Interview with Carlos Rivas Jr.

Ian Kennett

I had the opportunity to send some questions to Carlos Rivas Jr. who currently plays in Chile's Primera League. I hope that this is informative and useful. Carlos was most supportive and helpful. Thanks, Carlos!

Hello Ian,

It is my pleasure to inform you about my Professional Soccer Career outside of Canada.

1) Please tell us about your current club in Chile, and how you became involved in the Chilean league.

The last team I signed with was with Universidad de Concepcion.  This team was and currently is in the first division league in Chile. I became involved in the Chilean Professional League when I was 19 years old. Prior to this I was in Mexico playing for the Cruz Azul Youth Division Team for two years. From Cruz Azul Mexico, I went to La Serena a first division team for a try out. I quickly made the team and began my professional soccer career.

Please tell us about your personal success in Chile (best position, progress, etc.) your season/success so far this year, and your goals for your club and yourself. 

I have a few personal successes in Chile.  In my first professional year with La Serena (2006) I was named the best center midfielder in Chile 4 times. In Iquique, which was the second professional team I played for in Chile in 2008, I had the honor to be coached by the best coach in Chile, Jose Sulantay (Awarded this title in 2008).  Iquique was a second division team who sought first division players to bring that club back to first division.  Jose Sulantay called me up to his team and without a doubt we made it to first division that year.  With La Universidad de Concepcion we were crowned champions for the Copa Chile (2009).

What do you see as the big differences in the way soccer players are developed/trained in Chile and Canada?

The difference between how players are developed Chile as opposed to Canada is that Chilean culture lives and breathes around soccer. Youth soccer players in Chile train everyday and have professional coaches coaching them all year round. In mostly every city in Chile there is a professional team where children are able to emulate and aspire to become a professional soccer player.

Who is your favourite player in the world, and why?

My favorite player is Sebastian Veron who is currently playing for Independiente in Argentina. The way he touches, sends longs balls and reads the game makes him one of the best center midfielders I have ever seen.

What is your favourite club, other than the one for which you play? 

My favorite club would have to be River Plate in Argentina.

You have played internationally for Canada, and are still young. What are your goals for your international career?

My goals for my career as a professional soccer player is to obviously bring Canada to a World Cup one day. Another goal of mine would be to sign with a team in the Europe.

Do you have any message for Canadian soccer fans who follow Canadians playing abroad?

I have one message : Please continue to support our youth players and our professional leagues/teams so players wouldn't have to leave Canada to become a professional soccer player.

Happy New Year and Thanks!

Carlos Adan Rivas Jr.

Thanks very much, Happy New Year, and the very best of luck to you, Carlos! 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for this and thanks to Rivas Jr as well.

Great interview and hopefully his vision comes true within the next decade. I really believe by 2020 their could be as many as 6-8 Canadian soccer teams in the top 2 divisions of soccer in the North American pyramid.

With Toronto, Vancouver and probably Montreal in the MLS and hopefully we can see more added to that down the road Ottawa? Plus in the second division I see cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Winnipeg, Regina, and maybe Hamilton or a maritime city like Halifax could support a Div. II team in the future after teams like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal create a solid foundation of soccer roots across Canada

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

Please tell us about your personal success in Chile (best position, progress, etc.) your season/success so far this year, and your goals for your club and yourself. 

In Iquique, which was the second professional team I played for in Chile in 2008, I had the honor to be coached by the best coach in Chile, Jose Sulantay (Awarded this title in 2008). 

What do you see as the big differences in the way soccer players are developed/trained in Chile and Canada?

The difference between how players are developed Chile as opposed to Canada is that Chilean culture lives and breathes around soccer. Youth soccer players in Chile train everyday and have professional coaches coaching them all year round. In mostly every city in Chile there is a professional team where children are able to emulate and aspire to become a professional soccer player.

Who is your favourite player in the world, and why?

My favorite player is Sebastian Veron who is currently playing for Independiente in Argentina. The way he touches, sends longs balls and reads the game makes him one of the best center midfielders I have ever seen.

Very good interview, at least we know that we have players in other parts of the world that we should be calling to our national team. How are the Norwegian, Danish or Finish pro leagues better than the Chilean pro league? there's no comparison in the quality of the play, but still our NMT coaches keep looking to Europe for talent, it's just incredible.

