Jamaica - Canada Jan 31

Edgar

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I wish there was a place for Occean - he's been out our picture so long that some of the newer V's don't even know who is even is. Shame...

True. I knew him by name only until his brief sub appearance in mexico last WCQ.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For crying out loud, Paul. Why even write that article? I am from BC and if no BC-born players are selected than the question is "why has BC soccer not done more to develop good enough players." Choose the best damn players for the NT and get on with it. Enough of this Canadianism to "represent all equally." I know he wasn't saying there MUST be representation from all areas. But, why even bring it up!?

Frankly, the "scouting" done in BC and how they provide top-level training (as I have learned now, Sask is the same) is a complete joke.

DDR doesn't play up front for us, Jackson is essentially completely unproven for us, and Gerba seems unable to take his conditioning seriously.

Obviously OO is no Friend, but I think he could help - at least we could give him a decent chance to try. He's in his prime, healthy again, scoring goals at a half-decent European side.

I think this paragraph is important:

TFC will also benefit, finally reaping some of the benefits of having good Canadian players on their squad. While international experience develops a players technical and tactical abilities, it can also develop confidence. Young players in particular can be extremely fragile. That’s why exposing them to this environment – early in the process of qualifying for a World Cup – is so important.

I couldn't agree more.

It's good for all concerned.

DDR doesn't play up front for us, Jackson is essentially completely unproven for us, and Gerba seems unable to take his conditioning seriously.

Obviously OO is no Friend, but I think he could help - at least we could give him a decent chance to try. He's in his prime, healthy again, scoring goals at a half-decent European side.

I know DeRo usually plays out wide for us but Canada usually only plays with one forward so OO would probably have to fight for a spot out wide unless we change our formation. I also forgot to throw Iain Hume in there

Yup, since we play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 (however you view the wingers) we only really use one striker up top. The striker that fits best up top at the moment is Gerba and he takes his chances... but I think we should be setting our sights higher.. the guy up top obviously has to be a powerful striker and protect the ball. Jackson, Hume and De Rosario aren't really well suited for this role and thus they are better out wide for Canada.

Same for Hoillet WHEN he chooses Canada.

So two guys who do fit the profile up top are also our two highest level playing strikers.. Friend and Occean. The problem is both have a combined 4 goals for Canada in a combined 41 caps. Now I think we've come to the conclusion that Friend needs a partner to succeed but what about Occean?

I agree with others here its time to bring him back into the fold, he has a higher ceiling than Gerba imo. And if he doesn't succeed so what? Gerba is the man still. Better to solve these problems now than 2 games into the 3rd round when we've gone 0-2.

Now I'd just like to question something for a second... Carlos Rivas jr. has anyone read his wiki? Now I know its just wiki but if its all true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Rivas_Godoy

then why hasn't he been given a look before?!?! This guy WANTS to play for Canada even through living in Chile and his father being a WC footballer for Chile. He seems rated pretty highly and young... fits the bill perfectly. Guess nobody had seen him play, because id imagine a star in the Chilean 2nd division would be better than a star in the USL. Anyways it doesn't matter hes in the Primera Division and called up to the national team. UNREAL to have him! Really makes you proud to hear about patriotism like that and guys not losing touch with their roots and despite the bad stories there are many proud canucks out there. Who knows maybe he'll become a regular on the NT and TFC will make a move

I got a lot of love for Chilean Canadians in our national team picture, largely on account of how much I hated playing against their Dads back in the 80's.

For crying out loud, Paul. Why even write that article? I am from BC and if no BC-born players are selected than the question is "why has BC soccer not done more to develop good enough players." Choose the best damn players for the NT and get on with it. Enough of this Canadianism to "represent all equally." I know he wasn't saying there MUST be representation from all areas. But, why even bring it up!?

Frankly, the "scouting" done in BC and how they provide top-level training (as I have learned now, Sask is the same) is a complete joke.

Paul James wrote:

One aspect of the squad that is quite interesting is the apparent regional disparity between Ontario and British Columbia. Not one player selected is listed as emanating from British Columbia. There is no reason to suspect the problem is with Stephen Hart in regards to any kind of bias. Coaching at the national team level is hard enough without all the obstacles you have to overcome. Just to get eleven reasonable players on the field at anyone time is often a challenge. Being biased to any one area is just not in the equation. An ideological approach may lead to a few differences in selections, but generally most coaches in Stephen’s position would select the same group of players.

In the past there has always been a fair representation of players from B.C. on national team squads. Not one representative on this current squad is disconcerting and has to point to some development issues within B.C. that should be addressed. Certainly the Whitecaps inclusion into the MLS will help, but provincially there are some questions that have to be asked.

Isn't he implying that the blame lies with the BCSA?

Jakovic at centre back please - He's the first ball-playing centre back Canada has had in forever. He was our best player at the Gold Cup this summer. Never mind the future he is the best centre back we have right now and we need to keep him at centre back. There are plenty of other players who can play at that defensive midfielder position

Jakovic at centre back please - He's the first ball-playing centre back Canada has had in forever. He was our best player at the Gold Cup this summer. Never mind the future he is the best centre back we have right now and we need to keep him at centre back. There are plenty of other players who can play at that defensive midfielder position

Try making a lineup... see how it works.

First try at posting on the new board, and with the spiffy new lineup tool.

[ATTACH]13[/ATTACH]

Hmmm, why is the image attachment displayed so small?

After you insert it, hover over it and a pencil will appear, click full size.

I will see if there is a default setting so we can skip that step.

I think Serioux is a good playing center back, not as good as Jakovic but still remember him putting the moves on Brazil hahah

Archived