Jamaica - Canada Jan 31

Edgar

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nolando

meh - hope Monsalve gets at least a half

I'm not targetting you Nolando but I don't like how we, the V's, speak. I think we should say: I hope Monsalve proves during those 2 training weeks that he is worthy of playing at least an half against Jamaica. [:P]

Well, I hope that's how Hart will work, have those guys compete and prove themselves!

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Wow good move for Montreal and without having to give up anything really.

It's even better than that, since Mtl get's Hemming and in return they also loan PR Mayard, one of their most promising youngster, to the Battery so he gets USL2 minutes.

I just wonder if that call up will mean Hemming will miss the Portugal training camp that Mtl has on its schedule.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

It's even better than that, since Mtl get's Hemming and in return they also loan PR Mayard, one of their most promising youngster, to the Battery so he gets USL2 minutes.

I just wonder if that call up will mean Hemming will miss the Portugal training camp that Mtl has on its schedule.

No. The trip to Portugal is scheduled for Feb. 21st. The Canada camp and game will end on January 31st.

CSA Release

Canada announces roster for January match against Jamaica

Canada's men's national soccer team announced its roster today for the upcoming camp in USA and Jamaica. The camp runs 18 January through 1 February and includes the international friendly match against Jamaica on 31 January. Coach Stephen Hart has selected 17 players for this first camp of the 2010 season.

"We brought in many young players for a number of reasons," said head coach Stephen Hart. "We want them to experience an international senior camp and become familiar with our methods. We also want to observe them in an international match."

Canada's lineup features players whose clubs are currently on a winter break. A number of players were not available for selection because of ongoing club seasons in Europe as well as winter tournaments during the break. Canada is expected to add another goalkeeper to its lineup before the start of camp.

Of those 17 players selected, six of them come from Canadian clubs - five from Toronto FC of MLS and one from the Impact de Montréal of the newly-formed USSF-2 NASL division. Beyond the 11 players on North American clubs, there are five players from European clubs and one player from a South American club.

Of note, four players have received their first call to the full national team: goalkeeper David Monsalve of FC Inter Turku, defender Nana Attakora of Toronto FC, midfielder Carlo Rivas of Club Deportivo Universidad de Concepción, and midfielder Massih Wassey of FC Schalke 04 II.

Canada's national team will be in Ft. Lauderdale, FL from 18-29 January and then in Kingston from 29 January to 1 February. Coach Hart hopes to see as many players as possible in the 31 January match against Jamaica.

"Jamaica at home is very strong, as it demonstrated two years ago in FIFA World Cup Qualifiers," said coach Hart. "The opportunity to view our players in such a match is ideal."

In 2008, Jamaica won all three of its home matches in the semi-final stage of FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, including a 3:0 win over Canada. Like Canada, Jamaica did not advance beyond the so-called CONCACAF "Group of Death". In 2009, Canada and Jamaica again faced each other as group opponents, this time at the 2009 CONCACAF

Gold Cup in Carson, CA. Canada won that match 1:0 on a goal by Ali Gerba. This time, Canada advanced to the quarter-final stage while Jamaica failed to advance beyond the group phase.

CANADA

G- Monsalve, David | FIN / FC Inter Turku | Brampton, ON, CAN

D- Attakora, Nana | CAN / Toronto FC | North York, ON, CAN

D- Cann, Adrian | DEN / Esbjerg fB | Thornhill, ON, CAN

D- Hainault, André | USA / Houston Dynamo | Hudson, QC, CAN

D- Hemming, Tyler | CAN / Impact de Montréal | London, ON, CAN

D- Sidra, Eddy | GER / FC Energie Cottbus | Edmonton, AB, CAN

D/M- Jakovic, Dejan | USA / DC United | Etobicoke, ON, CAN

D/M- Jazic, Ante | USA / Chivas USA | Bedford, NS, CAN

D/M- Serioux, Adrian | CAN / Toronto FC | Scarborough, ON, CAN

M- Ribeiro, Antonio | USA / San Jose Earthquakes | Montréal, QC, CAN

M- Rivas, Carlo | CHI / Club Deportivo Universidad de Concepción | Toronto, ON CAN

M- Wassey, Massih | GER / FC Schalke 04 | Calgary, AB, CAN

M- de Guzman, Julian | CAN / Toronto FC | Scarborough, ON, CAN

M- De Rosario, Dwayne | CAN / Toronto FC | Scarborough, ON, CAN

F- Johnson, Will | USA / Real Salt Lake | Toronto, ON, CAN

F- Gerba, Ali | CAN / Toronto FC | Montréal, QC, CAN

F- Ademolu, Stephen | LTU / FK Ekranas | Windsor, ON, CAN

Head of delegation / Chef de délégation : Steve Reed

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Stephen Hart

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Tony Fonseca

Goalkeeper coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Paul Dolan

Video Coordinator / Coordinateur de vidéo : Vic Mendes

Manager / Gérant : Morgan Quarry

Equipment Manager / Gérant des équipements : Ryan Bedic

Doctor / Docteur : Dr. John Philpott

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Garret Kusch

Physiotherapist / Physiothérapeute : Dave Foley

I guess that's it, it says there are 17 players selected and there are 17 names on the list. Probably one of the U23 goalies will get the call up to the Sr. team. Hart will be in Florida for the last few days of the U23 camp, probably to scout the youngsters.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Nice to see the young German-Canadian kid from Schalke's reserves get a look!

Yeah, he might end up being a gem in the rough. And on a positive note it shows we're atleast a more attractive option then Afghanistan! :D

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Some news faces there and some people we haven't seen in a while.

Rivas

Ademolu

Jazic

Ribeiro

Sidra

Massih

We're not going Brazil quite yet. That last one should be Wassey. :)

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I guess that's it, it says there are 17 players selected and there are 17 names on the list. Probably one of the U23 goalies will get the call up to the Sr. team. Hart will be in Florida for the last few days of the U23 camp, probably to scout the youngsters.

I hope that a few of the players that did well in the u-23 camp will be called in to national team camp. Couldn't hurt to add 4 or 5 guys to the camp and have them see what it's like in the men's team camp. I'm also curious to see how the fellow from S. America plays.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I get the distinct sense that the CSA had some difficulty getting certain players released by their clubs for this camp.

Absolutely. In terms of players in Germany, both Bundesliga 1 and 2 get going next weekend, ruling out up to 6 players (Friend, Stalteri, McKenna, Straith, Ledgerwood, Bourgault).

The lower leagues remain dark until February so the callup of Wassey makes sense. They could have asked Riley O'Neil as well I suppose.

I am looking forward to seeing Wassey, an attacking central mdfielder, not a commodity we are overloaded with.

Archived