NASL - How Many Years Before it Folds?

River City

I don't think the issue is about sanctioning and what division each league is. The USSF can't deny sanctioning any legitimate league as they would get laughed out of court on anti-trust issues (especially when the commissioner of MLS is one of the people deciding). And what does the division status actually mean? Nothing from what I can tell.

The issue is whether the TOA teams had legally binding contracts with the USL or not. If you own a McDonalds franchise, you can't just turn it into a Burger King just because you feel like it.

If the USL believes they have a court case, and they actually go to court, that's when it gets messy. Last thing they all want is a case like this heading to the World Cup. FIFA won't have the guts to suspend the US, which might inspire third world countries like Greece and Spain in the future to stand up to FIFA.

What I don't understand about this supposed split, if the TOA teams think the USL is so bad, why don't they pull all their teams? Be it PDL, W-League, and youth teams. They do realize all those leagues are also run by the USL right?

Conversely, why doesn't the USL kick out all the TOA teams from said leagues?

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I don't think the issue is about sanctioning and what division each league is. The USSF can't deny sanctioning any legitimate league as they would get laughed out of court on anti-trust issues (especially when the commissioner of MLS is one of the people deciding). And what does the division status actually mean? Nothing from what I can tell.

The issue is whether the TOA teams had legally binding contracts with the USL or not. If you own a McDonalds franchise, you can't just turn it into a Burger King just because you feel like it.

If the USL believes they have a court case, and they actually go to court, that's when it gets messy. Last thing they all want is a case like this heading to the World Cup. FIFA won't have the guts to suspend the US, which might inspire third world countries like Greece and Spain in the future to stand up to FIFA.

What I don't understand about this supposed split, if the TOA teams think the USL is so bad, why don't they pull all their teams? Be it PDL, W-League, and youth teams. They do realize all those leagues are also run by the USL right?

Conversely, why doesn't the USL kick out all the TOA teams from said leagues?

I think Nurock are only interested in the profitable developmental leagues (PDL, Super 20, Super Y, etc.) USL div 1 and 2 are not big money earners and most likely bleed money like crazy. I think, and this is just my feeling, that Nurock are looking for some kind of financial compensation from the TOA before letting them loose.

Nurock has nothing to gain from kicking out all the TOA's developmental teams. I think Nurock and TOA will reach a deal where TOA keeps its dev teams in the USL and get to breakaway as a div 2 league (NASL) in return for an undisclosed amount of cash.

Archived