Montreal Impact personnel moves

Alberto7

I thought I would start a thread listing all the Impact's moves for the 2010 season:

No longer with the Impact:

Zanzan (released )

Biello (retired)

Brillant (released)

Surprenant (released)

Gjertsen (San Jose Erathquakes)

P.R. Mayard (loaned to Charleston Battery)

New signings:

Hemming

On Trial:

Badescu

Agourram

Radevich

Retana

In Limbo:

Brown (has not signed yet)

Donnatelli (rumor has him going to Philadelphia, although he is supposed to be at training camp)

C. O'Brien (?)

L. O'Brien (?)

I thought I would start a thread listing all the Impact's moves for the 2010 season:

No longer with the Impact:

Zanzan (released )

Biello (retired)

Brillant (released)

Surprenant (released)

Gjertsen (San Jose Erathquakes)

P.R. Mayard (loaned to Charleston Battery)

New signings:

Hemming

On Trial:

Badescu

Agourram

Radevich

Retana

In Limbo:

Brown (has not signed yet)

Donnatelli (rumor has him going to Philadelphia, although he is supposed to be at training camp)

C. O'Brien (?)

L. O'Brien (?)

As I recall they officially released L. O'Brien last season.

^ I think both NDS & mostly MDS just don't like him, simple as that. They never really gave him a chance to prove himself on the pitch and that's really sad. He eventually lost his confidence like it happens most of the time when a player doesn't feel he has the coach's opinion on his side. But when it happens at such a young age, that's even more disturbing and there goes the catch-22 scenario. Unfortunately, it happened to a local boy involving the local team and that should not happen again. There is less home talent on the team compared to what they used to have 5-10 years ago, we can't afford to waste such promising young talents so quickly without giving them a real chance to perform in a perfect environment & state of mind. That's the reason why I'm satisfied with the Mayard loan, this way he's gonna get a (full ?) season to build up his confidence before getting a regular spot on the team. I don't think Alex will be back as long as MDS & NDS are with the team.

^ I think both NDS & mostly MDS just don't like him, simple as that. They never really gave him a chance to prove himself on the pitch and that's really sad. He eventually lost his confidence like it happens most of the time when a player doesn't feel he has the coach's opinion on his side. But when it happens at such a young age, that's even more disturbing and there goes the catch-22 scenario. Unfortunately, it happened to a local boy involving the local team and that should not happen again. There is less home talent on the team compared to what they used to have 5-10 years ago, we can't afford to waste such promising young talents so quickly without giving them a real chance to perform in a perfect environment & state of mind. That's the reason why I'm satisfied with the Mayard loan, this way he's gonna get a (full ?) season to build up his confidence before getting a regular spot on the team. I don't think Alex will be back as long as MDS & NDS are with the team.

Obviously the MNT sees something in him that the Impact don't. But it's true they never gave him a string of 60+ minute appearances to really gauge what he can bring.

Hopefully Agourram can stick and help with the local content.

^ I think both NDS & mostly MDS just don't like him, simple as that.

He just wasn't competitive with some of the other players (DeRoux, Zanzan) at that position. As for MDS not linking him: he played many minutes under him at TR, but word is that he was lazy in training.

I'm still reasonably happy with the local factor in the roster.

Montreal: Pizzolitto, Placentino, Braz, Leduc, Aboubou, Agourram, Mayard (loan)

Other Canadians: Gatti, Sebrango, Hemming, Djekanovic

But it could certainly be more.

He just wasn't competitive with some of the other players (DeRoux, Zanzan) at that position. As for MDS not linking him: he played many minutes under him at TR, but word is that he was lazy in training.

Heard that before and I agree that could be the reason. But to say he wasn't competitive enough with other LBs is pulling the plug a bit quickly here, even if he's lazy in training. You won't get a definitive idea about someone's contribution and what he's got inside if you keep him on the bench.

Heard that before and I agree that could be the reason. But to say he wasn't competitive enough with other LBs is pulling the plug a bit quickly here, even if he's lazy in training. You won't get a definitive idea about someone's contribution and what he's got inside if you keep him on the bench.

But you won't make it to the field if you have a poor work ethic in training....

From Quebec soccer:

A couple of French players on trial added at the last minute:

Eddy Quenel defense

Steve Pinau who belongs to Genoa of Serie A. He cannot participate yet as there is some paperwork that is not completed

http://www.quebecsoccer.com/article.php?id=1966

wow, that is actually a really informative article.... who writes this and why do they know more than "real" news sites? :)

I'm still reasonably happy with the local factor in the roster.

Montreal: Pizzolitto, Placentino, Braz, Leduc, Aboubou, Agourram, Mayard (loan)

Other Canadians: Gatti, Sebrango, Hemming, Djekanovic

But it could certainly be more.

