Interview with Carlos Rivas Jr.

Ian Kennett

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Eric

Wow, we have an english teacher here. You can call it bench warmer if you like!!!! [:o)]

I am not an English teacher but I managed to learn the language in school.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Xavi - Terrassa, Spain

Iniesta - Fuentealbilla, Spain

Puyol - La Pobla de Segur, Spain

Pique - Barcelona, Spain

Valdes - L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain

Busquets - Sabadell, Spain

Alright, I miscounted, but still a majority never the less. Well, Pedro did come on late so that makes seven Spanish players making an appearance. Oh, what the hell;

Pedro - Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Sure, Spain before had their national team problems and a lot of their style is influenced by other countries like the Netherlands and what not. However, out of that influence, they evolved and made their own style. If you watch Barcelona play, you would see that it's not Messi who dictates how they play. It's their two central midfielders, Xavi and Iniesta.

You missed Bojan, born in Linyola, near Lleida, Catalunya.

Eric refuses to admit that Spain does indeed have its own style and always has. It was the red fury for decades, more balls than brains but able to win a Eurocup in 64 and lose a final in the early 80s, and now it is Barça midfield and ball control with talented striking up front. Even Real Madrid winning their first 5 European Cups was all Spanish and much more than Di Stefano and Puskas, that Spanish generation was great. But the influence, if any, in Spain in the late 50s and early 60s was more Hungarian than South American, so he is dead wrong there again.

As for Barça, we played with a majority of academy players, not just Spanish players, winning all six trophies in play last year, the first and only team ever to do so. Players that did not cost a dime to the club in transfer fees.

Pedro, who someone does not count, is the first player to score in all six competitions in a single year, all since August: Spanish supercup, European supercup (with the winner vs. Shaktar), Champions, League, Spanish cup (this season's version) and the crucial tying goal late in the World Club Cup final. One of the most prolific strikers in Europe since August. A Barcelona academy player.

We have also played with Jeffren, Thiago, Minuesa. That is a philosophy and a style and it happens to have given us the club with the best results in a single year in the history of football.

Eric, stop talking nonsense and just let it be that we should respect the South American leagues more in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Eric, stop talking nonsense and just let it be that we should respect the South American leagues more in Canada.

This is the only thing I agree with you about, the rest is just a series of wrong data that somebody gave you or you just chose to put together yourself.

I see, now is time for you to learn about soccer maybe? oh wait....they don't teach that in school.

I'm curious where you learned to be an arrogant jackass.

Because you do it quite well.

This is the only thing I agree with you about, the rest is just a series of wrong data that somebody gave you or you just chose to put together yourself.

However, considering you ignored my post, you know I'm right.;)

However, considering you ignored my post, you know I'm right.;)

I didn't ignore your post at all, as I said before, the roster is made of 21 players, check how many Spaniards in it, less than half, and I'm even counting Jeffrén as a Spaniard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_Barcelona_season_2009–10#Squad_information

quote:Originally posted by nolando

If anything I think Hart has to make a point of NOT playing the highest rated players by default unless they are prepared to play like all-stars, and League MVPs and Bundesliga snipers while wearing red and white.

I don't disagree with this point. All the playing staff, young and veteran alike, regardless of league and club pedigree need to be accountable. Unfortunately, there are never enough matches in the international calendar year (and we set the wooden spoon standard by playing precious few as it is) so that may determine whether or not Hart will roll the dice on more of his selections in the coming two and a half years of preparation prior to WCQ.

I didn't ignore your post at all, as I said before, the roster is made of 21 players, check how many Spaniards in it, less than half, and I'm even counting Jeffrén as a Spaniard.

And I count 4 South American and 1 Mexican, so I assume you agree that numbers are irrelevant as to whether Barca plays a South American style...

However, you asked me about the starting lineup being Spanish for the CL final, and I was only off by one player, who eventually made his way into the game.

Guest Jeffery S.

However, you asked me about the starting lineup being Spanish for the CL final, and I was only off by one player, who eventually made his way into the game.

Forget it, everytime he loses an argument or is even slightly challenged on a comment he changes the subject, or the terms, or the rules. But he will never risk coming out and saying what he does believe, that idea scares the hell out of him.

Is that the South American style he's talking about? As if such a thing even existed anymore.

Now the one ignoring the facts it's you, there were six starters but the roster is made of 21 players, not eleven. Also the fact that 1/4 of the roster is South American already shows the preference by the head coach. Also you have to consider the type of players the coach chooses when a team is formed. Don't forget that Guardiola was one of the few Spanish players who chose an experience as a player in Mexico, he played for Dorados de Sinaloa. Could be just a coincidence but some how I doubt it.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I am not an English teacher but I managed to learn the language in school.

In a country in which only 67% of the population speak English in the home with 15% of the population being monoglot in French and many first generation immigrants being far from fluent in either official language a comment like this is potentially highly divisive. The best way for people to avoid the spelling mistakes and minor typos, which can result in being on the receiving end of this type of post on here is probably to use Firefox rather than Internet Explorer. It has a spellchecker, which automatically highlights words that have been spelled incorrectly. The correct spelling is usually readily available after a right mouse click.

Forget it, everytime he loses an argument or is even slightly challenged on a comment he changes the subject, or the terms, or the rules. But he will never risk coming out and saying what he does believe, that idea scares the hell out of him.

Is that the South American style he's talking about? As if such a thing even existed anymore.

Jeffrey Jeffrey, I told you what I believe every time I write something here but you refuse to accept the facts.

For you to say that there isn't a South American style of playing the game, is the most ignorant comment you have made up to date, but of course the day is not over, I'm sure you'll come up with a more ridiculous one soon enough.

Now the one ignoring the facts it's you, there were six starters but the roster is made of 21 players, not eleven. Also the fact that 1/4 of the roster is South American already shows the preference by the head coach. Also you have to consider the type of players the coach chooses when a team is formed. Don't forget that Guardiola was one of the few Spanish players who chose an experience as a player in Mexico, he played for Dorados de Sinaloa. Could be just a coincidence but some how I doubt it.

No, I'm not denying the roster make up. We were specifically talking about the starting line up if you read the first post I made in this thread. It seems like you're the one ignoring that fact.

As for player preference, while a little less than 1/5 (you calculated that one wrong) of the current roster is South American, nearly 50% of the roster is Spanish. I think that shows a greater preference of Spanish players.

As for that last statement of Guardiola playing in Mexico, it made me lol. Sure, he played ten games during the tail end of his career there. That's nothing compared to the 10+ years he spent in Barcelona during his prime so I don't know what coincidence you are referring to.

Look what your doing to me Eric, making me defend Barcelona when I am not even a fan.[:I]

Your predicted well my friend. Truer words have never been spoken in this thread. However, I'm going try one more time and see what kind of excuse he's going to use next.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

By Eric's logic, Liverpool play a South American style because their first team squad contains two Brazilians and two Argentines with another Argentine to join in a couple of days.

Who are they on the verge of getting?

Archived