Jamaica - Canada Jan 31

Edgar

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Boyz-off-to-flyer

JAMAICA’S Reggae Boyz will kick off their 2014 World Cup campaign with a friendly international against Canada at the National Stadium on Sunday, January 31.

Burrell, also a member of the Jack Warner-led CONCACAF Executive Committee, explained that the deal with the Canadians has a reciprocal element where the Boyz are due to travel to Canada for a return match in 2010 or 2011, whichever is more convenient for both associations.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also this:

quote:

“We’ll have the strongest team possible as we aim to give a good showing to home fans who have not seen their team perform on home turf for a spell, plus we want to make a positive start to our Brazil campaign,” said the successful businessman who operates the Captain’s Bakery and Grill, a major sponsor of local football leagues.

Captain Phillip perhaps ;)

Would be nice to see a mix of the North American vets and some of the available young guns for this one (and the camp):

GK:

- Monsalve (should be available right?)

- Wagenaar (given his lack of action, maybe we can pry him away from Falkirk)

D:

- Attakora

- Hainault

- Jakovic

M:

- De Guzman

- Johnson

- De Rosario

F:

- Gerba

Those more in the know with the North American boys can fill in the blanks for me...

Hmmm... great news. The CSA still have on their web site that they will start 2010 with a camp in the United Arab Emirates. I wonder if that has now been scrapped?

Maybe their are two camps?.. one for the European based players and one for the North American based players.

"Canada Previews 2010 Schedule" on pg 3 of their Bootroom flyer.

http://tinyurl.com/yfxqjto

quote:Originally posted by rdroze

And now we get a friendly on a non-FIFA date? Wow. Who is this organization and what have they done with the CSA?

Also this: Canada "will commence a one-week camp in Fort Lauderdale before departing for Jamaica for the game".

I will really believe they have changed when I find out that the team is flying to Jamaica, rather than taking the ferry.

but seriously, what a good chance to get our NA players a game. That is THREE friendlies in 3 months (and with Christmas and all, December hardly counts)

Hmmm......

---------------Hirchfield---------------

Stalteri----Jakovic----Hainuant----Jazic

Bernier---De Guzman--Hutchinson---Johnson

-------------Gerba--DeRosario--------------

Bench:

Attakora

Serioux

Haber(if not at West Brom by then)

Nakajima

Occean

Gage

Monslave

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Here's a few players I would like to see:

Keepers:

Monsalve

????? (Djekanovic, Sutton or even Onstad)

Hainault

Jakovic

Nana

Serioux

Cann

Ribeiro

Hutchinson

Bernier

Issey

DeRo

JDG

Johnson

Gage

Gerba

Haber

T. Bunbury (why not?)

Why bring in a keepers that have no future for the MNT? Rather than bringing in Sutton, Djekanovic, or Onstad we should bring in a U-20 keeper or maybe Fernandes.

I also won't mind bringing in Vitoria as his chance of playing for Portugal is pretty slim now.

quote:Originally posted by yomurphy1

Why bring in a keepers that have no future for the MNT? Rather than bringing in Sutton, Djekanovic, or Onstad we should bring in a U-20 keeper or maybe Fernandes.

I also won't mind bringing in Vitoria as his chance of playing for Portugal is pretty slim now.

I would like to see Zach Kalthoff who was our keeper in WC in 2007

quote:Originally posted by yomurphy1

In this case i'd say it's:

1) simply a matter of who we can wall within the region.

2) giving youth some support with vet experience. You need to give the younger players enough time to integrate into a system (especially if we are talking about someone like Gage or Monsalve who are not very far along in their careers). Put too many young players on the field at once and we'd simply be throwing them to the sharks.

3) might just be for cover, they might not even play.

Other thoughts:

- Martin Nash and Kevin Harmse as cover?

- Olivier Occean if Norway is on break

I certainly hope that Hoilett is at least contacted for this one. I'm a little nervous he'll be a name that appears for the Jamaican squad, so it'd be such a massive win if he comes out in our red and white.

I assume that we probably won't see Simeon or many of the other Euro based players for this one. Could we see a return of DeRo and Jimmy B? I expect Johnson, Hainault, Jakovic, Nana, and maaaybe Gerba to be there. Why not give Monsalve a shot in goal seeing as how his season is done?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

I certainly hope that Hoilett is at least contacted for this one. I'm a little nervous he'll be a name that appears for the Jamaican squad, so it'd be such a massive win if he comes out in our red and white.

I keep envisioning some old-pro-wrestling-esque scene where he comes out in the Jamaican colours but then, right before the opening whistle, rips off that shirt to reveal a Canada kit.

I assume Jackson won't be called (club commitments) but it'd be interesting to see what kind of reaction he'd get. (Similar to the warm welcome we'd give, say, Asmir Begovic, I imagine.)

I wonder if canada3000 will come out of the woodwork for this one.

Archived