Same as me. I'm "reasonably" happy, it's just that it seems there are less prominent players on the team coming from Quebec than before, but that was back in the good ol' amateur day at CCR I suppose... That's the downside of having your team wanting to play with the big boys. Although I find this ain't cool, I must admit I still prefer the MLS option with less local boys...

But you won't make it to the field if you have a poor work ethic in training....
I know, I know...

and I agree... ;)

But on the other hand, I've got a feeling that he was robbed a real chance to prove himself.

He's just 20 YEARS OLD !!!

Patience guys, patience. That is the key. If he's really good, then we're gonna have the time to realize it (the same for the player himself). If he's a bust, then we're gonna be sure (or almost) about that and prevent a John LeClair scenario to happen.

Like Keano said, if the MNT likes him, he must be a heck of a player... :rolleyes:

Two European players signed today:

Portuguese midfielder Helder Filipe Da Costa Soares and French midfielder Philippe Billy:

http://impactmontreal.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1298

HELDER FILIPE DA COSTA SOARES AND PHILIPPE BILLY JOIN THE IMPACT

PRESS RELEASE: January 27, 2010

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact announced Wednesday the signing of Portuguese midfielder Helder Filipe Da Costa Soares, as well as French midfielder/right winger Philippe Billy. Both players have come to terms with the club for the next two seasons.

Helder Filipe Da Costa Soares, an offensive midfielder whose announcement was originally slated during training camp kickoff Monday, is an offensive midfielder who will turn 28 on February 10. He played second division in Portugal during the last 10 years and had been selected to the Portuguese Under-20 National Team. Before joining the Impact, he played with CD Feirense and played his last match December 10, 2009 against Portimonense. He also played with SC Freamunde, from 2000 to 2004, and from 2006 to 2009, as well as with FC Vizela, from 2003 to 2006.

Philippe Billy is a midfielder/right winger born in Nantes who turned 28 on January 13. Billy has played a total of 24 matches with Stade Brestois 29, in French Ligue 2, during the 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 seasons. He also wore the colours of Serie A and B US Lecce in Italy during four seasons (2001 to 2004, 2005-2006). Billy also played 36 matches during the 2004-2005 season in the Belgian First Division with RAEC Mons and 25 games in the French National Championship with Stade Lavallois MFC, in 2006-2007. In 1998, he was also selected to the French Under-17 National team and won the following year the Four-nation tournament with the French Under-18 National team.

“We are adding to our lineup two players who will have an important role and I’m confident that they will both make our team better,” declared Impact technical director Nick De Santis. “These are two players with an excellent level and who have been immersed in European soccer culture. Both players have shown great motivation and a desire to live a new experience in North America with the Impact.”

“During our stay in Portugal, last November, we did a lot of scouting and Filipe impressed us,” explained De Santis. “We were looking for a player who could manage the midfield and who was able to generate attack. Billy is also a quality player who has a very professional attitude and who always gives his maximum for his team. The sports manager of Fiorentina, who was at the time with US Lecce, had many good things to say on his behalf.”

“I think that both players will succeed in integrating themselves well with our style of play, which favours ball possession,” declared Impact head coach Marc Dos Santos. “Both are talented players who have been key elements in their respective clubs.”

Both players will attend their first training session with the Impact today, from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm, at the Bell Sports Complex, in Brossard.

Helder Filipe Da Costa Soares will wear number 8 during the 2010 season, while Philippe Billy will inherit number 21. Midfielder Leonardo Di Lorenzo will from now on wear number 11, while newcomer Tyler Hemming will play with number 6.

With the addition of these two new players, the Impact has now six foreign players on its lineup, the four others being Peter Byers, Cédric Joqueviel, Leonardo Di Lorenzo and Stefano Pesoli, and a total of 20 players under contract.

I like these signings based on the level of play these players have been at in their careers, and the fact that they have been facing at least Eropean div2 opposition for many years.

Looks like the Grande/Gjertsen replacement is there in the form of Soares, and I guess the acquisition of a very experienced right winger in Billy means that Donatelli won't be back.

I know, I know...

and I agree... ;)

But on the other hand, I've got a feeling that he was robbed a real chance to prove himself.

He's just 20 YEARS OLD !!!

Patience guys, patience. That is the key. If he's really good, then we're gonna have the time to realize it (the same for the player himself). If he's a bust, then we're gonna be sure (or almost) about that and prevent a John LeClair scenario to happen.

Like Keano said, if the MNT likes him, he must be a heck of a player... :rolleyes:

If work ethic is still a problem at 20 years old there's not much hope really.

Archived