Some people here in the forum have repetitively said that Jose Sulantay should have been called to work with our program specially our youth, but obviously here we have an other case of job security in danger from our current national coaching staff which doesn't even come close to the knowledge or experience Sulantay has. I guess that's why we are where we are!!!

Verón plays for Estudiantes de la Plata, not Independiente and was recently voted best player in South America, just as Messi best in Europe and the world and Luis Suarez (Ajax) top scorer in Europe with 46 goals in 2009. One more proven fact that most of the best talent in the world is in South America and Europe has been benefiting from it since the beginning of the sport. Some times I wonder how would the top European clubs would perform without the South American players they have? just an honest question. Just like I ask myself how strong would the SA clubs would be if they didn't have to sell all their best players to Europe? I guess the answer is in the history books. Also the resent clubs world cup proved what I'm saying, Estudiantes had two foreigners in their club (two Uruguayans) compare to Barcelona's 13 foreigners in a 21 men roster.

Back to the topic, Rivas should be called to the next camp and Stephen Hart should start doing some real scouting work around the world specially in South America.

Guest Jeffery S.

He's not even second division Norway, or a League One sub. You can't call up a player like that, I mean, Chile wasn't even seeded in the World Cup draw, let's get serious.

And where was Norway ranked in the World Cup draw?

Still a ridiculous way to rank leagues. For example the Dutch team far outstrips the Dutch league.

I don't really know about the quality of the Chilean league, but with a camp coming up outside of a FIFA date I'd throw him some bait and give him a call up.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

He's not even second division Norway, or a League One sub. You can't call up a player like that, I mean, Chile wasn't even seeded in the World Cup draw, let's get serious.

Have you ever seen Rivas played at all?

It is very sad to see the ignorance and fanaticism you express with this comment Jeffrey. I can assure you that most teams from Spain or any other European country would not do better than middle of the table in most South American countries, of course I'm talking from the perspective that those European teams would have to play a whole season in South America, on the other hand I'm almost certain that a SA club would be amongst the top four of any EU league if they would play the complete season in those beautiful and perfect fields, with all the luxury those leagues have to offer.

You are the one who should be serious and honest with yourself, just look at the way it was before the massive emigration of SA players to EU. Almost every EU national team has a nationalized SA player on their squad, I don't see any SA country having an EU player in their squad. The first one that can make that happen is the Serbian Dejan Petkovic in Brazil.....but some how I doubt it. And just to make your response to this a bit more fan, please respond to this question, is Barcelona's style of play European or South American?

Pretty sure Jeffrey is being facetious...

Anyways, no need for outrage about Rivas not being called up to the MNT yet. He was a semi-regular for La Serena before dropping down to the second division to help Iquique win the 2nd division in '08. Last year he didn't make it on the field for U de Concepcion:

http://www.laudeconce.cl/index.php?option=com_joomleague&func=showPlayers&p=20&ttid=274&Itemid=147

Granted, the team plays mostly a 4-3-3 so there wasn't much PT to go around in the midfield. He may get his chance in the upcoming Apertura with the exits of Vargas, Aros and Laffatigue. Aros is the only mid out of that group, but losing their 2 top forwards might prompt them to switch to 4-4-2. If he can get on the field on a regular basis and make an impact he'd become worthy of a callup.

Isn't this Jamaican camp at least partially about trying out new faces? Where's the harm in at least trying out a guy like Rivas Jr. or Monsalve or hell even Haber even if they aren't playing in such a "prestigious" league like in Denmark or the Netherlands? I agree with what Erik has to say in regards to how we need to start looking south rather than east when it comes to how we want to shape our players and program. South American footy is much closer to the CONCACAF styles that we have to qualify against, so why not aim for as much influence from there as possible?

Eric

quote:there's no comparison in the quality of the play, but still our NMT coaches keep looking to Europe for talent, it's just incredible.

Ok, a guy like this would probably deserves a look but it's not like we have a lot of players playing in those leagues in South America. Like jpg75 has pointed out his résumé isn't that impressive to be honest.

