Jan 31st 2010 Canada - Jamaica game thread (R)

loyola

sounded like Massih Wassey had quite a bit of time on the ball, he may be one to watch for

Yes he may have had a good game as well though I wasn't sure whether to list him because the announcers obviously liked his name and may have called it more often for that reason whether or not he was actually doing much with the ball. Hopefully we will get some video so we can have a clearer picture of who performed well and who did not.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes he may have had a good game as well though I wasn't sure whether to list him because the announcers obviously liked his name and may have called it more often for that reason whether or not he was actually doing much with the ball. Hopefully we will get some video so we can have a clearer picture of who performed well and who did not.

He must have impressed in camp to get a debut start

I think a few of you are over-reacting just a tad regarding the result and the string of losses. Yes we should have performed better against the dirty Hondurans at the GC, and we should have had better showings from the European camp, but not scoring today doesn't seem to justify the mini panic session a few of you are having. If this had been a full FIFA friendly, or at home, getting miffed about no goals would hold more water. As it was an experimental friendly, we should be happy that the few players got their first caps and not really look any further into the result.

Except I don't really see Jazic being much more than injury cover in our next WCQ. If he were a few years younger and playing at his peak form it would be more of a positive but he seems to be slowing down and near the end of his career. I have no problem with him being given the captaincy for this game but like I said I don't see him as a key member of the team come next WCQ.

I agree, but the only thing that keeps him marginally on my radar is he's been underrated and on the verge of being shot for years, he might just be aging wonderfully, but he is getting pretty old, I fully agree he's probably not gonna be much more then injury cover, strong cover hopefully for a bit.

I suppose we'll have to wait until may to see the european based players alongside the north american based players for once.

Have to hope there's at least a little MNT activity between now and then. Maybe another euro friendly? Are there any FIFA dates between now and then?

I agree, but the only thing that keeps him marginally on my radar is he's been underrated and on the verge of being shot for years, he might just be aging wonderfully, but he is getting pretty old, I fully agree he's probably not gonna be much more then injury cover, strong cover hopefully for a bit.

I thought he had a strong GC 07, providing good attacking support from LB, and that was great to see, but now he was eclipsed by a better all-around and younger player in Klukowski, with an even younger De Jong in the wings. I never doubted the quality of crossing service he provided with that left peg of his.

I have to agree that not getting anywhere near scoring a goal in three games is very disconcerting (that is no including the fixed penalties in Macedonia). But it isn't all bad the big test will be how we do in the friendly March 3 (I assume we will have one since the CSA promised one every FIFA date). For the first time we should have a full squad with MLS + European based players. If we can't put together a result or at least a goal that is when we can start to get a little worried and start reconsidering our options for 2012.

I have to agree that not getting anywhere near scoring a goal in three games is very disconcerting (that is no including the fixed penalties in Macedonia). But it isn't all bad the big test will be how we do in the friendly March 3 (I assume we will have one since the CSA promised one every FIFA date). For the first time we should have a full squad with MLS + European based players. If we can't put together a result or at least a goal that is when we can start to get a little worried and start reconsidering our options for 2012.

We really need that March 3rd date.. you don't want players to go too long without being part of the NT I think that is a problem having to start at chapter one all over again when you don't play for a while. Hopefully thats not a problem anymore

If it isn't already known... the fifa rules for cap tieing plays changed awhile ago and you can no longer cap tie a player through an international friendly, the only way to cap tie players in Concacaf is through world cup qualifiers and Gold Cup matches.

If it isn't already known... the fifa rules for cap tieing plays changed awhile ago and you can no longer cap tie a player through an international friendly, the only way to cap tie players in Concacaf is through world cup qualifiers and Gold Cup matches.

Ya but no teams are coming to take these guys they are Canadian players no real threats there, I think people are just excited they got some experience

Interesting that Sidra almost played his second full game at right back for us. Wonder if it says anything about Nana that he was only a late sub. Rivas came a long way to only get a few minutes - maybe not that impressive in camp?

