Edmonton 2011 NASL

DigzTFC

Well well well...

I was wondering when Mel Kowalchuk's name would appear again in the Canadian footy landscape. Hopefully he'll put a little more effort in it than with the Saskatoon Accelerators. Understandably there's not much you can do with a bizarre league with bizarre rules, but still, this ought to be interesting.

Edmonton footy fans, be nervously optimistic. Hopefully another Canadian expansion side will show up for 2011 as well. It's certainly be a help.

quote:Originally posted by Passive Observer

So if I understand correctly - Whitecaps (NASL) will be SOLD to the group from Edmonton. Guess that means it won't really be feeder club for Whitecaps (MLS).

This might be good for everyone that wants to see the Voyageurs Cup expand. If the Whitecaps don't own the Drillers there should be no problem including them in the competition.

The Caps could still have an arrangement to loan young players to the Drillers.

I hope this goes ahead and that they get some advice from the Vancouver group about how to run the franchise. Professional soccer in Canada does not need another failure in Alberta.

Does read like there is a going to be a very friendly business relationship between the two entities if this comes off. Which of course can't be anything but a benefit for both sides. Vancouver gets a club which could feed them players and Edmonton gets access to promising players from Vancouver and the attraction of being the stepping stone to MLS. Not a bad deal.

Some experienced business men with money backing the venture, a bit of expert mentoring from the Left Coast, this bird might fly.

So this must be the route Kerfoot & Co. have found to skirt MLS's by-laws regarding owning clubs in other leagues.

So if I understand correctly - Whitecaps (NASL) will be SOLD to the group from Edmonton.

I read it as they had previously offered to buy the franchise outright but that this deal was a partnership. Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens.

So if I understand correctly - Whitecaps (NASL) will be SOLD to the group from Edmonton. Guess that means it won't really be feeder club for Whitecaps (MLS).

$40 to $100 tickets for Everton - River Plate: absolutely shocking! Would not trust such a lot to do anything great.

Well Lenarduzzi did say publicly before the TOA/NASL blowup that the 'Caps were contemplating entering a U-23 team in USL-1 when the first team moved to MLS, but that it wouldn't necessarily play in a Canadian city. I can't find where I read this now so don't ask for a link.

$40 to $100 tickets for Everton - River Plate: absolutely shocking! Would not trust such a lot to do anything great.

I agree with you 100%. I see a couple names involved in this Edmonton party that make me very worried for the proper management of the team. IF the Caps can keep some form of control or at least grand influence, this team might fly; otherwise, I would be worried about yet another flop in Edmonton, and that is certainly something that center needs to avoid at all costs.

quote:Originally posted by Watchmen

While I certainly hope this works out, what exactly are they buying from the Whitecaps, and why would the league allow this instead of an expansion team (in which an expansion fee could be split amongst the teams)?

I think they will acquire anything the Caps will leave behind when they jump in MLS, staff and players. Players the MLS Caps will want to keep with them will be granted new contracts for the MLS while others could continue their carreer in Edmonton. I think that it opens a door for long-term signings by this year's NASL Caps with this possibility that the Drillers may have to acknowledge the contracts already given by the Caps. I think that all this process' gonna look like a simple relocation more than anything else. The Drillers won't be a brand new franchise but just another incarnation of an already existing one. The new franchise in 2011 won't be the Drillers, it will be the Caps.

The NASL will allow this because it's the right of any owner to sell his franchise if he wants to. Then at this point, it's up to anyone with some $$$ to buy the franchise and locate it where he wants. Imagine the scenario in a different league, let's say the NFL. So, the Baltimore owner wants to sell his team and someone in Des Moines (came out of left field I know) wants to buy it and transfer the team in his hometown. How Goodell could show up and say "Hey, you, the Baltimore guy, why don't you just fold your team and lose for good every buck we gladly accepted from you so we can tell this moron in Des Moines to create his own brand new team from scratch, this way we could cash in like fat pigs !".

No, it won't happen. There are rules for that and those rules are on the verge of being set, NASL is at this moment starting from scratch. Kerfoot is among the guys who started the breakaway league, so the rules are partly set by himself. And what is more important now, not to say the priority for the TOA is to strongly establish the base of a brand new league in the long term, not shoot themselves in the foot to make more money in the short term while losing more ground behind other sports franchises in NASL cities.

^ Not sure.

[...] with Vancouver involved for just the one season before Edmonton replaces the Whitecaps franchise</u>.

The franchise</u>'s management and financial backing is believed to come from [...]

I know this comes from a NA <s>journalist</s> columnist who probably didn't give a crap about this saga before he got the scoop about the Drillers, but the articles I read about the NASL so far don't seem to address this question clearly neither. Some help please ?

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

I think they will acquire anything the Caps will leave behind when they jump in MLS, staff and players. Players the MLS Caps will want to keep with them will be granted new contracts for the MLS while others could continue their carreer in Edmonton. I think that it opens a door for long-term signings by this year's NASL Caps with this possibility that the Drillers may have to acknowledge the contracts already given by the Caps. I think that all this process' gonna look like a simple relocation more than anything else. The Drillers won't be a brand new franchise but just another incarnation of an already existing one. The new franchise in 2011 won't be the Drillers, it will be the Caps.

The NASL will allow this because it's the right of any owner to sell his franchise if he wants to. Then at this point, it's up to anyone with some $$$ to buy the franchise and locate it where he wants.

Maybe, except that the Caps have been signing players to 1 year deals and it's hard to imagine too many of them signing multi-year deals. As a player, if you're going to have to move anyway, why not explore your options a bit more? As for the staff, my guess is that a lot of them will simply move over to the MLS team.

Did you follow the Phoenix Coyotes situation at all? If the other owners don't want you selling/relocating a team they can absolutely prevent it. I'm not saying that's going to happen, but it easily could.

It just seems that the only difference between this sale to Edmonton and an expansion franchise might be that only one team would profit (Vancouver) instead of all the teams in the league.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

^just goes to show that you can take the boy out of East Van, but can never take the East Van out of the boy. It's particularly poignant in this case, as the Duze has lived in a posh neighbourhood in the North Shore for at least twenty years.

hahaha I think he means "franchise"

The viability of a Canadian pro club would be enhanced with inclusion into the Voyageur's Cup. That being said, I would not let them into the tournament in 2011, and maybe not 2012 or beyond either.

Not letting them in for 2011 is obvious really. They will not be very good on the field (the V Cup should be kept at a high standard), their off-field organization will be unproven, and there will be doubts in some people's minds about whether they will last any longer than the Aviators did.

For 2012, you might want to consider it, but there will be a couple of important issues to discuss. The first is that Montreal might then be in MLS, so can Edmonton compete with three MLS clubs when only in its' second year, or does the V Cup go exclusively MLS for awhile.

The second issue concerns club independence. The Edmonton Drillers should not only be 100% owned by Edmonton interests, but also given time to distance itself from the Whitecaps organization. You can't let them into the V Cup before all Whitecaps links are severed. Lets face it, soccer fans can get pretty paranoid at times, and after the "Miracle in Montreal" this year, allowing one soft goal/own goal by Edmonton against Vancouver in a V Cup game would have Toronto and Montreal fans putting on their tinfoil hats and crashing several internet forums.

The same applies for any Impact spinoff club after they move to MLS. Any Canadian soccer club would like to get into the V Cup and make some extra money, but standards have to be maintained.

Archived