Jamaica - Canada Jan 31

Edgar

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Surprisingly strong squad. I'm looking forward to it. It's a shame though, with the 11 days in Florida, that we couldn't play Haiti or someone similar in the hood.

You kidding? Think they got time to play soccer?

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Here is the lineup

http://www.24thminute.com/2010/01/canada-v-jamaica-line-up.html

I like it. I think this team will perform better compared to the one that played in Poland and Macedonia. The large domestic content will bring the team together as a cohesive unit and establish a fighting spirit amongst the players. A tactic Canadian hockey has always used.

I don't expect that this team will be competitive for a second with a Jamaica 'A' team, but it'll be an interesting test.

Also, a couple interesting tactical choices. Ademolu and Johnson are both speedy winger-cum-strikers, whereas Ali Gerba is the big, fat, stationary, deadly finisher that we all know and love. With De Rosario and de Guzman running affairs down the middle, this could be a real speed-kills attack, with the two Des roaming, Johnson/Ademolu laying back, and Gerba hovering in wait to slam something home.

By contrast, the defense hasn't got the same athleticism, aside from Hainault, but lots of strength in Cann, Sidra, and to an extent Young Nana.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

I don't expect that this team will be competitive for a second with a Jamaica 'A' team, but it'll be an interesting test.

Also, a couple interesting tactical choices. Ademolu and Johnson are both speedy winger-cum-strikers, whereas Ali Gerba is the big, fat, stationary, deadly finisher that we all know and love. With De Rosario and de Guzman running affairs down the middle, this could be a real speed-kills attack, with the two Des roaming, Johnson/Ademolu laying back, and Gerba hovering in wait to slam something home.

By contrast, the defense hasn't got the same athleticism, aside from Hainault, but lots of strength in Cann, Sidra, and to an extent Young Nana.

It wont be a Jamaica A team, it will be a Jamaica team just like ours. They will have a lot of MLS and domestic players. We should be able to handle them.

They wont be able to put together a midfield close to ours and our defense will be all good MLS players. 5 good MLS defenders, 4 MLS midfielders plus some decent European players and question marks and don't forget Hemming. Then up front and in goal we are pretty questionable.

Canada's talent keeps growing and growing. Who knows how good this Wassey is... he might be a starter vs. Jamaica or even better than some players we consider Canada players such as Issey

Bob, i think you've got it backwards. Hainault is probably one of the least athletic defenders we have and Sidra stands only 5'7". Yes, Cann is a big strong guy and so is Nana. I'd say Nana is probably the most athletic defender on the roster.

[Removed after realizing embarrassing player position error [B)] ]

This is purely an individual player test for everyone called (of course moreso for the young guys), so I expect every single player called will see action on the 31st. Yes there is an argument for someone with experience like Lars, but this whole camp is experimental (THANK GOD!!) so I don't see why they shouldn't have two brand-spanking-new keepers to try out. Isn't Pat Onstad helping with this camp? I thought someone mentioned that at some point a little while back?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I don't see why they wouldn't go with someone like Bourgault. This is purely an individual player test for everyone called (of course moreso for the young guys), so I expect every single player called will see action on the 31st. Why call someone like Lars or even Stama when a guy like Bourgault can finally get a taste of Sr. international playing time? Yes there is an argument for someone with experience like Lars, but this whole camp is experimental (THANK GOD!!) so I don't see why they shouldn't have two brand-spanking-new keepers to try out. Isn't Pat Onstad helping with this camp? I thought someone mentioned that at some point a little while back?

Bourgault is not a GK. Or am I reading your post wrong?

Yes. I know that. But I believe the post that I quoted above is seriously suggesting we missed an opportunity to give him a crack at GK for our senior team.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Bob, i think you've got it backwards. Hainault is probably one of the least athletic defenders we have and Sidra stands only 5'7". Yes, Cann is a big strong guy and so is Nana. I'd say Nana is probably the most athletic defender on the roster.

Sidra is short but strong like bull. I have no idea how he wound up being a central defender training in Germany with his size, but seriously, the guy is a little pocket of hell unto himself.