Damn, I wish I could have seen this one, bleh result or not.

Interesting that Sidra almost played his second full game at right back for us. Wonder if it says anything about Nana that he was only a late sub. Rivas came a long way to only get a few minutes - maybe not that impressive in camp?

Damn, I wish I could have seen this one, bleh result or not.

I think they were just rewarding Sidra for his Cyprus performance, can't knock a guy out of a starting spot after a good game and result. And it was Nana's first cap, usually players don't get a lot of time anyways we had a pretty deep back line this camp

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1804

“I though Ante Jazic and Dejan Jakovic were exceptional tonight, they got through a lot of work, said Hart. I was also very impressed with Ali Gerba’s second half, he ran, he created gaps, he got behind the defence, and he pressured the defence, those things please me a lot.”

“Some of our young players did exceptionally well, Stephen Ademolu and Massih Wassey in particular stood out,’ said Hart. “I thought David Monsalve read the game quite well, he has excellent feet, and he came up with a save that kept us in the game, all credit to him, the young man did well.”

Strange that Cann came on to replace Ribeiro instead of midfielder Carlos Rivas.

I think they were just rewarding Sidra for his Cyprus performance, can't knock a guy out of a starting spot after a good game and result. And it was Nana's first cap, usually players don't get a lot of time anyways we had a pretty deep back line this camp

I would have liked to have seen Nana get a full half, personally.

And regarding Sidra, I wonder if he could be considered a front-runner now to replace Stalteri at RB? I still like the idea of Ledgerwood there, but Sidra appears to be doing well in reality, while I'm only theorizing about Nic, so that has to count for something.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1804

“I though Ante Jazic and Dejan Jakovic were exceptional tonight, they got through a lot of work, said Hart. I was also very impressed with Ali Gerba’s second half, he ran, he created gaps, he got behind the defence, and he pressured the defence, those things please me a lot.”

“Some of our young players did exceptionally well, Stephen Ademolu and Massih Wassey in particular stood out,’ said Hart. “I thought David Monsalve read the game quite well, he has excellent feet, and he came up with a save that kept us in the game, all credit to him, the young man did well.”

Strange that Cann came on to replace Ribeiro instead of midfielder Carlos Rivas.

Maybe Hart doesn't think Rivas isn't any good: fair enough, at least he's had a look at him.

At the last GC Cann's lone appearence was as a quasi-dmid in front of the back four, but to me at that time he seemed to be out of his element. Perhaps Hart felt he was the best option to shore up the central mid from a defensive standpoint, who knows.

Like you, I'd rather see the match with my own eyes instead of relying on CSA tweets/match reports or Jamaican play by play guys.

I would have liked to have seen Nana get a full half, personally.

And regarding Sidra, I wonder if he could be considered a front-runner now to replace Stalteri at RB? I still like the idea of Ledgerwood there, but Sidra appears to be doing well in reality, while I'm only theorizing about Nic, so that has to count for something.

No way Sidra is considered a front runner, he isnt even playing first team ball. He shouldnt be in on any full team camps in the near future until he breaks in at Cottbus... funny that a Canuck is actually first choice RB at his club. Our options at RB include... Serioux, Hainault, Edgar, Stalteri, Straith, Attakora, Ledgerwood in a meaningful game you put any of those guys in before you start Sidra

You know, I wouldn't be too worried right now with the national team. Yeah the whole team didn't play great, but there are parts to be excited about. The defense seemed to play well enough and Monsalve had a good night, so at least we're not totally helpless a GK right now. Gerba had a decent game from the limited service he got. The one problem that I heard from listening to the game was the midfield, specifically our center mids. Ribero wasn't really active and Cann had a dreadful game. So it when Guz was d-mid, we could win the ball but couldn't do anything with it. And when he moved up, we couldn't win the ball back. If Serioux or Johnson was healthy, the game would have been more competitive. I wish that Hart would have replaced Ribero with Attakora and Jakovic to d-mid to see what he could do. At least we now know that Cann should never play mid again.

