Patrice Bernier to Houston?

loyola

Houston has always been a team with Canadian flavour last year.

When they were at their best they had Serioux, Onstad, an DeRo.

Now they will have Onstad, Hainult, Harmse, and Bernier.

Pretty good crop of Canadians. I really think we see more Canadian coming back to North America especially from the Scandavian Leagues as the MLS is now possibly a better product of football than them.

Given the fact Vancouver and eventually Montreal are gonna be in the league the States teams will grab Canadian's rights now so they can dangle in front of the Candian clubs seeking domestic players who can play at the mLS level when they make the jump.

Smart move by Houston as he'll fit their squad quite well. With Harmse and Bernier they have possibly found cover for Clark and Holden.

Looks like we are not that far off from having a national team that is almost entirely domestic based. if not, then at least half of the national team pool will be. That should put us on a more even keel with our regional opponents whereby most of their players ( unlike ours) dont have to travel accross multiple time zones to play WCQ's. And our players will be in mid season form.

Anyways, Europe should be for the creme de la creme of canadian talent. An option to those who made a mark and a name for themselves domestically and out grow out of their environs.

Looks like we are not that far off from having a national team that is almost entirely domestic based. if not, then at least half of the national team pool will be. That should put us on a more even keel with our regional opponents whereby most of their players ( unlike ours) dont have to travel accross multiple time zones to play WCQ's. And our players will be in mid season form.

That's a good point. Since the last WCQ I have come to the conclusion that we need more of our squad members to be domestically based, so it's good to hear that more young guys are emerging in MLS and more veterans like Bernier are possibly returning to NA. As for Bernier, I think he'll do well in Kinnear's system.

Pretty good crop of Canadians. I really think we see more Canadian coming back to North America especially from the Scandavian Leagues as the MLS is now possibly a better product of football than them.

We need more Canadians in MLS period. It will be vital for World Cup qualification.

Agree completely awesome move for Bernier! With all players playing in the same league the team will have a consistent style, I think thats a problem how many different leagues our players play in way more than any other country in the region and most likely world. Domestic based teams are more successful

I agree with you there keegan. However, when push comes to shove we our A squad will always be at least 75% European based. I would like to eventually see most of our top euro guys in either Germany or England, at least then the majority of our players will play in only 3 different leagues. That shouldn't be too bad of a situation. Anyways, lets see if our 10 MLS players will make a difference in terms of a consistant style.

^ I'd like to change that to we need more YOUNG Canadians in MLS. Hopefully once the Caps arrive there will be a number of Residency grads who will be able to find a place in MLS.

Naturally.

Domestic based teams are more successful

For a country like Canada, that definately would be the case. It's not just about style though, the mentality of the players and unity will also be much better.

Archived