Simeon Jackson wins player of the year

squizz1402635577

quote:Originally posted by masster

Just goes to show that the fans know so much more than the media in this country. How in the world did Ethan Gage make that list? Has the Voyageurs player of the year ever coincided with the CSA player of the year??

I know which award I put more weight on.

I'm confused. Are you disagreeing with the selection of Jackson as the winner? The fact that DeRo almost won? The fact that DeRo didn't win?

Let's post this list and study it hard:

FINAL LIST

Male players from the Men’s national team

1. Simeon Jackson (18.2)

2. Dwayne De Rosario (17.6)

3. Julian de Guzman (17.4)

4. Mike Klukowski (10.9)

5. Will Johnson (10.7)

6. Atiba Hutchinson (8.2)

7. Nevio Pizzolitto (7.5)

8. Ali Gerba (3.9)

9. Sean McKenna (2.3)

10. Ethan Gage (0.6)

10. Charles Gbeke (0.6)

10. Tomasz Radzinski (0.6)

Ok, Nevio Pizzolitto gets 7.5 votes for Canadian player of the year, how exactly? Are the Montreal media trying to be homerish douche bags?

Who the frigg is Sean McKenna?

How the hell did Ethan Gage get a vote?

RedNation Online was fortunate enough to speak with Jackson after receiving the award.

What are your thoughts on being named Canadian Player of the Year.

It is an honour to win the award and it is great to be recognized. The award was not even on my radar and it is a great surprise to be recognized.

How did it feel it to feel to nominated alongside some of your National Team teammates?

To even be nominated among that great group of players was a great surprise and to win was unexpected given that I was only recently capped by the Canadian Men's Senior Team.

You ply your trade at a Gillingham club that does not get a lot of media coverage in North America. Given that, was it a big surprise that you received this award?

It's an honour and it is a surprise for that reason. I know that League One does not get a lot of coverage in North America and that some of the other players nominated play in leagues that have higher profiles, so it is great to know that people have recognized the season that my teammates and I have had, as well as my performance with the National Team.

Does having this award on your resume help with raising your profile in Europe?

It definitely helps. It can only help my overall profile and the timing has been magnificent, given that we are coming up to the opening of the transfer window. It is something that the big clubs will notice and hear about, so it is a great honour. I do want to play at the highest level, but I am also focussed on Gillingham right now.

What are your thoughts on the rise in interest and the increase in coverage of soccer in North America.

It is crucial. The increase in interest that has coincided with with rise of Toronto FC and the MLS has been great for soccer in Canada. When I was growing up there wasn't really a pro team that I could look to and I had to go to Europe to further my career. Toronto FC and the MLS will be crucial for the development of young Canadian talent. Also, the profile of Toronto FC does play a big part in showing that Canada does have a lot of talent and that the National Team can definitely look towards achieving big things in the future.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Simeon_Jackson_Christine_Sinclair_Named_The_2009_Canadian_Players_of_the_Year_dec_18_09_news.shtml

1. Simeon Jackson (18.2)

2. Dwayne De Rosario (17.6)

3. Julian de Guzman (17.4)

4. Mike Klukowski (10.9)

5. Will Johnson (10.7)

6. Atiba Hutchinson (8.2)

7. Nevio Pizzolitto (7.5)

8. Ali Gerba (3.9)

9. Sean McKenna (2.3)

10. Ethan Gage (0.6)

10. Charles Gbeke (0.6)

10. Tomasz Radzinski (0.6)

What.. the...hell?

Top 6 ok... then?

Dejan Jakovic, Pat Onstad, Jamie Peters... hell DAVID MONSALVE

All had more noteworthy years than half the guys on that list. Sure we all LOVE De Guzman... but what did he do at the club level this past year? Play about 10 games? What did he do at the international level? Nothing special

The guys on our U20 list had better seasons than half these guys. Rob Friend had a really good year and he is back in the fold for Gladbach again where is he? Josh Simpson is having a terrific year in turkey!! Where is he?

Why did Ethan Gage, a guy who is still eligible for the U20 player of the year award for two years and played ten games get a vote?

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

^I would say so, its the CSA award. Otherwise there is a midfielder returning to his North England Club very soon, a Keeper in the South of England and a brother in Holland that might win next year.

You might think so but it is not stated anywhere as a criterion. As far as I am aware the only qualification is that the players nominated be Canadian, beyond that the reasons for nomination can be whatever the nominator wishes so it is wide open.

^ Farcical in your view perhaps because you don't agree with the process or the outcome.

If you don't like the process or the criteria lobby in the appropriate quarters for a change.

If there were to be changes made and the criteria tightened I'll wager there would be an outcry here that choice was being unfairly limited. In the eyes of some whatever the CSA does is wrong simply because its the CSA.

I trust you voted in the fan poll.

First, let me say that I voted for Simeon Jackson. Played for Canada, albeit in a more limited role this year, but as a Canadian, played an extremely crucial role in his club (Gillingham) being promoted and in my opinion one of the most important players in his team and league.

Having said that, here is the problem with the voting that I see and I agree with what Richard said. What is the criteria for the award? There are no official ground rules for what the media and coaches should be voting for. Do they need to be playing in Canada or North America. Do they need to be playing at the highest league possible, in which case, what do you consider the highest quality league? What do you put more weight on as a voter, club or country? or are they considered equal?

