CONCACAF 2011 Gold Cup

Jeremy

Sorry if this is being discussed somewhere else, but why hasn't any host nation been announced for the 2011 Gold Cup? We're already in 2010, so what's taking so long? Is it a "tradition" in GC history that the host is selected as late as this?

It doesn't make the whole thing look very serious if you ask me, since the World Cups hosts are announced waaayy before the actual event (I know, I know, it's the World Cup, but still)...

Please enlighten me.

Unlike the other Confederations , there is no bidding process (just like there is no real draw for the eventual groups). It is decided in the boardrooms of the Confedertion HQ in NYC and/or of the the Chairmman in T&T. Often the decision as to where and when the matches are to be held are only made 4 or 5 months before the event, without public discussion or formal process, like a short-term marketing decision for a cusumer product by a business corporation. And, because the money is in Mexico and the US, that is where they eventually hold the matches. This is the sad tradition, Jeremy.

Hopefully, Canada will be invited to Argentina for the Copa America in 2011, a real Confederation championship.

What's the issue? Most years they don't announce it until a few months before the tournament. Why would we expect it to be announced 18-months ahead of time. Only Canada, USA, or Mexico really have any ability to host it, and Mexico and Canada have never shown any interest.

A couple of times the Mexican's group games have been played in Mexico City with some play-off games, but apart from that it's always been in the USA.

You know, just as a thought, they could pretty much carve up the group stage of the tourney without creating any worse of a bias than already exists.

USA would always have one group (hosting the USMNT by default of course), and let them have most of the playoffs but also let Canada, Mexico, Central America & the West Indies all have a shot at one of the two remaining groups. Wait until after qualifying and the group draw to see who might want to host and take it from there.

Think it would be pretty cool having Group A playing in Canada (Toronto/Montreal say), Group B in the USA (New York/Chicago), and Group C playing out of Havana, Cuba. Just as an example. A bit fairer for all concerned to as it could remove some of the advantages that the USA & Mexico especially enjoy with the tourney always being on US soil. And if there are no takers for the available remaining groups (Doubt the CSA would want to host a group if Canada were drawn into the USA's group and unavailable to play in Canada as a consequence) you could always fall back onto the current "Gold Cup USA xxxx" format we've become accustomed to.

At only six matches a group you'd create something of a scarcity of matches for the host cities, not a bad thing, not to mention the fact with two of the three groups being moved around your location may not get another chance to host a group for years and years.

And for Gold Cup matches outside the US if you're worried about moving tickets (who wants to see Canada vs Haiti in San Salvadore?) do the double-header thing to help move tickets, they've already been doing that for years now anyway. Knock yourself out. The "home" side will always be playing in one of the matches if you use the double header scheme so the marketing benefit in some circumstances is quite odvious.

Maybe a bit of a logistical nightmare, especially for TV, but nothing so impossible as not to be worth a go. And I think a reasonable made-in-CONCACAF solution to address in part one of the Gold Cup's creditability issues while also recognizing economic realities.

Only Canada, USA, or Mexico really have any ability to host it, and Mexico and Canada have never shown any interest.

The caribbean and central america could each host it if they made a multi assosciation bid (it didn't sell so well but the windies show the caribbean could work together quite easily for a decent sized tourney and I have little doubt in my mind that central america could host a successful world cup if they worked together, security might be an issue though so maybe just a few central american countries would bid together instead of all of them.)

You know, just as a thought, they could pretty much carve up the group stage of the tourney without creating any worse of a bias than already exists.

This is a great idea. CONCACAF have given the tournament to the USSF in perpetuity on the basis that no other country could stage it. Having seperate groups hosted by different countries in the region would actually be an inprovement for the teams logistically. Last time they have teams criss-crossing the continent for group games. This way they could play the group games within the same time zone at least. A country from each sub-region could host one group (allowing for an expansion to 16 teams) and then one quarterfinal match each. The semi-finals and final can then be hosted by the USSF as usual. They need to do something to spice up this tournament anyway.

I'm not aware any other country, or group of countries, has shown much interest in hosting. It's not like there is a line-up at the door.

you didn't say anything about interest you said "Only Canada, USA, or Mexico really have any ability to host it, and Mexico and Canada have never shown any interest"

Not sure that that is fair portrayal. Like someone else said, nobody is line up at the door to host it. And I cant see how you can make the event feasible if its played anywhere else. The US is the only place where you can get somebody to come out to see sides play that aren't the host cost country or the top hearlded sides in the regions. Also, who else has the facilities.

like I said earlier, the windies didn't sell but they showed they could put on a show across the caribbean, and they all have the facilities combined. And if multiple participating nations were hosts then that'd help sales abit (also for almost everybody but Canada, half of Mexico and the US it's probably cheaper to go across the caribbean then go to the states). That said I agree (just like I mentioned the first time, (but apparently taking my volunteered counter points as your own is as good as coming up with ideas, I'm teasing but I do hate when I put in the counter point just to have people point it again like I'm the stupid one) that it probably wouldn't sell enough to bother now. But the simple fact is that they could host it, maybe they shouldn't but all I've been saying is they have just as much right to it if they want to take the chance on their dime as we do. They have the facilities (think, most of the bigger countries in the region have 1 decent national stadium, and/or 1 decent club with decent training facilities, some have acouple, stretch 3 of the better ones together for a bid and BAM, you can, you just might fail or not get passed CONCACAF.

• 2 months later...

maaan, Japan? I thought they only ever invited teams from north america but on wikipedia it said Japan was invited in 1999 as the one exception. Pride aside, they probably should have asked Honduras (I'd say there better then us AND japan, and closer then us and japan), but holy lucky japan, Im literally jealous.

Why Japan over the US?
Maybe because the last time, the US waffled over whether or not they would go and then sent a B team.

Canada is never going to be invited to the Copa America again. CONMEBOL stopped automatically inviting the Gold Cup champs and won't go back to it because there is more money in cherry-picking opponents.

Archived