Argentina - Canada May 24

Sam

Final 23, announced today by Maradona!

Equipo:

Arqueros: Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar, Holanda), Mariano Andújar (Catania, Italia), Diego Pozzo (Colón)

Defensas: Nicolás Otamendi (Vélez Sarsfield, Argentina), Martín Demichelis (Bayern Munich, Alemania), Walter Samuel (Inter, Italia), Gabriel Heinze (Marsella, Francia), Nicolás Burdisso (Roma, Italia), Ariel Garce (Colón), Clemente Rodríguez (Estudiantes)

Volantes: Jonás Gutiérrez (Newcastle, Inglaterra), Juan Sebastián Verón, Javier Mascherano (Liverpool, Inglaterra), Angel Di María (Benfica, Portugal), Javier Pastore (Palermo, Italia), Maxi Rodríguez (Liverpool, Inglaterra), Mario Bolatti (Fiorentina)

Delanteros: Lionel Messi (Barcelona, España), Gonzalo Higuaín (Real Madrid, España), Carlos Tevez (Manchester City, Inglaterra), Diego Milito (Inter, Italia), Sergio Agüero (Atlético Madrid, España) y Martín Palermo (Boca Juniors, Argentina).

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been reading some Argentine blogs and press. Since Messi got hurt in practice, nothing serious, he is likely not to start, 2nd half sub in they say.

Maradona has been practicing with a 3-man attack. I think the idea for the strong sides is to try out their attacks in the group stage, play more defensively after it. With their strong attackers the idea is to have as many on the field as possible.

Many commentators say we are like their last friendly vs. Haiti, no better. Most commentators are wondering what Argentina will get out of the experience. Will have to prove them we were worth it.

I think we are going to score--say Simpson. The rest we'll see.

This article says that Maradona has decided to start 3 strikers against Canada, Higuain in the centre-forward, Tevez on the left, and Messi free to roam.

http://www.losandes.com.ar/notas/2010/5/23/deportes-491560.asp

It does not say much more, mainly describing the intrateam squads during the practices yeasterday.

Messi is apparently okay now, and Aguero and Veron are being examined for minor complaints, but should be ready for Monday.

Weather forecast for match time: 18 C , cloudy, probability of rain

10 men behind the ball is preferable to ten behind their strikers, have to take things as they are.

Argentina does not have a highly creative midfield, their keepers are not world class. The defense is good but the best of it won't play on Monday. You can take them on in the middle, and you have to shoot, even from far out, and try to get some free kicks or corners to try their keepers out in the air.

Meaning the only real danger is their attack, that is where we are clearly inferior. You have to make sure they don't get the ball, by pressuring the few creative mids (esp Di Maria behind the strikers), and if they do get the ball forward, double team. Any of their attackers playing from the wing will turn in before the end line, almost always. So you can almost give them the wings and stay tight and compact in the middle and they'll have some problems, as proven by more defensive teams in qualifying.

I doubt Messi will play as a starter, I think he'll start Palermo just because he won't start in the World Cup. Higuain: seen him play, know him well, and all I can say is that he has a deadly accurate shot, you have to shut it down.

Regret that we don't have our best for this match, there is a limit as to how far you can go with lesser talent.

It does not say much more, mainly describing the intrateam squads during the practices yeasterday.

Thanks for the link beachesl. One of those intrateam 11s looks like a pretty likely starting 11 to me: Sergio Romero; Jonás Gutiérrez, Nicolás Burdisso, Nicolás Otamendi y Gabriel Heinze, Maximiliano Rodríguez, Javier Mascherano y Angel Di María; Higuaín, Messi y Tevez.

If Veron isn't fit and they're starting three up top then this makes a lot of sense, especially with Walter Samuel and Dimechelis out.

Enjoy the day.

cheers,

matthew

If there's a canada goal, who will do it?

I'll say DeRo. Why not? Form's good for Toronto and I can't see him getting intimidated. I on the other hand am scared to watch this game. Whatever magic spells got cast before the Brazil friendly need to be cast again and fast.

we are gathered in a restaurantcalled Solimia prior to the game.. eating steak driniking beer.... having fun.

You guys are missing a good good time.

Beaches is painted up in red and white and claims he will be the most visible fan in the stadia.

Archived