Hainault I have high opinions of. I wouldn't say that he's a real burner - by comparing him to the attack I was being a bit unclear - but he's efficient, conserves energy well, and has good closing speed. Next to Jakovic and Klukowski I think he's our quickest regular defensive player.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

It wont be a Jamaica A team, it will be a Jamaica team just like ours. They will have a lot of MLS and domestic players. We should be able to handle them.

Jamaica's actually sent a decent lineup. They have a few uncapped guys, but mostly youngsters who they're getting a look at and who may not see more than a couple minutes. Luton Shelton is there, as are Jason Morgan, Jermaine Taylor, and Shavar Thomas. Their biggest absences are Donovan Ricketts, Demar Phillips, Rodolph Austin, and some of their old defenders who aren't going to feature much if any longer anyway.

I'd argue that, while not their best side, it's closer to their best than Canada's is.

Sidra is short but strong like bull. I have no idea how he wound up being a central defender training in Germany with his size, but seriously, the guy is a little pocket of hell unto himself.

Hainault I have high opinions of. I wouldn't say that he's a real burner - by comparing him to the attack I was being a bit unclear - but he's efficient, conserves energy well, and has good closing speed. Next to Jakovic and Klukowski I think he's our quickest regular defensive player.

Jamaica's actually sent a decent lineup. They have a few uncapped guys, but mostly youngsters who they're getting a look at and who may not see more than a couple minutes. Luton Shelton is there, as are Jason Morgan, Jermaine Taylor, and Shavar Thomas. Their biggest absences are Donovan Ricketts, Demar Phillips, Rodolph Austin, and some of their old defenders who aren't going to feature much if any longer anyway.

I'd argue that, while not their best side, it's closer to their best than Canada's is.

Sidra has been a right back and right midfielder in Germany I believe.. never heard that he trained at CB.

I think we can get a result there with the team we've brought

Reggae Boyz roster:

http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/146246/page/1#Post146246

Goalkeepers

Dwayne Miller (Harbour View)

Duwayne Kerr (Portmore United)

Andre Blake (Glenmuir High, Sporting Central)

Defenders

Jermaine Taylor (St Georges SC)

Shavar Thomas (Philadelphia Union)

Dicoy Williams (Harbour View)

Demar Stewart (Chengdu Blades)

Adrian Reid (Portmore United)

Linval Lewis (Sporting Central)

Rafe Wolfe (Ferencvaros)

Midfielders

Jason Morrison (Ferencvaros)

Richard Edwards (Harbour View)

Nicholi Findlayson (Waterhouse)

Je-Vaughn Watson (Sporting Central)

Kenardo Forbes (Waterhouse)

Lovel Palmer (Harbour View)

Keammar Daley (Tivoli Gardens)

Andre Steele (Harbour View)

Romena Bowie (Manchester High, Mike Gully FC)

Marvin Morgan (St George's College)

Ricardo Morris (St James High, Village United)

Forwards

Omar Cummings (Colorado Rapids)

Luton Shelton (Valerenga, NORWAY)

Devon Hodges (Rivoli United)

Navion Boyd (Tivoli Gardens)

Christopher Waugh (Wolmer's Boys)

Allan Ottey (St James High, Village United)

Peter Keyes (Boys' Town)

Guest ccopela

One good thing about the Jamaica roster is that O'Brian White is not on it, which leaves a chance that he may one day decide to play for Canada. Wonder if he got a call at all from them? Not sure he has citizenship to play for Canada yet.

Im sure Jamaica would have extended a call to O'Brian White as would have Canada. But he probably hasn't made up his mind and if he has he might not want to have his debut vs. the country he turned down.

Looking at Jamaica's roster it isn't very impressive. They have two good strikers but Canada definitely has the better midfield and defense we should be controlling the ball this match and limiting opportunities.

We all hope that we'll be able to run the match, but it's on their turf, so they'll have the immediate momentum at kick-off. Let's hope that we can keep from conceding within the first 20, then we should be able to establish ourselves fully and hopefully work them like we did in the Gold Cup. I have to admit I'm nervous about the fact they'll have Cummings up top. He is lethal, and probably only Nana would be able to keep up to him.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Bourgault is not a GK. Or am I reading your post wrong?

Ed, I'm gunning for you now...one slip up...just one slip up and BAM! ;)

Archived