CSA Player of the Year Nominees

Guest Ed

I haven't noticed this posted yet. From the CSA website:

Male Nominees from the Men’s national team / Joueurs en nomination de l’équipe nationale masculine senior

- de Guzman, Julian M Scarborough, ON, CAN CAN / Toronto FC

- De Rosario, Dwayne M Scarborough, ON, CAN CAN / Toronto FC

- Gerba, Ali F Montréal, QC, CAN CAN / Toronto FC

- Hutchinson, Atiba M Brampton, ON, CAN DEN / F.C. København

- Jackson, Simeon M Mississauga, ON, CAN ENG / Gillingham FC

- Johnson, Will F Toronto, ON, CAN USA / Real Salt Lake

- Klukowski, Mike D/M Oshawa, ON, CAN BEL / Club Brugge KV

- McKenna, Kevin D/F Calgary, AB, CAN GER / 1. FC Köln

- Pizzolitto, Nevio D Montréal, QC, CAN CAN / Impact de Montréal

- other selection/ autre

Female Nominees from the Winners – Women’s national team – presented by Teck / Joueuses en nomination de l’équipe nationale féminine Winners et dont le partenaire - présentateur est Teck

- Chapman, Candace D/M Ajax, ON, CAN USA / FC Gold Pride

- Franko, Martina F/D Squamish, BC, CAN USA / Los Angeles Sol

- LeBlanc, Karina G Maple Ridge, BC, CAN USA / Los Angeles Sol

- Matheson, Diana M Oakville, ON, CAN NOR / Team Strømmen FK

- McLeod, Erin G Edmonton, AB, CAN USA / Washington Freedom

- Moscato, Carmelina M Mississauga, ON, CAN ITA / U.P.C Tavagnacco

- Parker, Kelly M Saskatoon, SK, CAN USA / Sky Blue FC

- Sinclair, Christine F Burnaby, BC, CAN USA / FC Gold Pride

- Wilkinson, Rhian M Baie d’Urfé, QC, CAN NOR / Team Strømmen FK

- other selection/ autre

Canadian U-20 Players of the Year / Joueurs U20 canadiens de l’année

>>Voting by Canadian coaches / Élus par les entraîneurs canadiens

Male Nominees (born 1989 or later) from the Men’s U-20 team / Joueurs en nomination (nés en 1989 ou après) de l’équipe masculine U20

- Attakora-Gyan, Nana D Orangeville, ON, Canada CAN / Toronto FC

- Edwini-Bonsu, Randy F Edmonton, AB, Canada CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- Haber, Marcus F Vancouver, BC, CAN CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- Hoilett, David M Brampton, ON, CAN ENG / Blackburn Rovers

- Sidra, Eddy D Edmonton, AB, Canada GER / FC Energie Cottbus

- Straith, Adam D Victoria, BC, Canada GER / FC Energie Cottbus (on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps FC)

- other selection/ autre

Female Nominees (born 1990 or later) from the Winners – Women’s U-20 team / Joueuses en nomination (nées en 1990 ou après) de l’équipe féminine U20 Winners

- Chénard, Laura M Ste-Luce, QC, CAN CAN / SC Amiral Québec

- Colpitts, Dayle G Fredericton, NB, CAN CAN / NTC-Atlantic

- Filigno, Jonelle M Mississauga, ON, CAN USA / Rutgers University

- Pachecho, Gina M Ottawa, ON, CAN USA / University of South Florida

- Patterson, Taylor M Edmonton, AB, CAN USA / University of South Florida

- Stewart, Chelsea M/F The Pas, MB, CAN USA / Vanderbilt University

- other selection/ autre

Canadian U-17 Players of the Year / Joueurs U17 canadiens de l’année

>>Voting by Canadian coaches / Élus par les entraîneurs canadiens

Male Nominees (born 1992 or later) from the BMO Financial Group - Men’s U-17 team / Joueurs en nomination (nés en 1992 ou après) de l’équipe masculine U17 Groupe financier BMO

- Augustin, Francesco D Montréal, QC, CAN CAN / Attak de Trois-Rivières

- Bassi, Derrick D Delta, BC, CAN ENG / Middlesbrough FC

- Cobby, Kevin M Brampton, ON, CAN CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- Hoilett, Jaineil F Brampton, ON, CAN GER / FSV Mainz'05

- Lao, Jonathan M Markham, ON, CAN CAN / TFC Academy

- Teibert, Russell M Niagara Falls, ON, CAN CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- other selection / autre

Female Nominees (born 1993 or later) from the BMO Financial – Women’s U-17 team / Joueuses en nomination (nées en 1993 ou après) de l’équipe féminine U17 Groupe financier BMO

- Cantave, Haisha F Orléans, ON, CAN CAN / Capital United FC

- Ghoneim, Nour F Aurora, ON, CAN CAN / Richmond Hill Raiders

- Hémond, Sabrina M Sherbrooke, QC, CAN CAN / Lac St-Louis Lakers

- Raymer, Abigail M Victoria, BC, CAN CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- Setterlund, Nicole M Surrey, BC, CAN CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- Simpson, Diamond M Mississauga, ON, CAN CAN / Dixie Dragons

- other selection / autre

My votes (men only) for now:

Player - Will Johnson

U20 Player - David Hoillet

U17 Player - Russel Teibert

Hoilett just squeaked past Haber due to his outstanding play with FC St Pauli in the first 5 months of 2009.

