Tampa Bay Rowdies announce their 2010 home stadium

SteveBeau

One thing that's interesting in their official announcement is the fact they were bright enough to launch an "Academy International Residency Program" right off the bat. Very interesting to see for a US-based Div. II side.

But...

Tabarn... Will they ever understand what a soccer stadium should look like ? It looks way worse than PGE Park here.

The stadium soccer set-up and seat manifest will contain approximately 10,000 seats, including the Tampa Tribune Deck and luxury suites.

A 10k seater ??????? Wow, it's getting worse... As for the luxury suites, that's a good thing to have some but I highly doubt they'll be able to sell more than a few ones.

Oh, and I see they signed Dwight Barnett... Well I guess that's all they can hope for.

I'll say that the Rowdies didn't have much choice even though the layout looks God-awful. The original plan was to build a stadium in a middle-upper class neighbourhood but for whatever reason those plans were killed (I know there was a lot of local opposition including my brother who lives about 5 miles from the originally proposed site). There are a lot of stadiums in the city, and in St Petersburg, but they are all huge capacity/domes. When I was down there a few weeks ago, there was even talk of a proposed site east of Tampa along Interstate 4 (which is serious redneck territory) but the locals there didn't want it built either. So a lot of NIMBYism...not like there's a lack of land in the city either. I don't know what the long term solution is for them at this point but I believe there is a love for youth soccer in the city. Personally, I hope it works out inspite of playing in 35 C + humidity weather in the middle of summer...yuck!

One thing that's interesting in their official announcement is the fact they were bright enough to launch an "Academy International Residency Program" right off the bat. Very interesting to see for a US-based Div. II side.

But...

Tabarn... Will they ever understand what a soccer stadium should look like ? It looks way worse than PGE Park here.

The stadium soccer set-up and seat manifest will contain approximately 10,000 seats, including the Tampa Tribune Deck and luxury suites.

A 10k seater ??????? Wow, it's getting worse... As for the luxury suites, that's a good thing to have some but I highly doubt they'll be able to sell more than a few ones.

Oh, and I see they signed Dwight Barnett... Well I guess that's all they can hope for.

Dwight Barnett was with the Impact in 2008, never made to the season !

The more things change ...

Add this franchise to the long list of North American Soccer Franchises that are doomed to fail. If the Tampa Bay Mutiny was only able to draw an average of 11000 per game, this franchise is going to be looking at +/- 2000 fans per game playing in a venue like that.

^ The University of South Florida is in town and so is the University of Tampa. But I think USF plays at Raymond James Stadium (where the Bcs play) and I don't know about UT. But you're right, there are enough places in Tampa that could host USL-1/NASL soccer but they'd have to be retrofitted and would have to be with the permission of the high school or community college. Would they look better than the set up at the baseball stadium? Can't be worse.

Archived