. I will use that quote in my daily work which is unfortunately not related to soccer but managing people. It is exactely what I'm trying to do : give people under my supervision all they need to perform, remove roadblocks that may interfere with their work and let them go afterwards with minimal intervention form my part. We may say USA have lot more money than we do, but had they not the right people at the head, it would be worthless.

To see the complete article : http://www.shupirates.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12600&ATCLID=204908867

^^^^ As follow-up, further quotes from a Q&A from ussoccer.com, with US U17 Coach Tambi:

".... We asked the girls to do technical repetitive training in between camps and also watch the highest of level of men’s professional soccer..We’ve asked them to provide a written analysis about the players at that level who are playing in their positions and it has helped them become better students of the game. We have also implemented visualization as a tool for improvement. Our players now have a much clearer picture of the potential future of the women’s game in the U.S. ...."

Now that is getitng serious about coaching/creating a world class youth national team...! Simply impressive.

Has anyone seen a Canadian interview after any game on Concacaf TV. I thought at least one player per team is required to give an interview. I know that when in New Zealand the players where interviewed , so why not at Concacaf ? I have seen other squads being interviewed. Anyone in the know ?

Cheers 19

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-WNT/2010/03/Post-Match-Quotes-US-10-Costa-Rica-0.aspx

You can do a lot of things with a team when you have half of someone's time and the U.S. Soccer machine and staff to back them up. And even if we had those resources and the Americans had ours, the U17 women's game is so undeveloped and the patterns of play so inconsistent that they likely still beat us on gene pool and their massive youth soccer club infrastructure.

Rosenfeld was a professional goalkeeper, is responsible for youth development in almost half of Canada, and long ago created and started up the countries only residential goalkeeper coach training program. I find it interesting people believe they are more qualified than him to assess a starting goalkeeper. I took a biology class in Grade 9 too, and when I go to the neurologist I don't inform him his biomedical limitations and tell him he's an idiot who doesn't deserve to even have a job in medicine, and I don't insult the nurse's parents.

No kidding there's not a lot of coaching you need to do when the 300,000,000 USA plays a 50,000 island, but that wasn't his quote when the Japanese literally took them apart last time.

Archived