Some are confused with the selection of certain individuals (Gage, Pizzolito, etc). I would suggest that those are 3rd votes (as you voted for your top three) and some may have selected a local product for them to gain recognition. Perhaps the Whitecaps and Impact coaching who get votes felt those were the most important players on their team and wanted them recognized. It is a 50/50 split remember.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ Farcical in your view perhaps because you don't agree with the process or the outcome.

If you don't like the process or the criteria lobby in the appropriate quarters for a change.

If there were to be changes made and the criteria tightened I'll wager there would be an outcry here that choice was being unfairly limited. In the eyes of some whatever the CSA does is wrong simply because its the CSA.

I trust you voted in the fan poll.

How the CSA conduct their vote is irrelevant. They can conduct it, in any manner they wish.

Personally I put far more weighting in our own vote and I'm willing to bet if you asked the coach in private, he would agree with our selection.

Congrats to Jackson, a great young player. Hopefully he can transfer to the Championship.

Guys, I think we can relax about this one a little bit. I think it is a nice touch that the CSA have put together a vote to determine the best player for all of the NT's.

If I recall correctly, this is a relatively new procedure for the CSA, and I am glad they have kept up the tradition.

The voting criteria is obvious. Nominate the three best players eligible to represent Canada in FIFA competition that have achieved to an outstanding degree at either their club, or for Canada, or ideally for both.

Thus Simeon is an appropriate winner. Did big things with the Gills and also made a meaningful contribution to the nats.

Ali Gerba was Canada's most noted player at the GC, but struggled to make the same impact at MK Dons/TFC. Hence I feel fine about Jackson beating him out.

Dwayne De Rosario was an outstanding player for TFC, but chose not to participate with the NT at crucial times, again I feel that this kept him from winning the award.

And, yes, of course the inclusion of some of the USL boys is to allow media in Vancouver and Montreal to support their local players and move them up on the radar. Homerism? Yes. Big deal? No.

FWIW, I was asked to vote as a result of our GC coverage, and I chose Jackson as well. So I'm glad to see he won the award.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

It has now been corrected on the CSA website. Originally, it should have read Kevin McKenna.

Obviously.

Richard, how would you feel if they extended voting rights to 14 year olds and as a consequence the local Fascist Party representative was elected to represent your riding in parliament? Would you still feel the process had run its course?

Your logic escapes me. Player nomination and voting for the players of the year is restricted to 'accredited' journalists and certified coaches based on lists maintained by the CSA, within that it is wide open. How does this relate to 14 year olds and the Fascist Party?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Congratulations, Simeon....

I guarantee you how the names are selected on this list are selected in true Canadian fashion.....

Don't piss anyone off, represent EVERYONE. Hell....even Pizzolito being on the list is ridiculous.

Too true. I'm glad Simeon won. He has had a great year so have a few others (Kluk & Hutch) but he is a worthy winner. I wondered about some of the names on the list but your explanation works the best. Gage has potential as do some others but he is not in Simeon's league (yet, still developing). I would have placed Haber ahead.

The idea of "spread it around" and "every region has to be in" is just too Canadian.

Can we not just say... congratulations to Simeon Jackson, a talented young man who is committed to Canada and, in a month's time, may be plying his trade in the Premiership?

Isn't that what we -- as "Canadian soccer supporters", like the pretty logo says -- should be saying?

Does it really matter who finished in 7th place or whatever? Really?

quote:Originally posted by squizz

I'm confused. Are you disagreeing with the selection of Jackson as the winner? The fact that DeRo almost won? The fact that DeRo didn't win?

I'm disagreeing with most things about this award and I think this year as well as its history clearly show the ignorance of the soccer media/coaches in this country.

Compare the winners of the CSA award to the Voyageurs award:

2009 - CSA: Simeon Jackson, Voyageurs: Mike Klukowski (most likely)

2008 - CSA: Julian De Guzman, Voyageurs: Tomasz Radzinski

2007 - CSA: Dwayne De Rosario, Voyageurs: Julian De Guzman

2006 - CSA: Dwayne De Rosario, Voyageurs: Atiba Hutchinson

2005 - CSA: Dwayne De Rosario

To me, the fact that one player has never won both awards in the same calendar year is a very telling sign. Look at 2007 as the perfect example. Julian De Guzman was the MVP of our confederation's championship and yet is not the CSA player of the year. How is this possible?

Simeon Jackson may turn out to be a fine player, but he spent half of 2009 playing in a country's 4th division. Because it is England and we got to watch him on Setanta a couple of times, the thinking goes he must be great. Do you think a player having just as much success playing in the second or third division of any other country would have won the award?

Dwayne De Rosario has won the CSA award 3 times and finished second this year despite not suiting up for the national team once in 2009. The fact this can happen because a player is visable in MLS and this year for TFC is a joke.

You also say..."Does it really matter who finished in 7th place or whatever?" and I say yes. The fact Nevio Pizzolitto finished that high and that Ethan Gage even made the list make a mockery of the award and discredit the winner. How can you take the results seriously when you see stuff like this?

I am proud of what we have done with our award and I think it is a far better indicator of who has been deserving in any year.

Archived