Paul Winsper has left Toronto FC

Loud Mouth Soup

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Can anyone think of another professional sports team that hyped their fitness trainer and program like TFC did with Winsper? Off the top of my head, I can't. Seems like so much of his hype came from the TFC propaganda/PR machine.

Considering his new executive position at Nike, I'm confident the "hype" was justified.

Really? Was there a worse team in the MLS in terms of team performance past the 80 minute mark? Talked the talk but didn't walk the walk in my books. There's noone in Canada that can get players fit to play 90 minutes? BS.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

^ Not as far as i can remember. They certainly went the extra mile to point out how "great" he was.

A look into the future:

Eddie Kehoe: Eddie spends his time drinking with Mo at the bar which recently landed him a job as TFC's video analyst.

Kehoe has been with TFC since at least 2008, if not 2007.

He's the former GK coach.

Preki strikes me as the type of coach whose fitness routine begins and ends with endless runs until you puke. I doubt that Preki's philosophy and Winsper's sport science methods would mesh so this strikes me as a good move for Paul.

He is very good at what he does but at TFC, he didn't have full buy-in from players.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Can anyone think of another professional sports team that hyped their fitness trainer and program like TFC did with Winsper? Off the top of my head, I can't. Seems like so much of his hype came from the TFC propaganda/PR machine.

...and all because he used to be employed by a Premiership team in England. The question of why he wasn't still with Newcastle United was never really explained.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Jason de Vos now reporting he's off to work for Nike.

He has been doing work for Nike since his arrival in North America.. involved in the Sparc program from Nike... of course anyone watching one of his videos for US soccer has to chuckle seeing the TFC trolleys ....

http://www.sparqtraining.com/features/2008/07/21/paul-winsper-on-us-soccer-and-sparq/

But you know, I can see anything he does in the above video that is unique or revolutinary, in fact most coaches are already doing something simalar. Good luck to him at Nike, he is a good self promotor and I am sure the accent helps in selling Nike in soccer areas in North America.

I would rather get one of the Nike Hockey trainers to work with players, guys like those found outlined here.

http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/niketraining/en_CA/sparq

I was watching some TFC propoganda last night and they specifically poo-poo'd the criticism that 'some people' have leveled at TFC conditioning specifically that they suffered more last 15 minute collapses than any other team in MLS. They (Lee Godfrey and some English fella) said that conditioning was certainly NOT the factor in those late game collapses. Anybody care to enlighten me (as one of those critics) on that point. I guess, to Winsper's credit, injuries did seem to be down this season but it sure seemed to me that the team looked tanked in many games at the end of 80 minutes or so.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I was watching some TFC propoganda last night and they specifically poo-poo'd the criticism that 'some people' have leveled at TFC conditioning specifically that they suffered more last 15 minute collapses than any other team in MLS. They (Lee Godfrey and some English fella) said that conditioning was certainly NOT the factor in those late game collapses. Anybody care to enlighten me (as one of those critics) on that point. I guess, to Winsper's credit, injuries did seem to be down this season but it sure seemed to me that the team looked tanked in many games at the end of 80 minutes or so.

IMO the tactics employed by the coaching staff (ie. kick the ball as far as you can, and chase the other team around like a headless chicken) ensured that no matter how 'fit' the players were, they'd still be gassed towards the end of the game.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

IMO the tactics employed by the coaching staff (ie. kick the ball as far as you can, and chase the other team around like a headless chicken) ensured that no matter how 'fit' the players were, they'd still be gassed towards the end of the game.

So you feel last years team .. suffered from kick and run tactics ? As opposed to a sophisticated ball control regime to use the skill of a Vitti or Guevera ?

Two players can't impose their style on a team when the rest of the parts don't line up. We have one guy on the entire backline who is good with the ball (Serioux) and the movement off the ball on this team is terrible.

So yes, despite having some skilled parts this team too often decided to hoof it. They also employed a lot of mindless effort play from guys like Barrett who would chase down nothing for 65 minutes and be gassed. An impractical way to play during most of the hot summer months of an MLS season.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

Two players can't impose their style on a team when the rest of the parts don't line up. We have one guy on the entire backline who is good with the ball (Serioux) and the movement off the ball on this team is terrible.

So yes, despite having some skilled parts this team too often decided to hoof it. They also employed a lot of mindless effort play from guys like Barrett who would chase down nothing for 65 minutes and be gassed. An impractical way to play during most of the hot summer months of an MLS season.

Sounds to me like your saying Carver was not capable of figuring out hot humid June and July games might require the type of game you play in hot climes .. versus what is played in the English second division in January through to March ?

^ Yeah pretty much, it took Cummins all of one game to at least somewhat turn around the style of play (but it was far from perfect).

The book on TFC for the last two years has been basically blanket Dero and Guevara and hope nobody else can make a play. The lack of quality out wide usually means we degerate to long ball once you take those two out.

Both Dero and Guevara have been criticised for coming back too deep to get the ball .. but the real problem is that nobody back there could find them in an attacking position with any regularity. (not counting JDG in this as he showed up late)

Archived