Coaching Clinic with Hart, Waiters, Fonseca

Sam

For those interested RMC (in Kingston) will be hosting a "Coaching the Coaches" clinic on the weekend of February 13-14.

Stephen Hart will be doing a few of the sessions as well as Tony Waiters the man who led Canada to the World Cup in 1986 and the U-20 coach (EDIT: Tony Fonseca) as well as a few other high caliber coaches.

That night there will be a discussion panel on grassroots soccer in Canada with Hart and Peter Montopoli.

There is more info here for anyone interested: http://www.coachingthecoaches.ca/soccer.asp

EDIT: The more I read about this thing the cooler it sounds, last year they had coaches from provinces across the country (B.C. and Newfoundland!) plus a few states

quote:Originally posted by Spungi

Just as an update, Peter Montopoli has been added to the Saturday night session.

I had that in the original post ;)

Anyways there is also a break in between the afternoon clinic and the discussion panel, if there are a few guys coming down for this we should head downtown for dinner in between

I don't see any student discount, you could probably give them a call and find out though. If you register before February 1st though you save $$$$. Plus there is a group discount if you can get up to 5 coaches, unfortunately I've already signed up through my club but if you guys can get some people together you can use that.

As for accommodation if you want to be downtown near RMC there is a Holiday Inn and the Four Points Sheraton which is where the discussion panel that night will take place.

Sorry, I haven't been on in a bit.

In regards to lodging, I know a few people in Kingston who use http://www.couchsurfing.org/home.html you can probably find a place to stay for a few nights on there, and its free!

On the form it says to indicate whether you are a student or not, so I would assume that is how you get the discount. The discount is available to ALL students, so use it!

Plenty of interesting stuff, thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

- The coaches ran the RMC soccer team through the sessions

- Could immediately tell why the Canadian players like Hart so much. Very enthusiastic when running a session, he really gets into it and gets very excited when someone pulls off a good piece of skill.

- Tony Waiters has some great stories about the 86 team. The best was when the tried to work on set pieces with Carl Valentine before the game against Honduras to qualify for the World Cup. Valentine hadn't played with the team yet, so didn't know the team's set pieces. So they were planning to practice with him in Toronto right before they went to St Johns. But when they showed up there was press both Canadian and Honduran there so they didn't want to give away the set pieces. They only had one practice in St. Johns and they knew it was going to be in front of loads of press. So the morning before the practice in St Johns, they went and had a full impromptu practice at a local school, then went and practiced in front of the press, where the press said the players were very lazy, not knowing they had already had a full practice that morning.

- Plus want to give some huge credit to Waiters for flying in from Vancouver on Friday night and flying back Saturday afternoon, just came for the clinic

- The theory sessions were interesting as well. Hart did a session on defending as a team using Manchester United's defense from the 2009 Champions League final as an example (both positively and negatively). Waiters did set pieces and his 12 keys to set plays. And National team physio, David Foley did one on injury prevention.

-David Foley ran a really good warm up with the RMC team as well, which had a lot of new stuff I hadn't seen after what seems like 100s of these coaching clinics.

-Fonseca ran two very quick dynamic sessions, using full field games.

- That night was a discussion with Hart, Fonseca, Patrick Tobo (Ontario U-15 coach) and Phil Wheddon (Syracuse Women's Team coach) and Peter Montopoli.

- I asked Hart what he thought needed to change from 2010 qualifying to 2014 qualifying. First he said basically not get screwed by CONCACAF with the group. Then he elaborated on the 2011 Gold Cup, saying we have to use it as preparation but winning the tournament will be the top priority, because playing the Confederations Cup would be a big deal. Then he finished by saying more preparation would be the key.

-Fonseca outlined the goal for the Canadian national team to have five players at each position who could play a part with the national team, citing the American national team as the standard.

- Montopoli was attacked about TFC not putting any effort into developing Canadian players. And Montopli answered the question very well, saying that the problem isn't TFC, Montreal, Vancouver or whoever else. In the end the problem is that general members (being anyone registered to coach, ref or play soccer in Canada) don't care about the elite level or the national team, and went on to say that to him national team results is the number one priority which was refreshing.

- Hart and Fonseca both said a U-17 residency program would be nice, but it isn't necessary. They both agreed that national team players should have fifty matches wit the U-20 and U-17 teams by the time they get to the national team.

- Hart also talked about the need for pro regional leagues for 18 year olds to play in.

- Hart also said the biggest drop off in Canada is between the ages of 14-16 ad that is where we fall behind the rest, because the focus is on the middle not the elite.

- Montopoli also said that aside from bidding for the Women's 2015 World Cup, he also will bid for the 2012 Women's Olympic qualifiers.

- He also said the Own the Podium program has resulted in an extra 1.4 million dollars of funding for the women's national team.

- Montopoli said that they are in talks with teams for the mens and womens home friendlies, but he couldn't reveal them. He also said the two men's friendlies will probably be sandwiched between the two women's games.

-Finally he heavily hinted that if Edmonton join the Voyageurs Cup the format will most likely change.

Overall just a great weekend, Spungi was also there if he wants to add anything. I just want to thank Frank Halligan as well for putting together this excellent coaching clinic. Learned way more than I have at any other clinic.

^That's a really thorough presentation, Sam!

Glad to see Waiters do the stuff on set plays. That was a very important part of his teams, be it the Whitecaps or the MNT, albeit a different era. Watching the mediocrity of our corner kick service/attacks during the last GC, especially in comparison with other teams at the same tourney, made me reminisce about Waiters' simple but effective short corner tactics (i.e. Gray to Bridge flicked on to Mitchell et al).

^That's a really thorough presentation, Sam!

Glad to see Waiters do the stuff on set plays. That was a very important part of his teams, be it the Whitecaps or the MNT, albeit a different era. Watching the mediocrity of our corner kick service/attacks during the last GC, especially in comparison with other teams at the same tourney, made me reminisce about Waiters' simple but effective short corner tactics (i.e. Gray to Bridge flicked on to Mitchell et al).

This takes me back to being a kid and going to the Tony Waiters Goalie camps (and then a year or two later, one with my hero Sven Habermann). I remember Waiters being extremely professional with us, even though we were quite young.

Thanks guys. Great anecdote about the 86 team.

The event that I attended here in Calgary was quite different in that it was basically Hart on his own for 2 hours, with an audience of local coaches. I have been working off and on getting it into a presentable format. I was waiting for this session to see what came out of it. As the two were quite different, I will be posting / blogging / whatever what he presented in Calgary over the next while at this site.

Archived