Jamaica - Canada Jan 31

Edgar

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by yomurphy1

Why bring in a keepers that have no future for the MNT? Rather than bringing in Sutton, Djekanovic, or Onstad we should bring in a U-20 keeper or maybe Fernandes.

Fernandes can't play for us unless 1- he wants to play for us 2- We have the required paperwork sent to FIFA. Not an option at the moment.

To answer your question. First, because going into a camp with 2 uncapped/unstable keepers would be a mistake IMO. Bring a more experienced guy to help the younger one even if the older might not be there in 2012. Second, because we need results in order to keep a good position in the FIFA rankings for the 2012 WCQ draw. So, pwe need to balance 2 things here, 1- developping our young prospect 2- but getting some good results at the same time. That's why I wouldn't only bring 2 keepers with almost no pro and MNT experience.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

^ Is he still on Porto's books or did they let him go? I'm probably still bitter over the snub in 2007. I wouldn't lose any sleep if he never played for us. In fact I would love it if he came crawling back and Hart told him to FO.

Vitoria is on loan from Porto to SC Covilha for this season. He has played in 11 league games (10 starts) recording 1 goal and 5 Yellow cards and sits 7th on the team with 871 minutes. He's also played in 3 Cup games (3 starts).

The Liga Vitalis has played 13 rounds so Vitoria has played in almost all of his teams games. I'm thinking he looks like a decent prospect at this point in time.

http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador/steven_vitoria/2009_2010/ficha/139/default/38502

http://www.zerozero.pt/edicao.php?id_edicao=8782

Any MLS drafted canucks should get a look (Teal Bunbury).

Don't forget Antonio Ribiero also!

Keepers: Monsalve, Stamatopolous, ??? (Street?)

Defenders: Hainault, Jakovic, Attakora, Williams, Serioux, Arango?, Suprenant, P.Nakajima-Farran (I think its time to let Jazic go bring in those two young left backs who are on break)

Midfielders: Johnson, I.Nakajima Farran, Bernier, Hutchinson, De Rosario, De Guzman, Ribiero, Harmse, Gage

Strikers: Gerba, Haber, Bunbury, Occean

Are these players available??: German players would give us a huge boost, Simpson (Turkey)

Looks like we'll have a shortage of left backs for this camp. Also if some of those guys listed aren't available might wanna look at Gala, Edwini-Bonsu and Davies to fill in.

We'll actually be able to field a really solid team, stronger than what Jamaica will be able to field with all their english players (literally haha) missing. Jamaica will probably be very organized as their team will feature many domestic league players

Djekanovic really?

Not that it precludes him from being an effective keeper, but he is pretty damn short. Wikipedia lists him at 6'1", but he's probably 2 inches shorter than that. I stood beside him and talked to him once and I'm 6'1" and he was obviously shorter than myself.

Height isn't everything, but do you think it's a coincedence that the best shot-stopping goalkeepers always seem to be 6'3" or taller?

So let's say this one is strictly for NA based players (I'm counting Haber as NA based even though he's over in jolly ole England right now with WBA). Would people be opposed to us fielding a very young squad with only a few experienced players (JDG, DeRo, perhaps Onstad or Sutts, etc...) thrown in for experience sake?

We'd probably lose with such a young and inexperienced squad, but it would send a hell of a message to the young up and comers that we'll be looking to them in the not so distant future.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

So let's say this one is strictly for NA based players (I'm counting Haber as NA based even though he's over in jolly ole England right now with WBA). Would people be opposed to us fielding a very young squad with only a few experienced players (JDG, DeRo, perhaps Onstad or Sutts, etc...) thrown in for experience sake?

We'd probably lose with such a young and inexperienced squad, but it would send a hell of a message to the young up and comers that we'll be looking to them in the not so distant future.

Hart implied last week on his interview with Dobson that he would be trying new things, so maybe he'll go the route you are suggesting.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

He would need to be a citizen first. Right now he is a Jamaican with permanent resident status in both the US and Canada.

DeRo's said it's his personal mission to get OB to play for the CMNT.

We'll see if he has any luck...

FWIW, OB is considered a domestic for TFC...

In any case, I'm just excited that the CMNT are getting a game!

The CSA confirm the match against Jamaica:

Canadian men to open 2010 season against Jamaica

The Canadian Soccer Association has confirmed its men's national team will open its 2010 season with an international friendly match against CONCACAF opponent Jamaica. Canadian head coach Stephen Hart will take the national team to Kingston, Jamaica for the friendly date on 31 January at the National Soccer Stadium.

"This camp provides me with the ideal opportunity to see some of our players that are on the winter break from their club season," said Canadian head coach Stephen Hart. "We will also be provided with a good international test as Jamaica has proved to be a formidable opponent within CONCACAF in recent years."

The Canadian team will meet in Fort Lauderdale, FL on 18 January to prepare for the 31 January match. Head coach Hart will draw mostly on players whose teams are on a winter break, including those players in North America and northern Europe.

Canada and Jamaica are familiar foes that have faced each other five times since 2006. The two sides most recently faced each other in Carson, CA for the opening match of the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup, a 1:0 Canada win en route to a quarter-final finish in the biennial confederation championship.

In 2008, the two sides faced each other in the CONCACAF semi-final stage, a "group of death" that eliminated both Canada and Jamaica. Both sides are now forging forward on the road to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil under the direction of new head coaches.

Canada has always found Jamaica a tough place to play. Canada's away record in Jamaica is one win, three draws and three losses in seven matches played, including an 0:3 loss on 19 November 2008. Canada still holds the all time head-to-head advantage with a record of seven wins, six draws, and three losses against Jamaica.

Canada is hoping for a successful 2010 season. Of note, Canada plans two home matches in early September, with venues and opponents to be named at a later date.

With such a long time between games, the question is, will Hart use this as a chance to bring in a bunch of new faces or use it as a rare chance to get at least half of the core together? Pity we always have to choose.

With all the comments coming from Hart about lack of depth, wouldn't this summer be a good chance for a B Camp a la the Frank Yallop Experience in Vancouver?

It's time to retire some players that won't be around for 2014.

Radz, Sutton, KStam, DeRo, Stalteri, Hastings, Bernier, Serioux, and Hirschfeld possibly even Friend, Imhof, Gerba, Klukowski and Mckenna.

basically if your over 30 don't expect a call anytime soon.

We should be taking 2014 very seriously. 2014, 2018 are things CSA should be thinking about now. They will both deifnitely be good shots for us if we start to get these young guys ready and capped.

We have a strong group of young players we could mold into a quality squad that could get out of qualifying stages in the CONCACAF if the proper steps are taken by the CSA.

Archived