Along the same lines, maybe Isidro Sánchez would be a good idea? He's bring a completely different skill set from most of our European players and one that might work well in CONCACAF.

He would figure to be of a higher quality than CRJ at this point? No idea how much he's playing but Puebla is a pretty solid club.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Along the same lines, maybe Isidro Sánchez would be a good idea? He's bring a completely different skill set from most of our European players and one that might work well in CONCACAF.

He would figure to be of a higher quality than CRJ at this point? No idea how much he's playing but Puebla is a pretty solid club.

Sanchez definitely deserves a longer look, based on the level of his club alone.

The Mexican league is better than MLS, and MLS starters are pretty much locks to at least get a decent look for Canada. I know he was in a couple of camps, and maybe he even got officially capped in WCQ at some point during the meaningless games after we were eliminated (I cannot remember at the moment), but I'd like to see him called up to a friendly or two this year.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Yes, Chile was not seeded, but hell I would be happy if Canada makes the W.C. even if we are not seeded. That is being serious!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Sanchez definitely deserves a longer look, based on the level of his club alone.

The Mexican league is better than MLS, and MLS starters are pretty much locks to at least get a decent look for Canada. I know he was in a couple of camps, and maybe he even got officially capped in WCQ at some point during the meaningless games after we were eliminated (I cannot remember at the moment), but I'd like to see him called up to a friendly or two this year.

Call him to Florida, for sure. He is similarly placed as Rivas jr (or Ornoch for that matter)...decent league and loads of potential, but not playing hardly at all - if I am reading this right Sanchez only took part in one first team game between July and Nov. He's still only 22, but it does bear mentioning.

http://mx.sports.yahoo.com/futbol/isidro-s%C3%A1nchez-13637-mx.html

Rudi, I think Sanchez played once for our U23s but that's it unless I am missing something.

So many taxi-squad-calibre players all over the world, way too few first team starters.

Remember when we thought we were heading towards a surplus and so many Canadians were starting and succeeding there for a little while? How quickly things change in only a couple of years.

^ Let's be realistic here, we're Canada not Chile or Denmark. Players who are not starters in their leagues can perfectly be starters in our MNT!!! many world cup squads have players who are not regulars in their teams, all of a sudden we're too good to do that? most MLS players would be bench wormers in Europe or South America anyway and many of our EU players in the MNT are bench wormers already, so let's not kid ourselves.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

And just to make your response to this a bit more fan, please respond to this question, is Barcelona's style of play European or South American?

Even though I agree with you for the most part, and share your sentiments towards Jeffrey, choosing Barcelona to criticize was a horrible example. 7 out of the 11 starters for them in the Champion's League final were Spanish, domestic players. They play Spanish football at it's very essence. Insinuating they play South American football just makes you look pretentious.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Even though I agree with you for the most part, and share your sentiments towards Jeffrey, choosing Barcelona to criticize was a horrible example. 7 out of the 11 starters for them in the Champion's League final were Spanish, domestic players. They play Spanish football at it's very essence. Insinuating they play South American football just makes you look pretentious.

Eric is upset with me ever since I suggested he was obsessed with Maradona's dick and what Diego had to say about it, and quite rightly. I should have just let him go at it alone.

I actually spent time on this board reporting La Serena games with Carlos Rivas for our Canadians Abroad, in case anyone has any doubts about whether I thought he was playing at a worthwhile level. That was a few years ago.

And in this in the end Eric and I agree this one thing, that there is a sense of discrimination in our program against certain types of leagues to play in and certain types of players, and even though a lot of that has broken down over the years, it is still there. Deliberate discrimination I don't know, maybe not, but obstinate ignorance leading to discrimination, I think so.

But who are those players who have been discriminated because they were playing in South America? The only guy who had any kind of success was Menezes.

I think it's more a question of numbers that discrimination. Canadians in South American leagues is a rarity so you can't expect us to have many option for call ups over there. While in Europe we have a lot of players. So when guys like Edgar, Ledgerwood, Ornoch to name a few, aren't called, we aren't talking about discrimination.

BTW, I'm all for giving Rivas a look, just like Dasovic did with Sanchez 2 yrs ago with the U-23.

Archived