Argentina - Canada May 24

Sam

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Victoria Day in the afternoon right before the World Cup. Perfect opportunity for sportsnet to get a decent audience for a CMNT game

Depends a bit on how the weather goes, Victoria Day long weekend out here is a sort of unofficial launch for cottage season.

But I hear yah. The other networks will be ratcheting up for the World Cup by then and this is Argentina's last competitive kick-about before South Africa. You'd think the lads over at SportsNet could really market some decent numbers for this fixture. Monday afternoon and hockey playoffs or no.

So far, I am aware of only:

1.Moldy9

2.beachesl

3.Trillium

I am seriously considering taking this trip and perhaps going to Venezuala as well for the other game. Whats the pricing you guys are looking at? I'm getting annoyed/frustrated at the logistical issues thrown on me because of having to work the damn G20 which essentially wacked all my original plans (good thing I had cancelation insurance) so perhaps considering dumping S.A. and doing this instead?

I am seriously considering taking this trip and perhaps going to Venezuala as well for the other game. Whats the pricing you guys are looking at? I'm getting annoyed/frustrated at the logistical issues thrown on me because of having to work the damn G20 which essentially wacked all my original plans (good thing I had cancelation insurance) so perhaps considering dumping S.A. and doing this instead?

You and any other late-arranging V's welcome to join me and some others plans. PM me.

I am seriously considering taking this trip and perhaps going to Venezuala as well for the other game. Whats the pricing you guys are looking at? I'm getting annoyed/frustrated at the logistical issues thrown on me because of having to work the damn G20 which essentially wacked all my original plans (good thing I had c ancelation insurance) so perhaps considering dumping S.A. and doing this instead?

Just do it Scorpio... I have an apartment you can crash in from the 20th and booked a flight via Gol to Caracas about 360 one way....get and open Jaw routing TO to EZE then EZE CCS, flying Merida looks dicy better to suffer the executive bus, not sure where to stay but the town is full of cheap spots that you can crash in with the backpackers and students studying spanish.

We could reprise Montreal .... do you remember the girl playing the Harp ?

PS Beaches promises what happens in BA stays there... so not so sure what that portends since he is a local in terms of language and knowledge.

PS Beaches promises what happens in BA stays there... so not so sure what that portends since he is a local in terms of language and knowledge.

Actually I expect what happens in BA is told in a very loud voice to everyone at 99 next time you are there! :)

Well, I actually live in Mendoza, 1,100 kms to the west. I will be in BA as a turista also, so do not expect me to be a guide to the underbelly, just a wide-eyed participant.

So...what you are saying, Grizz, is that Trillium sometimes comes under the influence of the loudmouth soup? :)

But, yes, I cross my heart, hope to die...("girl playing the Harp"?!?....the mind races......)

Look forward to meeting as many of you V's as possible. The last time i was with the V's was when I organized the V section (I was NOT responsible for putting the Hondurass fans next to us!) at Commonwealth in Edmonton for the 2004 WCQ match (other than getting together for the odd beer with a few Edmonton/Calgary V's after that).

EDIT: I am organizing a cheering section about 20 local baexpats of various ages and ilk (Moldy will be in another section with diplomatic-immunity types), I only know them online, have no idea what they are actually like in the flesh. We are meeting at a restaurant near the stadium at 12:00 noon for lunch, they may have some ideas for post-match shennanigans.

Actually I expect what happens in BA is told in a very loud voice to everyone at 99 next time you are there! :)
Here I thought the bar official name was BRA 99 in honor of you El Grande Grizzily Principe Blu de Monterrey e Torreon, and Siberia..... seriously anyone who has not yet travelled to an away game out of country....even to the US absolutly has to do it.

With Montreal in MLS next year .... we get to drive to New York, Boston, Philly and Washington as road trips, Toronto will have the excitement of Columbus and ...well Columb s for the Trillium Cup ( I still want my copyright respected on this one LOL ), and Vancouver gets its traditional two of Portland and Seattle... is that not the Cascadia cup ?

Not to mention going to other countries with club or National Team.

I just finished watching a 35 minute live interview of Maradona on a talk show. He said Argentina will be leaving for Pretoria training camp on the 26th, and will not go to Dubai to play the UAE schedules, he says because there were problems with chartering an aircraft (?). Talked about the plans for South Africa, but mentioned nothing about the Gran Fiesta de Bicentario or the match from Canada (obviously still pissed off at having to play this match with all its distractions and terrible pitch, by Presidenta Cristina who really runs the AFA).

Interestingly, he said that all the wifes and girlfriends will be in the hotel because they are Argentineans and they need the family support there (unlike Capellos philosophy for England this time). His daughter (Aguero's estranged wife) phoned the show at the end of the interview and said she would be there in South Africa, as would the whole family. Althouh he will be on the 30 man list on Tuesday I think, I think Arguero will not make the final list given that I expect Messi, Tevez, Higuin, Millito (the one in Inter, maybe his brother too) and Palermo wil be going. Given the lack of matches, the 7 not on the final list may stay to play scrimmages).

Other non-football comments: 1. He has grown a beard to cover the scar left by the dog attack. 2. He was about to visit the place where Che guevara died in Bolivia in March, but backed out at the last moment as it was too emotional (crying on TV). He was crying through half the interview, what an emotional guy!

According to DeRo's FB/tweets, the Argentina game is sold out, with over 80,000 to be in attendance.

If true, that's gonna be quite an experience for our boys.

Hell its going to be an experience for the Voyageurs who go to it.

Imagine 80k Argentinians crazy hyped by Ricky Martin and Shakira.... and a small band of Voyageurs.

Its as they say going to be Monumental.

According to brief news reports, Maradona will set his team of 23 tomorrow, and not wait until the ist of June, because he " does not want to waste more time". Tomorrow, they are to start training at the AFA ground at Ezeiza, near the international airport, with a view to the friendly on Monday, 24 of May, with Canada at Monumental.

http://www.ar.terra.com/futbol/mundial/2010/noticias/0,,OI4436948-EI14432,00-Maradona+dara+este+miercoles+los+que+iran+al+Mundial.html

This means he goes into the friendly with a effective bench of 20, given that the 3 Euro Final players will not be ready to play.

According to brief news reports, Maradona will set his team of 23 tomorrow, and not wait until the ist of June, because he " does not want to waste more time". Tomorrow, they are to start training at the AFA ground at Ezeiza, near the international airport, with a view to the friendly on Monday, 24 of May, with Canada at Monumental.

http://www.ar.terra.com/futbol/mundial/2010/noticias/0,,OI4436948-EI14432,00-Maradona+dara+este+miercoles+los+que+iran+al+Mundial.html

This means he goes into the friendly with a effective bench of 20, given that the 3 Euro Final players will not be ready to play.

Demi, Sosa and Samuel?

Has Maradonna made any comments on the choice of Canada as the opponent since his outburt a few months ago? I'd like some more ammo to get excited about this match so if Maradonna has done nothing make up some elaborate story that involves killing beavers to get me riled up :)

Has Maradonna made any comments on the choice of Canada as the opponent since his outburt a few months ago? I'd like some more ammo to get excited about this match so if Maradonna has done nothing make up some elaborate story that involves killing beavers to get me riled up :)

No. Nada. No comment about Canada, other than he said he did not want to play us because it was too soon for a friendly. He probably knows nothing about our squad, and cares less.

Sorry, I have never lied to a fellow voyageur, even if they begged me to.

Archived