'Caps and Impact's CCL eligibility in question

Guest Jeffery S.

The US federation has a hot potato on the table as well, when it comes to the Open Cup. Are they going to allow teams from rival leagues to potentially face each other? I think that could be polemical, as from what we are seeing the USL will not recognize the validity of a TOA club. What do they do if they are drawn against one in an Open Cup round?

• 3 weeks later...

Latest on this is that the Impact and Caps are sanctioned for the Nutrilite Canadian Championship no matter what happens with the NASL:-

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2010/01/05/12349666-sun.html

Toronto FC will get the chance to defend its Nutrilite Canadian Championship crown in 2010, even if the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps have no leagues of their own in which to play.

The Canadian Soccer Association confirmed this week that the three-team championship still is slated to go ahead as it has the past two seasons, despite rumours to the contrary.

The CSA made the decision to sanction Montreal and Vancouver in December, meaning that they still can compete for a national championship.....

So the CSA has sanctioned the teams even though the teams don't have a sanctioned league to play in. Reads a bit odd doesn't it?

So two things. 1). Being sanctioned for the Vs Cup makes them eligible for CCL play? 2). If so does that eligibility have strings attached? If the clubs play in a non-sanctioned NASL will it disqualify them from CCL? From the Club World Cup? From receiving Holy Communion? Anything?

The best way to think of it maybe is that the Nutrilite Canadian Championship is Canada's national league in CONCACAF terms even if there are only six games involved in total so what the USSF gets up to with the NASL and USL-D1 isn't actually relevant because that has no bearing on entry to CONCACAF competition by Canadian clubs. The understandable pushing of the name Voyageurs Cup for the competition on here probably obscures that a bit for some people. Worth bearing in mind that in the eyes of the CSA at least the Voyageurs Cup is only the name of the trophy awarded to the winners of the competition in the same way that the Mita Cup was awarded to the champions of the original CSL back in the late 80s and early 90s.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

The best way to think of it maybe is that the Nutrilite Canadian Championship is Canada's national league in CONCACAF terms even if there are only six games involved in total so what the USSF gets up to with the NASL and USL-D1 isn't actually relevant because that has no bearing on entry to CONCACAF competition by Canadian clubs. The understandable pushing of the name Voyageurs Cup for the competition on here probably obscures that a bit for some people. Worth bearing in mind that in the eyes of the CSA at least the Voyageurs Cup is only the name of the trophy awarded to the winners of the competition in the same way that the Mita Cup was awarded to the champions of the original CSL back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Actually it is not considered Canada's league. CONCACAF gives Canada (CSA) 1 place (actually 1/2 place) in the CL tournament and it is up to CSA to determine how it awards the 1 place to its members. Had all 3 teams been in the same league together, I suppose the CSA could have said the place goes to the highest ranked team during regular season.

Personally, I would like the CSA to push hard for 2 places in 2013(actually 1 1/2), where the winner of the Nutrilite Championship gets 1 automatic place in group phase, and highest ranked team in regular season (MLS) gets the 1/2 place (based on 2012 MLS reg season, assuming Montreal is in by then).

Your basis for saying it isn't effectively Canada's national league is what? In other countries around the world the primary basis for entry into premier tiered international club competitions like the CONCACAF Champions League is being the national league champion when there is only one place available. It would be absolutely bizarre in FIFA politics terms (and therefore a dangerous precedent from a FIFA standpoint) to have entry by Canadian teams into what are effectively the qualifiers for FIFA's Club World Cup determined by games played in another country's league so there was a very real need for a separate CSA rather than USSF sanctioned national championship to make entry by TFC, the Impact and Whitecaps possible. It's worth bearing in mind that back in the 1970s top NSL teams like the Serbian White Eagles and Toronto Italia entered CONCACAF's top club competition as Canada's representatives at a time when there were Canadian teams playing at a level roughly comparable to MLS and USL-D1 today in the original NASL and that the present day CSL have been angling for similar access to CONCACAF competition over the last few years.

I don't think the CSA sees any need in turning the Nutrilite Championship into an officially sanctioned national league.

The CSA are allowing the Whitecaps and Impact to participate in the 2010 Nutrilite Championship on the basis that they qualified for this tournament through their participation as properly sanctioned USL1 teams during the 2009 campaign.

The question then remaining is... would those two clubs be eligible for the 2011 Nutrilite Championship if they are not in a sanctioned league during 2010?

My guess is 'where there is a will, there is a way'. The CSA seems to be doing a very good job right now in looking out for it's own while the USSF sorts out the USL/TOA situation.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

^ Vancouver will be in a sanctioned league in 2011, so that's really a question that only concerns Montreal.

^ Ah, dear Rudi, thanks for the laugh ! I like it the way you NEVER miss a chance to remind us all that:

- Vancouver WILL PLAY</u> in MLS in 2011

- On the other hand, Montreal WILL NOT PLAY</u> in MLS in 2011.

To save yourself some work for next time, just copy and paste the above in your post. Quicker this way. [}:)]

Maybe while reading the previous paragraph some forgot the main idea here, what's most important after all:

- Vancouver WILL PLAY</u> in MLS in 2011

- On the other hand, Montreal WILL NOT PLAY</u> in MLS in 2011.

Yeah, I just copied and pasted it. This works great. [:P] ;)

^ Vancouver will be in a sanctioned league in 2011, so that's really a question that only concerns Montreal.

That got me thinking, lets say hypothetically Vancouver wins the 2010 V-cup, goes into the group stage and makes the quartefinals to be played in the winter of 2011, would they be able to play with their new MLS lineup? Would the team be ready?

Would they even be considered the same team? Since technically it is a completely new franchise, right?

Thoughts?

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

That got me thinking, lets say hypothetically Vancouver wins the 2010 V-cup, goes into the group stage and makes the quartefinals to be played in the winter of 2011, would they be able to play with their new MLS lineup? Would the team be ready?

Would they even be considered the same team? Since technically it is a completely new franchise, right?

Thoughts?

I'll try and find out.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

Thoughts?

I'll try and find out.

As much as I love to hate on you guys, I absolutely want Montreal in MLS.

Reading your posts I know that as well and I agree obviously, TOR-MTL will always be a natural rivalry. It was just a remark that has some truth in it, no ?... I find it funny the way people from both Montreal and Toronto prefer to support Vancouver teams as their 2nd team...

Does anybody really hate Vancouver teams ? [:P]

Not in the east at least...

Oh, I hate the Lions. [}:)]

Archived