More new young Canadians in MLS for 2010?

BearcatSA

With the emergence Canadian rookies in MLS last year, I wonder if anyone has heard of any information or even rumours of other Canadians getting linked to MLS teams for next year? I'm thinking that guys like Johnson, Jakovic, Hainault, Attakora, and even an older "rookie" like Ribeiro might make clubs start to look at other Canadian options who are plying their trade elsewhere. On the other side of the equation, would some of these guys want to give up the paycheck they are earning playing reserves in Europe in return for more opportunities for first team football? With a new team in the mix, I'm hoping we'll get to see some more young Canadians force their way onto American-based MLS rosters.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Was that the case with Johnson, Jakovic, and Hainault?

Essentially, yes.

Jakovic was blacklisted after receiving a "0" rating in one of his games.

Johnson was told by Heerenveen that they were letting his contract expire, then they changed their minds and re-signed him, only to loan him to De Graaschap for the next season. His contract expired and there apparently were no other offers.

Hainault was sent to Sparta on a half-season loan where he sat on the bench. The next summer a transfer to Hansa Rostock didn't materialize so he rejoined Most who had been relegated to the 2nd division and played half the season before leaving for Houston.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

they won't give up the pay cheque unless frozen out of their current lcub side. Why would they otherwise?

pretty much sums it up.

if MLS starts to pay better, we'll see more players come home

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

pretty much sums it up.

if MLS starts to pay better, we'll see more players come home

Well, I guess we'll just have to see which players' careers appear to be heading nowhere in Europe for next year's versions of Jakovic, Johnson, and Hainault. Any hunches?

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Essentially, yes.

Not sure the Jakovic situation at Red Star was due merely to one poor game. During the time he was there the club was near bankruptcy, was not paying its players and was in complete turmoil. Regardless he was in a bad situation in which MLS looked attractive in comparison.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Essentially, yes.

Thanks for posting this. I've heard the same thing before from a friend of mine who is a big red star fan. The othe thing about the zero (so he claims) is that he was the only player in club history to receive it.

Serbian football is definately on the up side these days but i'm suprized Jakovic would have done so poorly. He has been really good for DCU. Maybe it was just a case of having a bad run and then getting your confidence shot. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that he could try europe again once his MLS contract is finished. Needless to say cases like this make great cases for going to MLS and developing as opposed to getting raw on the bench.

Other guys who should give some serious thought to coming back: Ryan Gyaki, Andrzej Ornoch, KOA. I'd also say Graham Ramalho, but i have no idea what he's up to these days.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that he could try europe again once his MLS contract is finished. Needless to say cases like this make great cases for going to MLS and developing as opposed to getting raw on the bench.

Other guys who should give some serious thought to coming back: Ryan Gyaki, Andrzej Ornoch, KOA. I'd also say Graham Ramalho, but i have no idea what he's up to these days.

I guess that's where I'm going with my train of thought on the subject. I think it could be a good kick start to come back to NA. And the fact that three of our guys have proven to be effective and key performers this past season might open up the eyes of other US based MLS clubs to use such players .

Surely someone can give KOA a shot....

Or is he still trying to live the European dream? I have not seen him play in a few years so I have no idea what has become of him, but as a kid he was a hell of a player and rated higher then Nana.

Anyone have any updates on him?

No idea where he is Sean. He and Gyaki were both out of contract at end of last season and I have no clue what they are up to. Very unlikely they are in Germany but otherwise don't know.

No idea where he is Sean. He and Gyaki were both out of contract at end of last season and I have no clue what they are up to. Very unlikely they are in Germany but otherwise don't know.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Surely someone can give KOA a shot....

Or is he still trying to live the European dream? I have not seen him play in a few years so I have no idea what has become of him, but as a kid he was a hell of a player and rated higher then Nana.

Anyone have any updates on him?

I remember he was on trial at Salt Lake and apparently (according to a fan blog) they wanted to sign him but nothing ever happened. I'm sure Yallop would give him a look in San Jose as he let him play with LA in a friendly or two when he was just 16 and he impressed

Archived