Importance of a League in Regards to:

Tuscan

1. How many referees Canada can have at the CONCACAF level and then FIFA level

2. How our national teams are placed within CONCACAF tourneys and then FIFA/International tourneys

I ask these two questions due to a conversation I had with one of the up and coming referees here in Saskatoon. Rodrigo is pure class when officiating a match. I've never had a more consistent and confident ref than him in any competition I've ever played in. I asked him what his aspirations are within reffing, and he said he wasn't planning on focusing on it due to the limited opportunity there is for Canadian refs in footy. His main point is that since there is no domestic league, most refs can never find their way into reffing high competition games on a consistent basis, and therefore plateau at an inferior level compared to other nations.

If anyone on here has info regarding these that they can back up, I'm very interested in hearing it. Time and time again I'll read about the importance of a domestic league, but it's these types of details that really hammer home how critical specifics like a domestic league really are.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

1. How many referees Canada can have at the CONCACAF level and then FIFA level

2. How our national teams are placed within CONCACAF tourneys and then FIFA/International tourneys

I ask these two questions due to a conversation I had with one of the up and coming referees here in Saskatoon. Rodrigo is pure class when officiating a match. I've never had a more consistent and confident ref than him in any competition I've ever played in. I asked him what his aspirations are within reffing, and he said he wasn't planning on focusing on it due to the limited opportunity there is for Canadian refs in footy. His main point is that since there is no domestic league, most refs can never find their way into reffing high competition games on a consistent basis, and therefore plateau at an inferior level compared to other nations.

If anyone on here has info regarding these that they can back up, I'm very interested in hearing it. Time and time again I'll read about the importance of a domestic league, but it's these types of details that really hammer home how critical specifics like a domestic league really are.

Not specifics, but this repeats what others have said as well:

Tony Evangelista: Well, the few - the percentage that are really talented players - of course have this opportunity. Now they also have the MLS and previously it was the NASL (North American Soccer League) - which was great and that's where I learned most of my refereeing. I developed as a referee in the same way that other people developed as players - having a place to practice the profession.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/interview_tony_evangelista_jul_1_09_feature.shtml

Ian, what are the odds you could drum up an interview with, say, Joe Guest (Deputy General Secretary / Director of Refereeing)? It would be interesting to find out about both coaches and referees developmental plans instead of player development, which is what 99% of other questions on here tend to be about. Player development is great, but these other two are just as vital.

Archived