2010 CONCACAF U17 Tournament

Vic

I don't like that they are playing so dirty, never seen a Canadian team acting like this. They are lucky they are not playing against a team like Uruguay who dishes out as much as they receive and then some.

I completely agree with you. They should focus their attention on scoring goals rather than playing dirty. I hope they calm down for the next game. Nothing to be proud about this one !!!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players are feeding off the emotions of the head coach BR. Even when he is quiet the players can feel the tension as it is the cuture that has been set along time ago. If they play like they did today they will get shredded by the Mexicans as they are calm and composed always. I would not be as worried about finishing as the players are capable of putting the biscuit in the basket (relax and put your heads down and power over the ball and dont worry about where it is going) as I would be about the number of easy goals that have been going in. Between the four nations and Concacaf there has to be a cause for concern. JMHO.

It was great timing for putting in the stinker. Doing it in the next two games would be sayonara. Let's hope it resonated.

From what I've seen, which arguably isn't much, Canada and Mexico look very, very close. Cuellar is no inexperienced fool and it could get blown open early either way but you get the feeling it will be defensive posturing and back and forth and end-to-end and come down to finishing and goalkeeping. Haven't seen much of Santiago the Mexican keeper, but she will be the key figure in the game for us. Other than that you would think transition and fitness.

Haven't seen much of Costa Rica or the States, so no idea what lies beyond the first gate...

From the 2 Canada matches, the ball possession is better than other editions of Cdn women's teams - though we're talking a low hurdle to overcome. I like the midfield and I like there are a mix of players with a variety of skillsets rather just being one dimensional. But I'm worried about the finishing as lots of easy goals missed and a quite a bit of taking a shot at net rather than passing to wide open player for a easy tap in; and I'm worried about goalkeeping - 2 basic mistakes in 2 matches leading to 2 goals.

Watching the USA vs C.R. game.... 3-0 for USA after 20 min after a delay for some lighting problems with the stadium (I believe).

The USA is all over C.R. It is scary... these gals are really good.. wouf!

C.R just changed one of their D's and she was not injured so that gives an idea of the game..

5-0 USA half time. Those girls are really good ! Untouchable in this Concacaf tournament. However, it is difficult to know how good they really are because Costa Rica has been a deception for me in the last two games. I can't see either Mexico and Canada loosing against Costa Rica as weel as I can't see them winning against USA. Tomorrow's game between Canada and Mexico will be for a siver medal and a participation to the world Cup. This is really the GAME of the tournament, not to be missed!

5-0 USA half time. Those girls are really good ! Untouchable in this Concacaf tournament. However, it is difficult to know how good they really are because Costa Rica has been a deception for me in the last two games. I can't see either Mexico and Canada loosing against Costa Rica as weel as I can't see them winning against USA. Tomorrow's game between Canada and Mexico will be for a siver medal and a participation to the world Cup. This is really the GAME of the tournament, not to be missed!

Yes I would have to agree.!

BTW... 9-0 now after approx. 77 min

USA took the pedal off the medal in the 2nd half as it easily could've been 15 nil if they kept it full throttle. They were moving the ball around at will and even passed it when they should've been shooting it however still managed to score. A clear and concise message was sent to the loser of Canada vs Mexico game. They are ready to move on to the WC finals in September.

USA took the pedal off the medal in the 2nd half as it easily could've been 15 nil if they kept it full throttle. They were moving the ball around at will and even passed it when they should've been shooting it however still managed to score. A clear and concise message was sent to the loser of Canada vs Mexico game. They are ready to move on to the WC finals in September.

What a great team. From tip to toe this team can play futbol. 32 Goals for 0 against. Probably a new record of some kind. The players are loaded with individual skill and have excellent technique. At 17 these girls are reflecting the quality of the US development system. Compared to Canada where 11 of the players on this roster have been with BR for the past 3 years, there just isn't any comparison in defending, tactical play, execution, finishing, etc. Even in the category of "fouls", the USA is ahead. They manage to use their anticipation and quickness to stop attakers, where Canada is always on their behinds or a step behind, taking legs out or grabbing shirts; embarrassing really.

I can see why Morace is there! She is starting early to get a look at this USA team for when they come around in 2 years for the U20 Qualifications. It's clear that this Canadian team doesn't match up at this age. She has a lot of work ahead of her between now and then identifying Canadian players who will be able to take on this USA team in 2 years?

What a great team. From tip to toe this team can play futbol. 32 Goals for 0 against. Probably a new record of some kind. The players are loaded with individual skill and have excellent technique. At 17 these girls are reflecting the quality of the US development system. Compared to Canada where 11 of the players on this roster have been with BR for the past 3 years, there just isn't any comparison in defending, tactical play, execution, finishing, etc. Even in the category of "fouls", the USA is ahead. They manage to use their anticipation and quickness to stop attakers, where Canada is always on their behinds or a step behind, taking legs out or grabbing shirts; embarrassing really.