We really shouldn't worry. The U.S. team hasn't won in four games, and recently lost by two goals at home to a team at the same level as the Jamaicans. Unless friendlies are A-team vs A-team, they don't show where a program is.

The one problem that I heard from listening to the game was the midfield.

I agree with this statement, but I don't think all of the problem comes down the middle. It doesn't sound like we had any build-up down the wings either, and I recall the commentators saying that there was tons of space for the Jamaicans down the flanks. This was in my opinion Canada's biggest problem in 2010 qualifying. Mitchell even started Radzinski on the flank one game. Huge concern for me! Don't like the 4-5-1 formation either.

I have to ask this. Given that Ali Gerba has had such a shaky start with TFC, I'm surprised at his continuing role as a Canadian striker. Yes he's potted some goals for us - however I'd like to know Voyageur thoughts to his future with the Nats. Will he be around for future qualifying? I'm not so sure.

Maybe in Jamaican slang "Massih Wassey" means something we don't know... is that why they found it so funny? Or perhaps it has nothing to do with that.

You are correct young fella....means feisty, you know like a wasp, therefore wassie/wassey - usually a compliment. Now the fact that his first name rhymes makes it a classic Jamaican nickname.:cool:

A couple things:

1) I'm glad to hear that Hart is not happy with losing and starts off the CSA press release as such.

2) For those lamenting the lack of scoring, it should be noted that we did put the ball in the net 2 minutes before Shelton scored. I'd like to see the replay of that to see if Jazic was offside. I'd also like to see Gerba's effort that the keeper tipped over. Sounded like a good one.

One thing about this match summary made me smile:

Teams: Jamaica --Dwayne Miller, Tyrone Marshall, Shavar Thomas, Jermaine Taylor, Jason Morrison Ryan Johnson 71st), Rodolph Austin (Richard Edwards 79th), Eric Vernan (Kenardo Forbes 74th), Demar Phillips, Luton Shelton (Navion Boyd 70th), Omar Cummings (Keammar Daley 79th), Devon Hodges.

Subs not used: DuWayne Kerr, Rafe Wolfe, Adrian Reid, Lovel Palmer.

Booked: Phillips (74th), Daley (86th).

Canada -- David Monslave, Ante Jazic, Andre Hainault, Julian de Guzman, Antonio Riberio (Adrian Cann 42nd, Rivas carlo 88th), Dejan Jakovic, Tyler Hemming, Ali Gerba, Massih Wassey, Stephen Ademolu (Nana Attakora 71st), Eddy Sidra (Edwini-Bonsu Randy 77th).

Subs not used: Sirdjan Djekanovic, Garrett Kusch.

Booked: de Guzman (45th), Attakora (80th), Cann (84th).

Referee: Geoffrey Hospedales (Trinidad and Tobago)

Assistant Referees: Anthony Garwood, Garnet Page (Jamaica)

http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/146246/page/1/fpart/10

I have to ask this. Given that Ali Gerba has had such a shaky start with TFC, I'm surprised at his continuing role as a Canadian striker. Yes he's potted some goals for us - however I'd lhttp://www.cansoc.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=341303ike to know Voyageur thoughts to his future with the Nats. Will he be around for future qualifying? I'm not so sure.

A few reasons, besides maybe younger guys only friend probably has an equivilent (but very different) skill set and for a while Gerba's style has been scoring. He's pretty composed which leads him to take his chances at any part of the game really well. He's really strong physically (good for staying on the ball and muscling out opponents) and has a cannon on a shot (if he brings it down, even if it hits the keeper its got a good chance of going in). He's also shown a bit of an aptitude for volleying the ball lightly with flair, but that last one's not so terribly important.

Even if you went with friend (not a bad idea) or developed more options out of jackson and maybe holiet, Gerba still deserves to be kept very close cause he's probably just on the poorer side of one of his weak streaks right now.

Archived