Firstly, I think there are too many nominees! 5 in each category would do.

Okay here are my picks:

MNT: Klukowski (Great performances for Canada, constant starter for Brugge)

U20: Hoilett (Premier League minutes as a 19-year old. Excellent season in the 2.Bundesliga)

U17: Teibert (based completely on heresay)

Pat Onstad = Geezer of the year award! ;)

Man I don't know how you can do it but for god's sake keep doing it! To play at the top level of North American soccer at that age is amazing but to be "The Man" between the pipes like he was this year for a top 3 side like Houston is miraculous (queue angelic voices in harmony).

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Man I don't know how you can do it but for god's sake keep doing it! To play at the top level of North American soccer at that age is amazing but to be "The Man" between the pipes like he was this year for a top 3 side like Houston is miraculous (queue angelic voices in harmony).

I find it amazing that the CSA isn't listing him. If they can list Nevio, who is technically not in the MNT picture anymore, they can list Pat who has been arguably the best Canadian in the MLS this year.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

IS Pat your Brother or something?

How can you possibly nominate an individual for a Canadian Award when you have not committed to play for Canada. Maybe they should rethink putting any name forward who is on the fence. You play for your Country, clear, clean cut decision, or leave those names out. To play for Canada is a priviledge, not a right. Man, when are we going to get soccer straight in this Country. God Bless them where ever they play there Club Soccer, but when the Call for Country comes out, be there and consider it a blessing that you were ever thought of! All who do not commit for the call to duty, forget any other consideration for a Canadian award.....period!

quote:Originally posted by stacks

IS Pat your Brother or something?

No but he is close to my age and he is still a dominant keeper at the top level in NA soccer. The hair may be gray but his abilities are still amazingly first rate. Just consider it one old geezer cheering for another [8D]

quote:Originally posted by FIRST ELEVEN

How can you possibly nominate an individual for a Canadian Award when you have not committed to play for Canada. Maybe they should rethink putting any name forward who is on the fence. You play for your Country, clear, clean cut decision, or leave those names out. To play for Canada is a priviledge, not a right. Man, when are we going to get soccer straight in this Country. God Bless them where ever they play there Club Soccer, but when the Call for Country comes out, be there and consider it a blessing that you were ever thought of! All who do not commit for the call to duty, forget any other consideration for a Canadian award.....period!

But is this not a good way of trying to convince players to commit to Canada?

To me, the CSA is showing David that his progress has not gone unnoticed and that they believe that he could be an important part of the future.

It's all well and good to be indignant and wax poetic about the privilege of playing for Canada but, in reality, that's not going to get you very far. However, on the other hand, you could be proactive and make sure that players that we have a legitimate claim to* know that they would be important parts of the future and make them feel welcomed by the program.

The nature of our population means that we will always be faced with kids having options, so why not try to convince them that Canada is the right choice through recognition like this** rather than passively hoping their national pride will guide their choices?

*ie. kids that are born and bred in Canada. Not those that have a tenuous relationship (like Bircham for example).

** and not any other means like money or whatnot.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

To me, the CSA is showing David that his progress has not gone unnoticed and that they believe that he could be an important part of the future.

That's how I perceived the move.

But, on a personnal note, I prefer ignoring him until he commits to Canada and vote for someone who has shown some commitment to the program.

Got my request from the CSA for a vote on Fan's Player of the Year (went De Rosario, as indicated above). They're using a free polling service rather than the old "e-mail Richard Scott" method. Classy.

Surely the Voyageurs' International Player of the Year vote is coming up. It reminds me that I am getting older.

quote:Originally posted by FIRST ELEVEN

Well, more important than awards, we give caps out to players who end up ditching Canada. David has done no worse, and in my books should be supported just like an other young, uncapped Canadian should be.

In fact, a lot of this "worrying" by Canadian footy fans is because of all his great accomplishments. I'm not saying we shouldn't be a bit concerned he hasn't dawned the Maple Leaf yet, but at the same time lets not clump him with douches like Begovic, JDG2, etc just yet.

I voted in the CSA Fan's Choice award after I got an email from the Association. (The voting format -- on an ad-supported free survey site -- is possibly the only thing more amateurish than an email to the CSA PR guy who has to tally it himself).

I voted for Klukowski. Would have liked to have voted for De Ro, but he didn't play much for Canada in '09 (at all?) and TFC failed to make the playoffs.

If I had been given the option of a runner-up, I'd have chosen Will Johnson.

Archived