I can see why Morace is there! She is starting early to get a look at this USA team for when they come around in 2 years for the U20 Qualifications. It's clear that this Canadian team doesn't match up at this age. She has a lot of work ahead of her between now and then identifying Canadian players who will be able to take on this USA team in 2 years?

Yes Morace has lot of work ahead! Women's soccer is evolving rapidly and important changes need to be made if we want to stop the decline we are engaged in. It all starts with player’s selection. I went on the FIFA site to see for a translation of the word we use in French for a soccer coach which is "sélectionneur" which means the one who does the selection to figure out you don't have the equivalent in the English language. That's unfortunate because I like that expression because it stresses that the most important task of a soccer coach is to select the appropriate players for the system he intends to put in place, which might not be the most gifted ones, the tallest ones, the fastest ones, the strongest ones but those who will perform the best according to the coach expectations and will be able to implement the tactical plan the better. Selection criteria, I think, have to be reviewed. Another thing that is bugging me is that I can't see how you can determine who will be the best U20 players at 14 years old. I can't speak for other provinces, but here in Quebec, if you are not selected at 14, you have practically no chance to make it to the NTC and National Teams. Some players do develop later than others and I think it is a mistake to disregard those not identified at 14. Doesn’t mean either that you have not done a good job with the ones you have preselected at an early age since some attain their full potential earlier than others. Each person has its own development speed and we must cope with it.

However it must be said U17 girls went to that tournament under adverse conditions. Change of coach only two months prior to competition, on the eve of the second of only two training camps and attend a tournament just two weeks before versus the very same people you will compete against! To say the least, we cannot say those were favorable circumstances. If they beat Mexico tonight, it will be because they will have shown a lot of character and they will have all my admiration for that. But such a victory, if it happens, must not divert our attention of the fact we are going downward or that we are not moving ahead at the same pace of others which, in the end, has the same effect.

Navycyr, I think the additional problem in Quebec is that even if you do get selected at U14 for the Provincial team, when you are then asked to join CNHP at U15, if you decide not to move to the "Montreal area" to attend NTC/CNHP daily sessions in the pm... you are basically off the Quebec Team also!!

That has been adjusted somewhat now for exceptions for some of the Quebec City girls, for example, as the Federation realized this may be too much to ask for from 15 year olds, but as you know that did not help the Beauport striker when she was dropped a few years back... and she clearly belongs on this U17 team, together with 1 or 2 more from Quebec :-) :-) But I digress...!

On player selection, so true, and it is even more important for Canada than, let's say, the USA, who has a much bigger player pool and therefore is less affected by making some mistakes or taking dumb decisions as they could afford to lose a few good players.... They probably can at any point make 2 U17 (or U20) squads and still be competitive with both.

In closing, let's not compare to the USA for now, as we know we are behind them and not player wise necessarily but more from a funding perspective. We need to get to the Final of this tournament and this is definitely doable.

Thru ball great post above my friend !! Selecting the right coach is even more critical than selecting the right players. Yes there was some adveristy late in the process however we all know that Morace and BR do not see eye to eye for many many many reasons. BR reeived the posting because the CSA is not having to pay BR a head coaching salary as he in doing this for gratus. Expenses covered only. You can rest assured there was some kind of a deal on the table in the back room should he take the team to the WC and be successful. Politicing at it's best. We all know Morace wanted her own appointed coach in the postion however she is still fighting the old boys club politics within the CSA and unfortunantely lost this round.The bigger question is why did the CSA not listen to Morace as am sure she would've voiced her propsed coach to the CSA cronies.Is there something going on in the CSA that we are not aware of pertaining to Morace and her peeps.. a U20 lose , just barely winning in Cypress , a BR feud and ho many other NTC feuds are going on out there. Anyone shed any light to this saga?

The sky is falling!! Where was the absolute BEST USA U20 player developed????

It's all about (lack of) coaching and player selection. Morace will hopefully turn these things around.

Thru ball great post above my friend !! Selecting the right coach is even more critical than selecting the right players. Yes there was some adveristy late in the process however we all know that Morace and BR do not see eye to eye for many many many reasons. BR reeived the posting because the CSA is not having to pay BR a head coaching salary as he in doing this for gratus. Expenses covered only. You can rest assured there was some kind of a deal on the table in the back room should he take the team to the WC and be successful. Politicing at it's best. We all know Morace wanted her own appointed coach in the postion however she is still fighting the old boys club politics within the CSA and unfortunantely lost this round.The bigger question is why did the CSA not listen to Morace as am sure she would've voiced her propsed coach to the CSA cronies.Is there something going on in the CSA that we are not aware of pertaining to Morace and her peeps.. a U20 lose , just barely winning in Cypress , a BR feud and ho many other NTC feuds are going on out there. Anyone shed any light to this saga?

Can't help you there 19. I'm sure there is plenty of politics going on. That is the normal state of affair at the CSA; unfortunately!

