Jan 31st 2010 Canada - Jamaica game thread (R)

loyola

I'd be curious to see how this game would have played out had the injury bug not hit the team so hard.

losing Johnson and DeRo before kickoff obviously hurt.

Losing Ribeiro apparently hurt the shape of the midfield. Jamaica had a lot of the ball in 1st half but weren't really dangerous. In 2nd half, when Ribeiro went off after being stomped on, they became less effective.

Overall, I'm not concerned by the result (although you always want to get something out of any game) but it was good to get a game for a B/C team and see what some of these guys can do. From a depth perspective, that is important.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be curious to see how this game would have played out had the injury bug not hit the team so hard.

losing Johnson and DeRo before kickoff obviously hurt.

Losing Ribeiro apparently hurt the shape of the midfield. Jamaica had a lot of the ball in 1st half but weren't really dangerous. In 2nd half, when Ribeiro went off after being stomped on, they became less effective.

Overall, I'm not concerned by the result (although you always want to get something out of any game) but it was good to get a game for a B/C team and see what some of these guys can do. From a depth perspective, that is important.

Yeah, very true after Ribereiro went off it seemed Canada's game plan went out the window with him. We started to push forward more which totally opened us up to the Reggae Boyz pace. I think we walk away with at leats a draw if Ribeiro finsihes the game or possibly a win if DeRo and Johnson were avaible.

Overall not a bad first friendly by Hart especially sicne he had barely a B squad and got 7 new players capped I believe which never hurts. Plus some bright spots I only listen to the game through the KLAS broadcast, but it seemed Wassey had a particularly strong game as well as Monslave sounded like he played excpetionally as well.

Judging from these comments:

“I knew from our training sessions that physically we were going to struggle,” commented Hart. “Full credit to our players, they played through it and they kept themselves in the game and as I say on another day we could have come away with the result.”

I think the team might simply have run out of gas. I didn't have very high expectations for this match result, but I am interested in seeing which new/newer players left an impression with Hart and may get a look in upcoming internationals.

You can't get fit in 13 days, improve a little yes.

That's the point Richard. They're pro athletes, they don't need to "get fit" since they should be fit 365 days out of the year. They just need to bring their fitness level back up to where it should be.

That's the point Richard. They're pro athletes, they don't need to "get fit" since they should be fit 365 days out of the year. They just need to bring their fitness level back up to where it should be.

Those guys (MLS and USL) were coming from a long period of rest. Being back to be game fit is almost impossible to do in 13 days, specially considering the lack of real games during that time.

BTW, interesting article about the JFF suffering money loss for hosting the game.

Jamaica lost about $60,000 hosting the friendly.

"BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor

Luckily, the Federation was spared the expenses of airfare and match fees for the Canadian team."[/i]

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/JFF-LOSSES_7381143

That's outrageous...we didn't charge the Jamaicans a match fee? Sack Hart and the CSA! ( I am being sarcastic...)

Maybe compared to mid-season form, but you can't tell me the Jamaicans were in peak form. And the US NT never seems to have fitness issues in their January games relative to their opposition. They should have been on 2-a-days or 3-a-days if fitness was going to be such an issue.

And really, how much "rest" does a pro athlete get during the off season anyways? After an initial 2-3 week break after the season ends where they should do nothing to let their bodies repair, it should be back to training with only the intensity of the training being toned down.

Maybe compared to mid-season form, but you can't tell me the Jamaicans were in peak form. And the US NT never seems to have fitness issues in their January games relative to their opposition. They should have been on 2-a-days or 3-a-days if fitness was going to be such an issue.

And really, how much "rest" does a pro athlete get during the off season anyways? After an initial 2-3 week break after the season ends where they should do nothing to let their bodies repair, it should be back to training with only the intensity of the training being toned down.

Well, there's a reason why teams used a 5-6 weeks training camp prior to the begining of the season others than for selection and tactics purposes. They know players can't get back to game shape in a week, they need to have a progression to avoid injuries and stuff like that.

As for Jamaica, my understanding is that most of their players were in season but I could be mistaken.

Damn you and your facts. Ok, so it would appear the Jamaicans were in mid-season form, i'll lay off Hart.

http://www.soccerway.com/national/jamaica/premier-league/2009-2010/regular-season-/matches/

Even so, most professional sports do ask that their players come into camp fit, so camp can be used for tactics. That being said, obviously mid-season form is better AND they would have better timing. I would think a slight lack of fitness would lead to a mental lapse such as (apparently) the defence exhibited on the one goal. Especially given that the Canadians were trying to maintain a stifling defensive posture and were chasing the game for 90 minutes

Interesting about Jamaica losing money. From what I read as well, the country of Jamaica is hovering at a near bankrupt level right now, so that is really bad news for them.

It's not just fitness: it's the timing and and technical skills which need the repetition of first team, club level, for-real matches in order to be sharp. That's why most NT managers want their players to be playing regular first team club soccer (for the most part, there are exceptions) and that's also why I didn't expect a whole lot out of this match from a team standpoint, yet an individual player can show off some instances of individual technique and tactical instincts that makes the coach beieve he has a promising future. Hart got to see how well Jakovic could organize the backline, how Monsalve commands his box, if Edwini-Bonsu's pace can make up for his lack of size, etc.

I agree absolutely, that's what annoys me when pro players can't play the full 90 at the beginning of the season. They should be physically fit and ready to play when they report to training camp.

The Jamaican ( Norway based) players i.e Shelton, Austin & Phillips are in preseason. There are also MLS players like Tyrone Marhsall (Seattle), Shavar Tmomas(Philadelphia) and Ryan Johnson(San Jose) who are also in preseason. You are correct - Their local players are in midseason form.........I think the more the Canadian team gels, the better they will be collectively.

I agree absolutely, that's what annoys me when pro players can't play the full 90 at the beginning of the season. They should be physically fit and ready to play when they report to training camp.

Yes, and you see this more and more in the NHL which is why one month training camps are becoming obsolete. Typically if your job is on the line you're going to want to show up with that extra edge to prove you deserve to keep your job. Maybe the players assembled didn't feel they needed to stay in peak condition over the winter months?

well they could have gotten match fit, but normally it would be too risky. But considering the injury bug hit us anyway they might as well have been scrimmaging, alot. It is by far the most effective way to train (just to play a tonne) but it's usually kept to a minimum because you feel like an idiot if you lose your star player to an errant slide tackle by one of your fringe players.

One huge benefit of which can offset injuries once you've been doing it for a few months is pysical fitness(I'm thinking stamina and hardiness) improves dramatically (a good example is: have any of you noticed that when you set up a regular game after a few months of inactivity, their almost always an injury in the first couple games? and then when your set in to playing theirs usually just an injury every few months, this is usually developed fitness).

It's probably a poor training plan for a national team but I can't help but think that since we lost dero and johnson anyways, we probably could have had a fit team with injuries over an unfit team with injuries.

Is this a joke or are you serious? In any case, I do want to know why the Jamaicans were spared our travel costs when we ourselves are always crying poor?

Well, we used a boat in 2008 but not this year.

As for your question, I guess the logic answer is "Because without us making that kind of gesture they wouldn't have accepted to host the game....so no game without the CSA making their part."

Well, we used a boat in 2008 but not this year.

As for your question, I guess the logic answer is "Because without us making that kind of gesture they wouldn't have accepted to host the game....so no game without the CSA making their part."

This is part of a home and away series with the game at BMO tba I thought? maybe I'm just confused, but maybe we won't owe them squat when they come to BMO

Archived