I'll go out on the limb here and say Mexico will be more than a test for our Canadian girls tonight. It's interesting how they always win, never dominate like the USA has been doing, but always win. They have showed excellent team form and execution. As one poster said earlier, they are poised when over the ball individually and as a team. I think the Canadian players will be very aggressive tonight versus relaxed and this may present some problems on top of the ones they are already experiencing i.e. finishing (5 yellows so far). Canada needs to be able to finish on their crosses. Without that ability, going down the middle is just too limiting for this Mexico defense. Also, the pressure style Canada likes to play will be very hard to maintain to any advantage at this stage of the tournament. If Mexico gets a hold of the ball for any length of possession, this could affect the overall team fitness and compound finishing problem (can't play for a tie).

Can't help you there 19. I'm sure there is plenty of politics going on. That is the normal state of affair at the CSA; unfortunately!

I'll go out on the limb here and say Mexico will be more than a test for our Canadian girls tonight!

It's interesting how Mexico always wins, never dominate like the USA has been doing, but always wins. They have showed excellent team form and execution. As one poster said earlier, the players are poised when over the ball, individually and as a team. I think the Canadian players will be very aggressive tonight versus relaxed and this may present some problems on top of the ones they are already experiencing i.e. finishing (5 yellows so far). Canada needs to be able to finish on their crosses. Without that ability, going down the middle is just too limiting for this Mexico defence. Also, the pressure style Canada likes to play will be very hard to maintain to any advantage at this stage of the tournament. If Mexico gets a hold of the ball for any length of possession, this could affect the overall team fitness and compound the finishing problem (can't play for a tie).

There are some players that BR has not put to the field. Last game his starting right defender was not present. He lost his starting left defender to ACL. There is a D player who played at the Canada Games who has not hit the field yet (I hear she was injured before the team left for T&T). Apparently there is at least one player who is sick and not on the bench (face book report). Never the less, this is the game to win to give the team the best chance to advance in the semis. It should be quite the contest!

A business associate just back from a week in Costa Rica today told me the temperature at the hotel pool was 41c. Sounds hotter than the report of “breeze and moderate” an earlier poster mentioned!

Go Canada Go!

Ed we all know that the best U 20 players were not there in Guatemala. Unfortunately Morace rolled the dice taking younger and more inexpereinced players ( they are very good players in there own rights) however do not have the seasoning to handle the pressure of the big game. This was clearly evident as the tournament rolled on. Politics had a hug part in player selection and it stemmed from the feud between CM & BR. I dont care what anyone says as 91's were invited to the orginal camps in late summer and fall however very few of BR's 91 U17 squad were there in the end. Trust me even if 50 % of the previous U17 squad was apart of the U20 team in Guatemala the team would be moving on to the WC instead of CRica. I hope the young ladies can pull it off tonight however Mexico will be ready and all they need is a tie becuase of goal differntial and whoemever wins tonight might as well pack their suitcases as the USA still has another gear to go. Good luck ladies.

The Americans haven't played an organized team yet.

They (USA) probably can at any point make 2 U17 (or U20) squads and still be competitive with both.

In all seriousness the actual number is probably more like 10, if not 15 or 20. Funny what 300 million people, a bag of money and a conducive climate can do for you.

The real exclamation point is how good our U20 program was (prior to this year) in coming within minutes of three-peating them in CONCACAF.

We all know Morace wanted her own appointed coach in the postion.

Neither of whom have ever coached a provincial team let alone a national team. Is that the kind of merit-based system we should have for appointing national team coaches? Isn't that the kind of system people profess to want to get away from?

If you search the site you'll see the rumours of her preference.

0-1 on a dodgy long fee kick around 43'. Heartbreaker. Keeper had weak positioning on an earlier long ball and had it been on net it would be 2. They didn't show the replay but I thought the Mexican girl cheated up on the position of the kick. The ref warned the Canadian for encroaching but I think she was in the right spot or close to it.

The ref seems below the level of the game, she missed a lot of calls and is whistle-happy on a lot of soft stuff.

The Mexicans are going to really crowd the back now and we need someone to step up and win the game, because they're not going to give it to us. We need to raise our play and get at least a half-dozen good opportunities.

Our left back struggled out of the gate but has been getting into things.

Our target striker needs to stay high. There's a lot of ping-pong in the game and we're hitting balls into their central back line and quite often as the half wore on there was no one there to challenge for them.

Be interesting to see our formation and approach to things now.

Not much composure once they fell behind. Unmarked, with the ball, midfielders punt to their box instead of looking for a shorter better % pass. No one-on-one challenges. Poor coaching. Isn't Ally Courtnall one of the players on the team? Mid 2nd half sub??

Not much composure once they fell behind. Unmarked, with the ball, midfielders punt to their box instead of looking for a shorter better % pass. No one-on-one challenges. Poor coaching. Isn't Ally Courtnall one of the players on the team? Mid 2nd half sub??

Horribly prepared they have no pattern of play its just whack ball.... Rosenfeld should never coach another national side ever... let alone a provincial one.

Archived